Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 09:55 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
It's pretty clear to me, from the lack of any response by the right indicating how they would deal with these companies, that they have no idea and only want to whine and snivle like petulant angry children. Prove me wrong, come up with some suggestions that might actually get put in place.
I think the whole point of this thread was asking why the left defends large corporations when historically, liberals have been against large corporations.

It almost seems like there has been a shift in thinking among "democrats"

It's like siding with your enemy because he likes kittens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 09:58 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
We broke up the Bells. That was bigger than these internet companies. We can do it again. I don't disagree that they need regulation. Neither do most democrats. We've been complaining about facebook since at least '16.
"we" didn't do anything. The government broke them up due to them being a monopoly and a utility.
They tried to break up Microsoft and failed.

Social media is not a utility.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:58 AM

1,954 posts, read 700,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
They're defending corporations for political convenience. But those corporations might expect a little something next time a corporate tax increase or regulation is proposed. Big organizations and entities do things for a reason.
They will be happy with no antitrust cases. Tax law for them is meaningless since they have more than enough tax lawyers.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:02 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
"we" didn't do anything. The government broke them up due to them being a monopoly and a utility.
They tried to break up Microsoft and failed.

Social media is not a utility.
For Heaven's sake, "We The People" ARE the government. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good. We won't win every time but we are bound to lose if we don't try. Write YOUR congress critters and tell them what is important to you. They actually listen sometimes. And if they don't...work to vote them out.

Makes me suspect you may not be American when I have to give you civics lessons on stuff covered in the 5th grade. No offense meant by that.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I think the whole point of this thread was asking why the left defends large corporations when historically, liberals have been against large corporations.

It almost seems like there has been a shift in thinking among "democrats"

It's like siding with your enemy because he likes kittens
Not siding with, no shift in thinking. I still think that there needs to be regulations on these companies. I still believe that corporations are not people. I still believe that businesses should not be allowed to discriminate.
The Rs decided that net neutrality needed to go, so ISPs can now legally throttle whichever sites they want.

The Rs decided that corporations can refuse service based on their beliefs, so now businesses are banning people and cutting ties with those that they do not want to do business with.

The Rs decided that corporations are people and can donate to campaigns, now they want to cry that big tech is doing just that.

They made the rules of the game, and now are crying because those rules are being used against them.
If they would like to discuss working on changing those rules I'm all ears.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not siding with, no shift in thinking. I still think that there needs to be regulations on these companies. I still believe that corporations are not people. I still believe that businesses should not be allowed to discriminate.
The Rs decided that net neutrality needed to go, so ISPs can now legally throttle whichever sites they want.

The Rs decided that corporations can refuse service based on their beliefs, so now businesses are banning people and cutting ties with those that they do not want to do business with.

The Rs decided that corporations are people and can donate to campaigns, now they want to cry that big tech is doing just that.

They made the rules of the game, and now are crying because those rules are being used against them.
Yes. This is exactly it. We've been unhappy with corporate fiddling with our government since it started. We'd still like to change it even though it's working for us this time. That's the definition of constancy and fairness. Join us righties!

Old 01-12-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
For Heaven's sake, "We The People" ARE the government. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good. We won't win every time but we are bound to lose if we don't try. Write YOUR congress critters and tell them what is important to you. They actually listen sometimes. And if they don't...work to vote them out.

Makes me suspect you may not be American when I have to give you civics lessons on stuff covered in the 5th grade. No offense meant by that.
Twitter and Facebook and all the other social media apps are private companies.

The Government tried once before to break up a private company and failed.

So I'm not American now because I don't agree with you......typical immature response.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:18 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

So it sounds like to me, that the Republicans have actually helped Democrats (although not believed to be intentional) So maybe...just maybe....a two party system actually does work?

Old 01-12-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yes. This is exactly it. We've been unhappy with corporate fiddling with our government since it started. We'd still like to change it even though it's working for us this time. That's the definition of constancy and fairness. Join us righties!
It's actually the other way around...government is using corporates to do what they cannot legally do.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:20 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Twitter and Facebook and all the other social media apps are private companies.

The Government tried once before to break up a private company and failed.

So I'm not American now because I don't agree with you......typical immature response.
No, it was because you seem to not know how our government in the USA works. I'd be happy to blame a failed education system for your shortcomings, however, if that would seem less insulting.

The Government tried several times before to break up a private company (Bell, Standard Oil, etc)...and succeeded. We should try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies