Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 10:34 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Now the progressives are pushing for $2,000 a MONTH for the duration of the pandemic. Does this mean I can quit my job? Looks like this in addition to working if you make less than $120K

This is a new MSN headline

Progressives Push for $2,000 Monthly Stimulus Checks and 65% of Americans Support It

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
Economic illiterates. It would be hard to come up with a more stupid and destructive idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 05:50 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Welfare handout? It us to help people get through a disaster and to keep the economy from going even further in the tank. Where is the shame in that? What would you do? Nothing?
The economy isn't going in the tank due to lack of consumer spending. Total 2020 holiday retail sales were up up 3% YOY compared to the projected 2.4%. That's 25% ABOVE expectations. People ARE spending money.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The economy isn't going in the tank due to lack of consumer spending. Total 2020 holiday retail sales were up up 3% YOY compared to the projected 2.4%. That's 25% ABOVE expectations. People ARE spending money.
It's a hand out. Most economists are opposed to this. Unemployment should be enhanced due to the pandemic, but just sending out money to people that are doing di e is ridiculous. Even Paul Krugman acknowledges its not good policy. It's populist nonsense and destructive wasteful policy.

I

Old 01-17-2021, 11:16 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Now the progressives are pushing for $2,000 a MONTH for the duration of the pandemic. Does this mean I can quit my job? Looks like this in addition to working if you make less than $120K

Progressives Push for $2,000 Monthly Stimulus Checks and 65% of Americans Support It

look at this quote from the article:

Quote:
Markey, Sanders and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris introduced a bill last May that would provide $2,000 a month to Americans that earn less than $120,000 for the duration of the pandemic and for three months after the crisis ends. Under the legislation, married couples would get $4,000 a month, and parents and caregivers would be provided with $2,000 per child, with a cap at three children. The proposal would backpay individuals to March 2020.

Democratic Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts has also repeatedly called for recurring direct payments to Americans. "The people deserve, demand and require $2,000 recurring monthly survival checks," she tweeted this week after Biden unveiled his latest stimulus plan.

so a family of 5 (two adults and 3 children) would get 10k/month...and BACKPAID back to March2020...meaning that family of 5 would get a 100k backpay check

these guys are looking to make 10 trillion in debt in one year

Old 01-17-2021, 11:24 AM

20,113 posts, read 9,028,155 times
Quote:

let's do it! love that cash!

Old 01-17-2021, 11:27 AM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Why should we finance the Rihana’s and famous who don’t pay taxes?

What are you getting in exchange for taxes you pay?

I'm pretty sure the rich and famous pay more taxes than you make in several years.

You think poor people are funding America's military, essential services, social security, and government employees and pensions?

Old 01-17-2021, 11:44 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Have you been grocery shopping lately? Mac & Cheese will run you about $5 for 2 boxes unless you buy that powdered cheese crap that isn't even edible.
As for the rest of your list :
Box of Cereal $4-$5
Peanut Butter $3-$4
Beans $2-3
Eggs $1-2
Gallon of Milk $4
Tuna $5-6
Bananas $2
Apples $3-4

$15 ain't got it cut it.
I dont know where in Florida you're shopping, but theres a Walmart within nearly every Floridian. Im not underestimating the issues at hand, but get a grip.

Cereal - under $2 a box for the Great Value brand.

peanut butter - under $2 for 16 oz.

beans - canned, .68 a can

eggs - $1.33 for a dozen and a half

milk - gallon 2.50

tuna - cans under $1

bananas - .19 each

apples - $1 per pound

You need to learn how to shop. When you're broke, you buy what you can afford.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:39 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,967 times
Quote:

This "Trickle Up Theory" would filter up from people who will actually spend the money on goods that stimulate the economy. A rising tide floats all boats. I'm all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Economic illiterates. It would be hard to come up with a more stupid and destructive idea.

Trickle Down Theory.

Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down, Study Says

Old 01-17-2021, 02:46 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
look at this quote from the article:

so a family of 5 (two adults and 3 children) would get 10k/month...and BACKPAID back to March2020...meaning that family of 5 would get a 100k backpay check

these guys are looking to make 10 trillion in debt in one year
This could bankrupt us faster than current predictions. That is what China is waiting for. Then they will step in. Wait till they see how hard they will have to work and for slave wages under China rule.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
This "Trickle Up Theory" would filter up from people who will actually spend the money on goods that stimulate the economy. A rising tide floats all boats. I'm all for it.

Trickle Down Theory.

Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down, Study Says
The only part of the economy to benefit will be the one that is held by the richest 1%. They are thanking you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies