Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 08:42 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So you also are starting any consideration on anyone's health from the POV that they *are* infected/sick?

I have no signs or symptoms or Ebola, so I will say with a high degree of certainty that I do not have it.
I have no signs or symptoms of diabetes, so I will say with a high degree of certainty that I do not have it.
I have no signs or symptoms of malaria, so I will say with a high degree of certainty that I do not have it.

Likewise, I have no signs or symptoms of COVID, so I will say with a high degree of certainty that I do not have it.

You would have me, along with everyone else, treated as though I/we have all four, no matter one's physical condition or lack of manifestation of symptoms?
That is exactly the way they would have it. Treat everyone as if they are infected with leprosy just in case they are. That is the logic of the common man these days. Pretty astounding, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 08:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Bad look, Canada. Bad look.
Was anybody unarmed and shot while this was happening?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom...-as-in-whites/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police..._United_States

Now that's a reeeaaallly bad look!

If image is of such a concern for some, I'd suggest looking closer to home.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:53 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,408,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
So called "freedom loving" people like yourself wouldn't be living in the U.S. you'd move to Canada which is rated by every independent org out there as having more freedoms of all kinds from individual, through economic to freedom of the press than does the U.S.

Of course you're free to believe your meme and stay in a country with less freedoms, but, you'd better get busy and take some risks yourself. You've got a lot of catching up to do to get back into the top tier, first world countries, instead of being down there with Romania.

Take heart though; you've only got to gain two points to be the equal of Greece.
How much freedom you have on any given issue in US/Canada would need to specify which state and province is being compared, as the results would differ based on that imo.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:07 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
According to Surete du Quebec Lt. Eric Simard, the original intention of the officers was to respond to a call they had received, shutting down the festivities, and issuing an official warning.

What I find fascinating is when a black person 'resists' arrest they are scolded for not just going along with the officers -- but in this case -- these folks over reacting -- seriously all they had to do was 'shut it down', and it would have ended it all.......

Resisting and fighting back is the right thing.

It's over stepping -- only six people --- hmmmm -- wonder if there was more to the story of why the neighbor called the police? I don't know -- seems excessive, folks should have just obliged the police right?

Wrong, folks should not have to oblige the police for a six-person gathering inside their home. How much are you going to take?

Old 01-04-2021, 01:04 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, I certainly do. But in my opinion, the forfeiture of rights is not worth the implementation of tyranny. I would prefer to die rather than impose tyranny upon my countrymen or have it imposed upon me. Too many very, wise men have warned us against it in the past. I'll head their warnings.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin

Those words were uttered when diseases were common that had a 30% or 50% or more mortality rate, rather than the 0.14% mortality rate that we now have with covid. If they were true when contracting a disease was commonly a death sentence, they are most certainly true now when contracting covid is no worse than a cold for the overwhelming majority (notice I said "majority," not "all") of those who contract it.

And I know that sounds very cold for you leftist types. You'll just have to accept that we have far different philosophies on life, governance, and society. I say that knowing that there is no way you will accept that difference. It's your way or no way. Therein lies our problem as a nation: two mutually exclusive philosophies that cannot coexist in peace because one is the philosophy of tyranny.
The person you’re replying to is Canadian.

A snowbird, but nonetheless Canadian

Quote:
That is why we need to separate ourselves--for the sanity and benefit of both sides.

But again, I say that knowing you folks would never accept such a solution. Power over others is too important for you to just give it up so easily.
Never going to happen.

Too many people of differing philosophies live among each other, and there would never be agreement re division of the debt.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:04 AM

7,677 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubled View Post
Indeed it is.......I wonder if he could sue??????
Actually, the guy seems lucky to have been in Canada when resisting arrest. My impression is this had been in the U.S., the crime of resisting arrest would have been punishable by being shot or choked to death. Judge, jury and executioner on the spot.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:42 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

Wrong, folks should not have to oblige the police for a six-person gathering inside their home. How much are you going to take?
Everyone in Quebec knows what the laws are during that province's extreme health crisis. One of the laws is that no group of non-residents may gather in another person's residence. That law is what the vast majority of the population of that province have requested and they've got the law they asked for. Only a small minority of people are law-breakers who object to that law and law-breakers are subject to having the police intervene. That's their job.

You ask how much are people going to take but clearly you don't understand that the people have been given what they requested and got for the good of all during a crisis. For the good of all, not just for the good of only a minority of thoughtless self entitled individuals with no foresight or common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubled View Post
Indeed it is.......I wonder if he could sue??????
Sue who for what? Are you asking if he can sue the police department because he knowingly broke the law of the province, assaulted a police officer and resisted arrest and got taken away for it?

That would be ridiculous. He blatantly broke several laws. If he tried to sue anyone there isn't a lawyer that would willingly defend him or a court in the land that would not laugh him out of the court house and straight into a jail cell.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to the point for all of you American folks who are expressing outraged indignation over laws you know nothing about of a province in another country that you clearly absolutely know nothing about, I'll say this. While I think it's fantastic that our good City Data hosts have provided a forum where you can express your individual opinions I hope you all understand that when it comes to your opinions they are just opinions. Your opinions about what you think is best for Canada as opposed to what Canada's citizens think is best and want for their own country ...... well, your uninformed opinions are irrelevant and not important to Canadians. Canadians know better and they don't agree with you. So they'll continue to do what they need to do for Canada first and foremost without regard to opinions of foreigners.

I'm thinking some of you just wanted to rant about Canada's provinces various different covid-19 emergency laws that have been put in place because it temporarily helps take your minds off the much, much worse problems that you all presently have in your own country with your own laws, your own police problems and especially with so many more of your own fellow Americans who don't agree with you either.

Hang in there folks and tough it out. Don't let your senses of doom get the better of you. Things will get better. Good luck.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-04-2021 at 03:07 AM..

Old 01-04-2021, 08:52 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Everyone in Quebec knows what the laws are during that province's extreme health crisis.
Extreme health crisis. Jesus. You people have absolutely no clue what an "extreme health crisis" is. You'll probably never see one, but study up on black death. That was an extreme health crisis. Two thirds of your fellow citizens would be laying dead in the street with nobody around to bury them. Smallpox; there was another rather extreme health crisis. Read about the mortality rate for that one.

I wonder what most of you would do in a true "extreme health crisis"? If the disease didn't kill you, you'd likely kill yourselves in an attempt to avoid the disease.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
I see our Northern friends have opted to begin the New Year with fresh ire and fragile self esteems.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:02 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Extreme health crisis. Jesus. You people have absolutely no clue what an "extreme health crisis" is. You'll probably never see one, but study up on black death. That was an extreme health crisis. Two thirds of your fellow citizens would be laying dead in the street with nobody around to bury them. Smallpox; there was another rather extreme health crisis. Read about the mortality rate for that one.

I wonder what most of you would do in a true "extreme health crisis"? If the disease didn't kill you, you'd likely kill yourselves in an attempt to avoid the disease.
You're dealing with Nanny State, bed wetters, afraid of their own shadow that believe everything the Communist Propaganda MEDIA tells them.

This is not the Plague. This is an old/sick person virus, not worthy of the shut downs and economic and life chaos that government and MEDIA has put in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies