Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 11:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
With Democrats coming to power and more Americans approving of legalization what do you predict will happen with federal marijuana laws?
Since Dems have the Senate, it will be legalized nationally within the next few years and most states that haven't legalized it likely will. There will probably a few states that drag their feet just as there was with alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 11:53 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im surprised we havent seen a modern day 'Reefer Madness' type film, so they can scare kids into thinking if they use drugs just one time, they will go insane and murder their parents!
I saw plenty of that kind of stuff in D.A.R.E. when I was in middle school. We all know how much of a success D.A.R.E. was.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:55 AM

141 posts, read 83,976 times
At this point, Government will do whatever the MD's tell them to do. Md's against MJ, cuz it cuts into their trade. Look for de-legalization by way of Federal enforcement.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:56 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I wouldn't get my hopes up as Biden is a moderate, old-line Democrat. Big Pharma, a no-brainer, would fight it!
He'll have to veto it, both chambers will pass it. The House already has passed legislation on legalization. It's coming, and it's overdue.

Think about this: Tobacco is legal and addictive, and marijuana is neither.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll/3791933001/

Old 01-08-2021, 12:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Times are changing. More states are decriminalized or making legal. It will happen at the federal level but I don't think for a bit.

I'm not sure it is a priority during a pandemic, & economic bad times.

So much to deal with......back burner issue for sure.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:05 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
If the Federal government decriminalized marijuana it would be legal in 49 states.

There is one state that is so special, so full of red tape, bureaucracy, and a legislature that can't tie their shoes and chew gum at the same time...that even when it's residents overwhelmingly voted to legalize recreational marijuana.....it is still illegal.

No surprise that it is also the only state in America where it's residents are incapable of even pumping their own gas and are proud of it.

There are 2 states where you cannot pump your own gas. NJ and Oregon. Regardless of your faux pas most Americans support decriminalizing marijuana.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
I'm a Democrat but I'm liking the way it is. My state is averaging $300M+ a year in marijuana tax revenue. I'm liking our piece of the pie, no need to change it by making it legal everywhere.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:42 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
If the Federal government decriminalized marijuana it would be legal in 49 states.

There is one state that is so special, so full of red tape, bureaucracy, and a legislature that can't tie their shoes and chew gum at the same time...that even when it's residents overwhelmingly voted to legalize recreational marijuana.....it is still illegal.

No surprise that it is also the only state in America where it's residents are incapable of even pumping their own gas and are proud of it.

Louisiana?(!)?

Old 01-08-2021, 09:49 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
With Democrats coming to power and more Americans approving of legalization what do you predict will happen with federal marijuana laws?
No.

States will gradually libertarianize their drug laws.

It took President Trump and a Republican Senate to enact sentence reform that Obama never touched.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:50 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I wouldn't get my hopes up as Biden is a moderate, old-line Democrat. Big Pharma, a no-brainer, would fight it!

This is not Canada, and we don't have Justine Trudeau here who, with a signature, legalized recreational marijuana clear across Canada, and while at it, legalized Physician Assisted Suicide nationwide.

I'd be more happy if he legalized Physician Assisted Suicide nationwide, coming from someone who worked in a nursing home for a number of years.
I don't want you in my parent's nursing home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies