Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 12:02 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I agree. As a black person when I hear white people say "Make America Great Again", I picture them wanting America to be how it was in the 50-60's. Like when was America bad?
Only the '50s and '60s? Not '40s or earlier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 12:05 PM

29,537 posts, read 14,684,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
That is not what the hat is about and you know it.

Surely you are not that dumb.

The hat has always been a Trump symbol. It is the Trump brand stamped on your forehead like some ignorant barnyard animal. It says America is not great and only Trump can fix the imagined and selective failures that he identifies for you because I cannot think for yourself. It says "I am gullible" and that you willingly follow a con-man and a liar. And now it says that you support Trump's efforts to overthrow the constitution in order to remain in power. It says you are a loser and a pawn in Trump's game.

The attachment to racism or fascism exists because people hide behind the hat and their fellow Trumpers and espouse those ideas. Trumpers are all tarred with the same brush because they did not purge the racists and fascists and extremists from their ranks. Instead, they embraced extremism and still do as we have so recently seen.
And I thought I'd seen todays most hilarious post earlier, although that thread got deleted. So far you are the winner , this one is more hilarious. Keep them coming, laughter helps make the day go by faster.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:10 PM

1,081 posts, read 549,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is a reason someone like the person you responded to, and myself feel this way. For Black people, America, for most of its history, was never that great. Saying "make America great again" makes an assumption that America is no longer great, or it stopped being great. I have to ask "when did America stop being great? I don't think America is perfect and we have alot of problems, but I don't think of America as having lost its greatness". I also think about this. Many people pine for the "good old days". What were the good old days? As a Black man, any time period before the 1970s is certainly not the good old days. It also doesn't help that a decent size part of the MAGA base is also known for things like Confederate flags.
I would hope that the slogan Make America Great Again refers to our manufacturing base.
If you are looking at America in it's entire history, you are correct. It was unjust and unequal for Black people for the majority of the time. Since the 1970s (fifty years ago), it has been improving slowly.
For me, the Good Ol' Days were the 1980s when washers and driers were still made in America and jobs in US Steel were still an alternative to a life in the service industry.
I think you are overestimating the number of people still flying the confederate flag. For those that still are, it most likely is a symbol of freedom of speech rather than a belief in the ideals of the Old South. I doubt very many of those that are flying the flag could name any of the people associated with the Old South other than General Lee (mainly because it was the name of the Dukes of Hazzard car.)

Old 01-12-2021, 12:12 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/60094475-post68.html

there's your post. he actually did respond to you.

how many Confederate flag-wielders made it inside?
You’re right. I didn’t wait long enough.

I just responded to his response.

His response was an0 irrelevant deflection that also veered into moral relativism.

His introduction of moral relativism = he’d already lost the argument.

How many Confederate flag wavers made it inside?..........Really?

So you agree with Jimmy that patriots were there?

If so, how would you identify those who are? how would you delineate? What would be your criteria?

Old 01-12-2021, 12:13 PM

29,537 posts, read 14,684,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Personally, I thought we were greater than we are now, back in the 80s. But when I think of our "greatness", I don't even consider race, because it is not something that I ever had to think about back then. What I do think about is how much less globalism we had back then as compared to now. Everything was still made here, and the middle class was strong. My mother worked, but not because she had to. She worked to give us the extras in life. We could have got along just fine on my father's accountant's salary, alone. Everybody just seemed happy to me back then. I fully admit that I have no idea what it was like to be a black person in the 80's. My exposure to black people was limited to Eddie Murphy movies. As far as this white teenager was concerned, he was the funniest guy alive.

Now, nothing is made here anymore. People seem miserable, and at each other's throat. Families are 2 income families out of necessity. Back then, America was the only game in town. Nobody even came close. There was a lot of national pride, which is completely gone now. We just dont feel as great as we did back then, so when I hear Trump say "Make America Great Again", that is what I assume he is talking about.
This is exactly it.

For example, In the 60's Detroit had the highest per capita income in the country. Look at it now. Although it is making a comeback. FCA is building a new plant, and 100's of millions of dollars are being poured into old plants to make them state of the art. Amazon is building a hub. All bringing in 1000's of jobs. Businesses were doing great, and overall crime was dropping. Yes, Detroit was being made great again. Hopefully it will still be moving forward with this new administration. We shall see.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:19 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,486,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When I see someone wearing a MAGA hat now, my first thought used to be, "He probably supports racism." or "He must feel very insecure.".

Now it's, "Why does he want to overthrow our government?".

Anyone feels the same way?

its like Mao's red book

The insurrection was the cultural revolution

Old 01-12-2021, 12:26 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,593,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
In our area I notice folks just giving them a wide birth, and we live in an affluent Republican County, the same as they do with the mask less. It is such a shame really, but they have brought it upon themselves.
Affluent being the key word here. Bunch of snobs who benefit from globalism and illegal immigration and look down on the working class.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:34 PM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Really? You people are f'n nuts. Its a hat for Christs sake. With a message to make America great. What is wrong with that? I want this country to be great again. Why wouldn't you?

4 years of Trump and we are much farther from "great" than we were 4 years ago. Its a failed message that is what is wrong with it.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:40 PM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When I see someone wearing a MAGA hat now, my first thought used to be, "He probably supports racism." or "He must feel very insecure."
Now it's, "Why does he want to overthrow our government?".
my first thought used to be people who espoused things like the poster above may be dangerous to democracy. now i know people who espouse such sentiments are fascists and dangerous to democracy.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-12-2021 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Really? You people are f'n nuts. Its a hat for Christs sake. With a message to make America great. What is wrong with that? I want this country to be great again. Why wouldn't you?

And great to me means no more riots, burning, pillaging, hating on the well to do, hating on the police (Yes I am talking about all the left leaning wackos over the summer) And I am also talking about the wackos that entered the capital the other day------on their own accord. Not the presidents. Really, what is wrong with that?

That hat is not the least bit racist so stop throwing that card around. It is getting old!

It would be nice for people to return to family values, stop being offended by every little word (bunch of crybaby's), work for their income, respect the president no matter what side, realize that there are country's out there whose "leaders" are looking for any chance they get to over run us etc...etc...
And a swastika is only a twisted cross. It's NOT the hat, it's what it REPRESENTS in peoples' minds. And what it represents is defined by what people have done in it's name. So yeah, after 4 years of neo-NAZIs, KKK members and other white supremacist types rallying under the hat's "banner" - and now with those same type of folks storming and overrunning the U.S. Capital building, it represents racism, white supremacy, insurrection and treason - and THAT will be it's enduring legacy.

MAGA reaps what it sowed.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies