Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 12:51 AM

761 posts, read 316,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
Just like he fired up the people of Georgia?

There are obviously more people in this country that dislike Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if his blessing fires up anti-Trump Democrats to vote again in droves, just like they did this year.

Also, Trump's supporters tend to be older. There will be many that die by the time the next election rolls around. Democrats tend to be younger. Plenty of kids will be graduating high school between now and 2024. I predict that Trump will actually lose influence for this reason alone.

Thirdly, independents and anti-Trump Republicans may be discouraged from voting for any Trump-endorsed candidate.

I'm a registered Republican in a swing state. Any Republican that has supported Trump during this whole thing will never get my vote. Depending on the candidate, I may vote for them if they are endorsed by Trump, but if there is even a hint of conspiracy theories or QAnon involvement, they lose my vote.
For there to be soooooo many people that hate Trump why has he won an election and been a few votes away from winning another despite a 4 year media campaign against him...all while running during the craziest year in modern history.

There are no more people to find to vote against Trump. But as we saw from Trump’s 10M increase in support/diversity — it certainly appears the number of people supporting him has steadily increased throughout his presidency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 12:52 AM

298 posts, read 116,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not necessarily true. See #walkaway if you can find them after Facebook released them through the trap door. Lots of young people there.
Statistically, younger people tend to vote blue. That does not mean that every young person votes blue.

Quote:
You sound like a McCain guy.
Prior to this, I was just a Republican. I voted for anyone that was listed as a Republican on the ballot (yes, I was one of those people).

I voted for McCain in 2008 (the first election I was able to vote in), Romney in 2012, Trump in 2016, and all Republicans in the 2018 midterm elections. I actually initially liked Trump and thought his critics were making a big deal about nothing. I don't feel that way anymore.

2020 was the first year where I actually thought about my choices, looked into them, and voted based on their platforms.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:55 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Statistically, younger people tend to vote blue. That does not mean that every young person votes blue.

Prior to this, I was just a Republican. I voted for anyone that was listed as a Republican on the ballot (yes, I was one of those people).

I voted for McCain in 2008 (the first election I was able to vote in), Romney in 2012, Trump in 2016, and all Republicans in the 2018 midterm elections. I actually initially liked Trump and thought his critics were making a big deal about nothing. I don't feel that way anymore.

2020 was the first year where I actually thought about my choices, looked into them, and voted based on their platforms.
Just curious - was it the platform that moved you away from Trump? Behavior aside - the policies were very pro-America and grew the economy pre-COVID.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
For there to be soooooo many people that hate Trump why has he won an election and been a few votes away from winning another despite a 4 year media campaign against him...all while running during the craziest year in modern history.
He lost the popular vote in 2 elections, both by a considerable margin (I wouldn't call 7 million votes "a few votes").

Trump has responded very poorly to the pandemic. Many people have died as a result of his decisions. These people have family members that will remember this. Others lost their jobs and their homes.

Personally, I have not been affected by the pandemic in this way (so far....thank god), but his denunciation of science and his absolutely abhorrent actions since losing the election have sealed the deal for me. I'm sure there are plenty of people that feel this way.

And that's just things that I don't like. He's had many controversies while in office. People could hate him right now for all sorts of reasons.

Quote:
There are no more people to find to vote against Trump. But as we saw from Trump’s 10M increase in support/diversity — it certainly appears the number of people supporting him has steadily increased throughout his presidency.
And there were 16 million more people that voted against him than they did in 2016 (this time, in the right states). This is due to increased turnout, but also alienation of independents and moderate Republicans.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:00 AM

761 posts, read 316,583 times
Quote:

Whatever the Trump platform is, it appears he has kept 100% of of 2016 support while adding in 10M additional followers.

The narrative laid out by Democrats simply isn’t working on the National stage. Trump’s popularity forced a pivot to convincing the American people they were voting against Hitler. That also has consequences though as Americans grow numb to those attacks...not out of malice but simply the identity politics bombardment of the last 10 or so years. The gap between the media’s portrayal of Trump and his popularity on the ground in real life will obviously continue.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:07 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,067 times
It's amazing to me that we have so many sociopaths and psychopaths in America who are attracted to this mentally ill person. It says a lot about the state of the nation when so many people are attracted to such a narcissistic lunatic, as diagnosed by multiple top psychiatrists. This is a pretty eye opening video from 2019, that is spot on, in how deadly accurate of an assessment this has been. Very sad and disturbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B4nS1-ScYw

What do Americans and the World fear? A psychopath who has zero empathy for others, only thinks of himself, and everyone else is disposable and useless once they are of no value to him. This is how some of the world's worst dictators have come to power in history of mankind and killed so many billions of people.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just curious - was it the platform that moved you away from Trump? Behavior aside - the policies were very pro-America and grew the economy pre-COVID.
I was a Trump supporter until 2020. I agree with you.

But I did not like his actions during the COVID pandemic. I don't like how he undermined the whole thing. I also don't like how he helped in making masks controversial. I don't like how he continuously pushed Hydroxychloroquine despite there being no evidence of it working.

But the thing that really got me was that press conference where he talked about injecting bleach. I was watching it. I couldn't believe it. Prior to this, I thought he was being taken out of context by a corrupt media. He was not taken out of context on that day. Then I slowly came to the conclusion that I erred in supporting him. And my disdain just grew from there.

Additionally, 2020 has made me change my perspective on many things. I really did not pay attention to climate change prior to this. Now, I could see climate change creating a bad situation in the future. So I took that into account with my vote.

Finally, I think that Trump is too excitable to be leading the country right now. Most people need a calming presence. Say what you will about Biden, but he is a very calm man. Trump is not.

And this was my view before the election. His actions since then have led me to believe that he is deranged and needs psychiatric help. I don't believe he's fit for public office now or in the future.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:14 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,067 times
Quote:
I was a Trump supporter until 2020. I agree with you.

But I did not like his actions during the COVID pandemic. I don't like how he undermined the whole thing. I also don't like how he helped in making masks controversial. I don't like how he continuously pushed Hydroxychloroquine despite there being no evidence of it working.

But the thing that really got me was that press conference where he talked about injecting bleach. I was watching it. I couldn't believe it. Prior to this, I thought he was being taken out of context by a corrupt media. He was not taken out of context on that day. Then I slowly came to the conclusion that I erred in supporting him. And my disdain just grew from there.

Additionally, 2020 has made me change my perspective on many things. I really did not pay attention to climate change prior to this. Now, I could see climate change creating a bad situation in the future. So I took that into account with my vote.

Finally, I think that Trump is too excitable to be leading the country right now. Most people need a calming presence. Say what you will about Biden, but he is a very calm man. Trump is not.

And this was my view before the election. His actions since then have led me to believe that he is deranged and needs psychiatric help. I don't believe he's fit for public office now or in the future.
I feel like the universe is trolling us right now, allowing such a mentally ill person in a position of power and incite violence and anarchy. Most of us Americans have been far too passive, to allow the GOP to get so extreme in a power grab. The GOP used to be a great party - small government, capitalism, etc. Now it is a sick party that is bending over America to amass power at all costs and relish the destruction of the regular American.

Enough is enough. We Americans are sick of it. The elections are proof of that.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
Whatever the Trump platform is, it appears he has kept 100% of of 2016 support while adding in 10M additional followers.
He lost at least 3 (myself, my mother, and my fiancee).

Obviously, I can't comment on the voting habits of others, but, surely, we can't be the only ones.

Either way, he still had 16 million more people vote against him. He needs to not only maintain his base, but expand it more than Democrats expand their base, which he failed to do during this election.

Quote:
The narrative laid out by Democrats simply isn’t working on the National stage.
Well, it did. He lost.

Quote:
Trump’s popularity forced a pivot to convincing the American people they were voting against Hitler. That also has consequences though as Americans grow numb to those attacks...not out of malice but simply the identity politics bombardment of the last 10 or so years. The gap between the media’s portrayal of Trump and his popularity on the ground in real life will obviously continue.
I have great interest in historical politics and have read about this in great detail for many, many years. Unfortunately, his recent actions and his rise to power are similar to Hitler in some ways. So his critics, while dramatic in their characterization, are not completely wrong.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
I feel like the universe is trolling us right now, allowing such a mentally ill person in a position of power and incite violence and anarchy. Most of us Americans have been far too passive, to allow the GOP to get so extreme in a power grab. The GOP used to be a great party - small government, capitalism, etc. Now it is a sick party that is bending over America to amass power at all costs and relish the destruction of the regular American.

Enough is enough. We Americans are sick of it. The elections are proof of that.
I agree.

I don't know how things got so out of hand, but Republicans need to own part of the blame in this.

I am a Republican. I voted for Trump in 2016. I am partially responsible for what is happening right now. I have learned my lesson and will not vote for someone like this again in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies