Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
No one can "live on" food stamps.

There are limits, time limits, and work requirements.
Many people do not know this fact, but for some of those who do obtain this new knowledge they will continue to speak ill of the people who are using them. If it was up to them they would eliminate the program entirely.

I know people who need them, but will not get them because of their pride. When I was in school full-time working on my Master's I would not get them, because of my pride and the fact that I have worked in this field for a long time and just did not want the govt. in my business like I know they will do. I could have saved 200-300 dollars per month, but I just could not imagine filling out paperwork and having appointments to speak to someone about feeding my child. My loss because two years times 200-300 dollars a month could have saved a good amount of money. All the other mothers with children were doing it and were criticizing me for being to prideful. That I was, yet I also was a fool not to because that money was sorely needed later on down the line and I had to tap in to some of my retirement money, which I was not happy about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I thought food stamps were to supplement buying groceries, not be the sole source of food? I think that now is the time to plant home vegetable gardens. In Boston, there are several community garden plots for residents to grow their own vegetables.

Otherwise, I've stood in line behind people paying with food stamps, and I've never ever seen those people choosing their groceries wisely. I'm a big fan of marked down dented cans, sale price vegetables, and meat with extra coupons because those packages need to be sold that day. Or going to Costco with another family and splitting up bulk items. Meat is still cheaper than buying vegetables. Americans eat too much meat. And tap water is free. Skip the soda and juice drinks. Whole chickens are cheaper than buying cut up sections.

And some people need to think hard before having children. If you can't afford them, then don't have them or offer them up for adoption. If you can afford to feed them, then you also can't afford to help them into college. Adoption is a good option. I know many people with adopted children and they are good happy loving family units.
I'm curious how you know they are using foodstamps and not child support? I usually try to keep my attention on my own purchases at checkout, in the interest of economy :wink:

Last edited by norcalmom101; 07-07-2008 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: missing wink

Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You thought right.

The main problem is that food stamp users are ignorant, have no financial skills, and are poor money managers, plus they're bad planners and don't know how to shop.
I am a college graduate (honors), hold two jobs, and have extensive volunteer experience. I am very well read, an astute investor, and have successfully operated a profitable small business.

My two children and I qualify for about $300 in foodstamps per month, which is inadequate to feed us all. I have a silly habit of monitoring food prices over time and by retailer so I know the high and low price range for any given item and buy accordingly.

I also have extensive menu planning and nutrition training and experience. And you will never know whether I am using my child support or food stamp benefits, unless perhaps you are also attempting to steal my PIN.

IMHO, some CD posters are very obviously ignorant and judgemental and should try to learn a bit more about the world around them before they make fools of themselves.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 PM

564 posts, read 815,427 times
Food stamps are the worst thing ever invented.

I had a friend on food stamps growing up. Our family was as poor as them. My parents had too much pride to get on food stamps.

Fast forward 15 years.. I saw my old friend and yes, his family is still dirt poor living on food stamps.

My family is now rather affluent.

Food stamps create a dependency.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Food stamps are the worst thing ever invented.

I had a friend on food stamps growing up. Our family was as poor as them. My parents had too much pride to get on food stamps.

Fast forward 15 years.. I saw my old friend and yes, his family is still dirt poor living on food stamps.

My family is now rather affluent.

Food stamps create a dependency.
How very understanding and compassionate of you.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 PM

I'm very compassionate.

Food stamps equate to this..

Your kid cries and wants a candybar. You buy it for him. You feel good about yourself for giving something to him.. nice and fuzzy. He realized he cries and gets candy.. so he does it again.. he gets the candy again.. he cries again.. again gets candy. All the while you are making him happy and think you are a good parent.

Are you really a good parent? Have you created a dependancy for your child?

Tough love is true love. People on food stamps who have a physical or mental disability need to move into shelters and hospitals to receive treatment. The rest of the people with no disability need to find jobs and join the rest of society.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 PM

I have a family member who is a manager for the local newspaper here. He can't fill routes.. I mean routes that pay $400-$500/week. He can't find employees. Why? B/c people refuse to wake up early to throw papers and to work 7 days a week. People on food stamps should suck it up and take these kinds of jobs but why should they? They get free food from their Uncle Sam. It makes the liberals feel warm and fuzzy to give and give and give.. but all they are is bad parents refusing to give out tough love to solve real problems.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 PM

You have to be engaged in employment activities to receive foodstamps unless you have a legitimate disability. People who qualify for food benefits and who don't get them because of "pride" are abusing their children.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
I have a family member who is a manager for the local newspaper here. He can't fill routes.. I mean routes that pay $400-$500/week. He can't find employees. Why? B/c people refuse to wake up early to throw papers and to work 7 days a week. People on food stamps should suck it up and take these kinds of jobs but why should they? They get free food from their Uncle Sam. It makes the liberals feel warm and fuzzy to give and give and give.. but all they are is bad parents refusing to give out tough love to solve real problems.
I'm curious, for the single Mom who has small children and her husband has run out on her, paying no child support as happens so often, who is going to take care of her children at that hour, 7 days a week for her to go out and do this job?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
You have to be engaged in employment activities to receive foodstamps unless you have a legitimate disability. People who qualify for food benefits and who don't get them because of "pride" are abusing their children.

Child abuse? My parents refused food stamps and I'm a college grad.

My friends parents welcomed them with open arms and the last time I saw my friend John.. Umm.. he's heading down food stamp isle.

We always had food. My dad just worked extra jobs while my friends dad sat in his lazy boy eating steaks and ice cream. They always had the best food over there. We'd beg our parents to let us eat over there. That.. is child abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies