Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 11:27 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks93 View Post
The very existence of the United States was built on immigrants
There was very little immigration when the country was being built and before 1880. It was mostly native births populating the country. From 1880 to 1920 legal immigrants mostly from Europe did build a lot of the country, but by 1920 it was decided mass immigration wasn't needed. We certainly don't need it now 100 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes, you're right. And the 11 million+ illegal immigrants already here aren't going anywhere, no matter who's POTUS. No, not even Trump was going to able to deport them.

So, the inconvenient truth is that we should make them legal, and then they will contribute tax revenue.
They'll leave if we stop catering to them with benefits, rights and services and instead treat them as the outlaws that they are. Legalizing them and worse giving them citizenship and giving their many children birthright citizenship just encourages more to come and stay.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
None of your damn business who I voted for, sir.

Maybe I didn't vote for anyone because I was so disgusted.

Besides, the Republicans are NO better on this issue. They've got MAJOR corporate interests in having illegal immigrants in the country.

The Dems want them here for votes; the Republicans want them here for a big supply of cheap labor.
They are not where they should be, but they are way better overall than the Democrats. Trump was much better than Biden on illegal immigration and not making the US a third world dumping ground. If only he had 4 more years and could've acted less constrained without the pressure of reelection.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:39 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
so 12 pages in and it appears that we can really have it both ways.

we can have sanity reign.
We can have a world where the minimum wage is a reflection of the supply and demand of both legal human capital and goods and services.

we can have a world where we know the people here have a legal right to be here and have been properly vetted....

thank you OP for the forum to work this out.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so 12 pages in and it appears that we can really have it both ways.

we can have sanity reign.
We can have a world where the minimum wage is a reflection of the supply and demand of both legal human capital and goods and services.

we can have a world where we know the people here have a legal right to be here and have been properly vetted....

thank you OP for the forum to work this out.
Yes and let legal US citizens decide the size of their families and supply of human capital, and not the likes of Jeff Bezos lackeys in government doing an end run around that decision with open borders.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:50 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You don't comprehend at all.

If employers need to pay higher because of a lower supply of labor, that is a good thing. An artificially high wage that creates unemployment is a bad thing.

Democrats do not understand economics.

How exactly does paying higher wages because of a low supply labor any different than a mandatory minimum wage? Does the employer suddenly have more money to pay when there is a low supply of labor? Where did he get this money. Why doesnt he have it to pay a living minimum wage?

See any business plan that RELIES on cheap labor will fail if labor cost increases for ANY reason. Cause if price of labor goes up, prices go up. See I perfectly understand, its you that seems to live in fantasy land. Cost of labor is cost of labor. It goes up for any reason and your business cant pay more cause your customers wont pay higher price for your goods or services, your business fails.

Also you dont seem to understand IN MODERN WORLD where all blue collar jobs that dont need huge amount tech education have moved overseas. People without their rear papered up the wahzoo with degrees are stuck with service jobs that have always paid the least. Worse many of them are part time or contract so employers can do an end run around government requirements for full time employees.

But see those people have to live in the community they work. So when the wages wont let them live in the community they work, either govt has to provide welfare out of YOUR tax dollars. Or the worker has to move to that mythical area where living costs are super low and wages DO cover living costs. Usually the cheap places to live have the fewest full time jobs.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
How exactly does paying higher wages because of a low supply labor any different than a mandatory minimum wage? Does the employer suddenly have more money to pay when there is a low supply of labor? Where did he get this money. Why doesnt he have it to pay a living minimum wage?

See any business plan that RELIES on cheap labor will fail if labor cost increases for ANY reason. Cause if price of labor goes up, prices go up. See I perfectly understand, its you that seems to live in fantasy land. Cost of labor is cost of labor. It goes up for any reason and your business cant pay more cause your customers wont pay higher price for your goods or services, your business fails.

Also you dont seem to understand IN MODERN WORLD where all blue collar jobs that dont need huge amount tech education have moved overseas. People without their rear papered up the wahzoo with degrees are stuck with service jobs that have always paid the least. Worse many of them are part time or contract so employers can do an end run around government requirements for full time employees.

But see those people have to live in the community they work. So when the wages wont let them live in the community they work, either govt has to provide welfare out of YOUR tax dollars. Or the worker has to move to that mythical area where living costs are super low and wages DO cover living costs. Usually the cheap places to live have the fewest full time jobs.
Sounds like you are trying to make an argument for illegal immigration. My how did these businesses survive before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? I don't recall any problems and I'm over 70 years old. It's the law of supply and demand and nothing more.

The greedy employers who hire illegal aliens merely pocket the profits while they pass their enormous social costs on to the taxpayer. If a business can't turn a profit without breaking the law then they need to go out of business.

Old 01-22-2021, 01:03 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sounds like you are trying to make an argument for illegal immigration. My how did these businesses survive before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? I don't recall any problems and I'm over 70 years old. It's the law of supply and demand and nothing more.

The greedy employers who hire illegal aliens merely pocket the profits while they pass their enormous social costs on to the taxpayer. If a business can't turn a profit without breaking the law then they need to go out of business.
Good post, OG.

Never thought I'd see myself write that, but hey...

Old 01-22-2021, 01:04 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
Quote:

In that case, it sounds like you favor the success of big business over small businesses...only because big businesses can eat the added costs, whereas mom and pop shops may not be able to. That’s actually why big businesses push for and support more regulation.

Old 01-22-2021, 01:11 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Quote:

No, I am just explaining economics 101. Personally I think anybody caught hiring illegals should go to prison for minimum of ten years, no getting out early for good behavior. Betcha that is so much more effective than any fence or Great Wall of Mexico. People would then just be too scared to hire anybody without proof of citizenship. No jobs, no illegal immigration. Oh there will always be criminal activity, but they are so well healed they can get anybody or anything into country if profitable enough. Notice how even with decades of war on drugs, there are still plentiful illegal drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies