Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 07:22 AM

866 posts, read 320,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Just going off your logic for why you're opposed to both, you can't have it both ways.

You want to kick out illegal immigrants so that Americans can replace them and get paid better wages in the process...

But you're also opposed to increasing the cost of labor b/c that's going to accelerate the push to automate jobs...

So if replacing illegal immigrants w/ American workers ends up increasing the cost of labor... what exactly are you expecting employers to do about it?
I'm fiscally conservative and I have no problem with a $15 minimum wage in high cost areas. It makes no sense in low cost of living areas. I could support a 3 tiered system, say $12/$13.50/$15 depending on the cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 07:27 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks93 View Post
Because the narrative is always about how illegals are stealing jobs from Americans. It's utter bull****. I just used the fields as one example, those people bust their ****ing asses no matter the weather and nobody gives them any respect, but fat Americans with their little toy guns look down on those people it's disgusting.

A lot of the so called "illegals" in this country are people who overstay on their visa's, and not those central and south americans so many of you are afraid of
The issue of illegal immigration isn't only about "stealing jobs." As another poster said, it's about far more than that. It has a domino effect on many other things.

Sure, some might have simply overstayed their visas, but I'm guessing that isn't the case for most of them. As for working their a$$es off, no one has suggested otherwise. No one has implied that people from Mexico and Central and South America aren't hard-working. Because no one could.

But legal immigrants throughout history, no matter where they come from or immigrate to, tend to hard-working, motivated people. Hence the reason they're immigrants. People who want to glide through life on Easy Street are generally not going to have the chutzpah to leave everything and everyone they know to start from scratch in another country.

That, though, is NOT the point. Being hard-working doesn't give anyone the right to enter and remain in another country illegally. Why bother even having an immigration policy and system if we're going to allow millions of people to say eff you to it?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-22-2021 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 07:27 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Taxes are NOT stealing. How do you think a government functions? Magic?
Exactly...I don’t want the government functioning. I want it out of the way.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:28 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
At the end of the day, cheap labor saves too much money.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:29 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
The issue of illegal immigration isn't only about "stealing jobs." As another poster mentioned, it's about far more than that. It has a domino effect on many other things. Sure, some might have simply overstayed their visas, but I'm guessing that isn't the case for most of them.

No one has suggested that people from Mexico and Central and South America aren't hard-working. No one. Because no one could. Legal immigrants throughout history, no matter where they come from or immigrate to, tend to hard-working, motivated people. Hence the reason they're immigrants.

People who want to glide through life on Easy Street are generally not going to have the chutzpah to leave everything and everyone they know to start from scratch in another country.

That is NOT the point. Being hard-working doesn't give the right to enter and remain in another country illegally. Why bother even having an immigration policy and system if we're going to allow millions of people who say eff you to it?
Why is this so hard for many people to understand ?

Old 01-22-2021, 07:55 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Just going off your logic for why you're opposed to both, you can't have it both ways.

You want to kick out illegal immigrants so that Americans can replace them and get paid better wages in the process...

But you're also opposed to increasing the cost of labor b/c that's going to accelerate the push to automate jobs...

So if replacing illegal immigrants w/ American workers ends up increasing the cost of labor... what exactly are you expecting employers to do about it?
1) First it's sad that you can't differentiate between his fellow low-wage Americans, a disproportionate amount being non-white and whatever illegal rolls in from Canada, Mexico, S. America etc.

2) Clearly you're a major-metro dweller and lack any diversity of understanding as to cost of living. $15 federal makes sense many places, heck those cities\states etc. have already taken action to do so in most cases. It doesn't make sense in other places with COL is 1/2 (or less) of where you live.

3) Cheap illegal labor with no rights has undercut many unions. Ironically, it's cited as one of the driving forces between the union Natl Farm Workers formed by Ceasar Chavez losing 85% of it's membership over the past 50 years. You cheer guys like Chavez and unions out of one side of your mouth and then push to undercut them from the other.

4) What minimum wage do I have to pay illegal workers?

Old 01-22-2021, 07:59 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:

How about we stop illegal immigration from third world countries first, and THEN we can talk about increasing the minimum wage?

Old 01-22-2021, 08:22 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceB View Post
Is that your view of immigrants? They are just suffering losers who want to do work nobody else will? That's your vision for their future? Feels slavery-ish.

Do you think these immigrants have dreams of minimum wage slave labor at a farm? But that's what exists because our immigration and enforcement system is completely broken. They are essentially forced in to this, while at the same time, depressing wages and opportunities.

Absolutely Americans will work these jobs, they already do it every day. You think all farm workers and processing plant employees are illegal immigrants? What would happen is it would drive wages up for less desirable jobs. It's why garbage men get paid well. Yes, I would love to see these jobs start paying actual market wages, livable incomes, for American families. Considering these are generally in low cost of living areas, too, it's a huge win for the working class to remove illegal immigrants from these jobs.
All the jobs that illegals hold in Texas, Arizona and California are held by citizens in places like New Hampshire that don't have all the illegals. And they get paid more for those jobs.

These people who say Americans wouldn't take those jobs are ignorant. They obviously haven't traveled much.

There are some seasonal farm jobs we need help with, but we have a program for that.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:23 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) First it's sad that you can't differentiate between his fellow low-wage Americans, a disproportionate amount being non-white and whatever illegal rolls in from Canada, Mexico, S. America etc.
Very few illegals come in from Canada.

First of all, Canadians aren't clamoring to come to the US like Mexicans and Central Americans are. Why would they be?

Second, the number of people who enter and remain in Canada illegally is a small fraction of that of the US.

Third, I'm guessing there are few legal immigrants to Canada who then decide to illegally enter the US.

[/quote]

Old 01-22-2021, 08:24 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Anyone who said I'm lying in my OP without actually pointing out what I'm lying about, we should assume is mad bc they can't back up their stupid claim. If I'm lying or not making sense, it should be easy to take what I wrote and show that it's a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies