Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2021, 06:19 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm a Democrat and have been since I was able to vote.

I'm not sure how to get the message across to the administration, but they are going to lose me if they continue to beat this woke drum.

I thought Trump was a terrible person to put in the nations highest office, he did send signals to racists, but the idea that you now have "the floor" to continue pushing on this racial resentment stuff...it's going to backfire. I don't for a second believe Biden really believes this stuff, but his handlers do, and Harris probably does. That's why when some people on the moderate left say these things are "mistakes" by Biden..they aren't mistakes, they are intentional. They are now signaling to the people they now believe are their "base"...black people who buy into these, ideas and woke whites, that they are all in.
This is an honest question. Can you give me ONE example of former President Trump 'sending signals to racists?' Just one....please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 06:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewship View Post
No, it really isn't. CRT is not an attempt to make value judgements or place individuals under scrutiny; it largely obfuscates the objective CRTs attempt to achieve and isn't really useful. They are not interested at all in "calling people racists" and are actually opposed to it. Here's an excerpt from an actual CRT publication:

"(1) Individualistic Fallacy.—Here, racism is assumed to belong to the realm of
ideas and prejudices. Racism is only the collection of nasty thoughts that a “racist
individual” has about another group. Someone operating with this fallacy thinks of
racism as one thinks of a crime and, therefore, divides the world into two types of
people: those guilty of the crime of racism ('racists') and those innocent of the crime
('non-racists')
(Wacquant 1997). Crucial to this misconceived notion of racism is
intentionality. 'Did I intentionally act racist? Did I cross the street because I was
scared of the Hispanic man walking toward me, or did I cross for no apparent
reason?' Upon answering 'no' to the question of intentionality, one assumes one can
classify one’s own actions as 'nonracist,' despite the character of those actions, and
go about his or her business as innocent.
"This conception of racism simply will not do, for it fails to account for the racism
that is woven into the very fabric of our schools, political institutions, labor markets,
and neighborhoods. Conflating racism with prejudice, as Herbert Blumer (1958)
pointed out fifty years ago, ignores the more systematic and structural forms of
racism; it looks for racism within individuals and not institutions. Labeling someone
a 'racist' shifts our attention from the social surroundings that enforce racial inequalities and miseries to the individual with biases.
It also lets the accuser off the hook—'He is a racist; I am not'—and treats racism as aberrant and strange, whereas American racism is rather normal. Furthermore, intentionality is in no way a prerequisite for racism. Racism is often habitual, unintentional, commonplace, polite, implicit, and well meaning (Brown et al., 2003). Thus, racism is located not only in our intentional thoughts and actions; it also thrives in our unintentional thoughts
and habits, as well as in the social institutions in which we all are embedded (BonillaSilva 1997; Feagin et al., 2001)."

Source

You can disagree with the premise that racism is so baked into our society (though I would challenge you to find a scholarly peer-reviewed source that makes the claim!). But you should not misconstrue CRT as attempting to make value judgements about individuals. That is exactly the opposite of what they're trying to do and represents a fundamental misunderstanding on your part. If you're going to try to discredit an entire field of study you ought to at least be familiar with its basic tenets. Also, YouTube is not at all a substitution for actually engaging with scholarly material. No wonder you're so misinformed.
According to purveyors of this theory, even math and statistics are racist. It sets up the overwhelming premise that anything negative that happens to black people is due to systemic racism, none of it has to do with systemic problems in their culture, or their own individual actions, choices or behaviors. It's exactly the mentality that drives masses of people into the streets over a handful of questionable or unjustified police killings, but has them whistle past the graveyard of thousands of dead due to crime. The systemic racism of policing is the evil.

But when you pull back the police, more black people are getting killed and misery has increased, not decreased. so putting this theory into practice by calling everything in society racist makes one feel like they have some grand grasp on the issues....but in reality the theory achieves nothing, other than calling everything around it racist. So what is the point? Sensitivity training, defunding police, etc..these things achieve almost nothing in solving the problems of the black underclass in the US.

If by "baked into" you are referring to being behind the 8 ball on familial wealth, access to jobs through family and nepotism...that's not racism, that's called being poor. The same can be applied to millions upon millions of poor whites and hispanics. The assumption among some people I've seen in other discussions is that everyone who is white has some rich uncle who can bail them out or get them a job, and black people don't have that. That an incredibly flimsy and mostly false justification.

And the key factors in gaining familial wealth is finishing school and maintaining a family unit. If 1/10th of the academic energy spent calling everything racist was spent hammering home to kids in inner cities that you should never have children out of wedlock and that there is nothing more respectable than finishing school, going to work every day and staying with your kids, the benefit would be exponentially better than calling everything racist. It sounds old fashioned and corny, but everyone knows it's true...it's just not "cool" to take the heat off the system. It's not "revolutionary" to tell people to become homebodies. Everyone wants to live in the 60's and fight battles against oppression because it's sexy. It's not sexy to do that things that actually need to be done to fix the problem.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:31 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I took a look at that article. It sounds like these real estate agents assume that a black or perhaps hispanic person would want to live in more "diverse" area. Is that really far-fetched? Look up how many questions there are on this very website from black people moving to new city who are looking for a diverse part of town. There are many. They also only show houses in all-white areas to white people. Yeah? No crap. No matter how "progressive" they may claim to be, when it's time to find a place to settle down, buy a house, and raise children, white people want to be around other white people. It is what it is, ain't what it ain't.

So some agents referred to some black neighborhoods as being ghetto/crime-ridden to white and Asian buyers, but they didn't say that to black buyers. Is that really surprising? Don't you think that a white person might be uncomfortable telling a black person that a neighborhood full of black people is a $h!thole?
If that's all you got from the article then there's not much that can be discussed. This thread was started about CRT and how the new Biden executive actions plan to give unqualified/undeserving Blacks and Hispanics a free house (with a link from Breitbart to boot). The Biden executive actions aim to correct discrimination that is embedded deep into American culture and then worse, exacted into policy. I get it...this forum leans (well more than leans) right and most members don't really care about the discrimination as they aren't the victims of it (and as some responses have shown unapologetically express their own discriminatory views). It's clear most of the posters here have absolutely zero idea or interest in what CRT is...sorta ironic as racial topics (in the black/white lens) dominate this forum. Notice how no one actually addresses concrete evidence of racial discrimination by real estate agents or in housing.

As far as real estate agents, it's their job to recommend neighborhoods to their buyers based on buyer preferences (which can include race) and ultimately budget. Many real estate agents direct buyers of color who are qualified to live in white areas to black and brown ones....because there is an inherent fear that such neighborhoods would decline in value once such black person moves in...so there is a whole system set up to protect such neighborhoods from "them". Generally, one would like to think that people would want to be around folks who share similar values...but we all know its about race...that even if such black person is a doctor, it's still a problem for them and would look upon a black neighbor with suspicion. And guess what some black buyers don't want those diverse areas because far too often those areas have poorer schools, amenities, etc....which would not be appealing to a doctor or professional....and yes there are black professionals out there. Most black people would already know that such neighborhood is a craphole and with the Internet, realtors have lost some of their ability to steer folks but they still have the inside track...so why agents recommend well qualified buyers to such neighborhoods? As many of the nation's suburbs have been built out it's not as easy to engage in White Flight as it used to be (and many white buyers are unable to afford the next more expensive neighborhood).

The bottom line whether its CRT, housing discrimination...no one is saying you can't hold discriminatory views, no one is saying you can't have a desire to raise your kids around mainly whites...but what you won't get the benefit of is the law aiding and abetting your discrimination...or the law being a silent partner in it. It's been long shown that racial equity/equality/harmony or whatever the term is won't be achieved through organic means so the law has to often come in to force/correct the issue and it's often still not effective.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:47 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
So two things: one, the author of that article is not a Critical Race Theorist. Critical Race Theory is a subject within legal scholarship with a very particular application and range of focus. She is an English professor writing an op ed about classroom techniques. Not at all the same thing. So this is already irrelevant to the topic at hand which is CRT. Once again I implore you to read actual scholarly sources created by real Critical Race Theorists if you want to understand what it actually is.

But two: honestly that's not a good interpretation of what she was saying, either. The same principle applies: you are individualizing and moralizing the issue when you shouldn't be. Saying "white people are privileged on account of race" is not a moral judgement and is not saying "white people are oppressors". Here's an exercise: let's say that when I was a child, my father robbed a store in order to to buy me Christmas presents. As the beneficiary of this act, I now enjoy privileges because of a misdeed, perhaps without my knowledge. Does that make me an "oppressor" for innocently enjoying my toys? Am I at fault for a crime committed by my father on my behalf? Hopefully the answer is obviously not. The point is that you can enjoy privilege without being in the wrong yourself. The concept of "white privilege" is not necessarily an indictment of all white people.

"White fragility", on the other hand, is something you just demonstrated. You assumed that because the author discussed the concept of white privilege, she was attacking you personally, which, honestly she wasn't.
This is from the article you posted:

In addition, we should not assume that one kind of oppression is more important than another or that being advantaged in one dimension of life somehow cancels out other dimensions that often result in disadvantage. While it is true that poor Whites experience many of the same hardships as poor Blacks, it is not true that poverty somehow de-Whitens poor Whites. In other words, though they are in a similarly precarious economic position as poor Blacks, poor Whites still experience race-based privileges, while poor Blacks are oppressed not only by poverty but also by racism. In a similar vein, well-off people of color cannot “buy” their way out of racism

The article is titled "What is Racial Domination ?

CRT is all about systemic white racism and privilege; microaggressions; intersectionality; and a host of other whiteness is harmful to the health, safety, and welfare of non-white people ideology.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:00 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
This is all so fascinating. The progressives and 1% elites are leading western nations to their own self annihilation. It's like watching a train wreck and not being able to do anything about it other than buy guns, ammo, and metals to prepare. Combine their "critical race theory" nonsense with the unlimited QE by the central banks and it's a recipe for a currency collapse AND a civil war. Should be fun!

Progressives talk about science and the right not being science minded individuals, when the left are far from the most science embracing people I've come across. They want to play God and usurp basic laws of nature. They are playing a very dangerous game.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
If that's all you got from the article then there's not much that can be discussed. This thread was started about CRT and how the new Biden executive actions plan to give unqualified/undeserving Blacks and Hispanics a free house (with a link from Breitbart to boot). The Biden executive actions aim to correct discrimination that is embedded deep into American culture and then worse, exacted into policy. I get it...this forum leans (well more than leans) right and most members don't really care about the discrimination as they aren't the victims of it (and as some responses have shown unapologetically express their own discriminatory views). It's clear most of the posters here have absolutely zero idea or interest in what CRT is...sorta ironic as racial topics (in the black/white lens) dominate this forum. Notice how no one actually addresses concrete evidence of racial discrimination by real estate agents or in housing.

As far as real estate agents, it's their job to recommend neighborhoods to their buyers based on buyer preferences (which can include race) and ultimately budget. Many real estate agents direct buyers of color who are qualified to live in white areas to black and brown ones....because there is an inherent fear that such neighborhoods would decline in value once such black person moves in...so there is a whole system set up to protect such neighborhoods from "them". Generally, one would like to think that people would want to be around folks who share similar values...but we all know its about race...that even if such black person is a doctor, it's still a problem for them and would look upon a black neighbor with suspicion. And guess what some black buyers don't want those diverse areas because far too often those areas have poorer schools, amenities, etc....which would not be appealing to a doctor or professional....and yes there are black professionals out there. Most black people would already know that such neighborhood is a craphole and with the Internet, realtors have lost some of their ability to steer folks but they still have the inside track...so why agents recommend well qualified buyers to such neighborhoods? As many of the nation's suburbs have been built out it's not as easy to engage in White Flight as it used to be (and many white buyers are unable to afford the next more expensive neighborhood).

The bottom line whether its CRT, housing discrimination...no one is saying you can't hold discriminatory views, no one is saying you can't have a desire to raise your kids around mainly whites...but what you won't get the benefit of is the law aiding and abetting your discrimination...or the law being a silent partner in it. It's been long shown that racial equity/equality/harmony or whatever the term is won't be achieved through organic means so the law has to often come in to force/correct the issue and it's often still not effective.
At least where I live, real estate agents cannot get away with steering anymore. Not sure how it is in the rest of the country. Real Estate agents still get the majority of minority buyers asking for "diverse" areas. They basically have to tell people to do their won demographic research because that's a no no for them to chime in on.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:31 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
No, you just don't understand what CRT is. You are using it as a catch-all term for ideas you do not like about race when really it has a specific meaning. "Diversity and sensitivity training" is not even CRT to begin with. You are railing against something you know nothing about because a junk news site told you that it was bad. It's honestly shameful.
No, you are not hearing what I am saying or you are being obtuse. One or the other. You dont get to spend the last 30 years labeling white people as racists and blaming them for every sin imaginable then expect them to accept CRT as though there is no past.

Sorry but if you cant understand that, then you cant understand why CRT is being challenged. Pavlov's dog comes to mind. Im sorry you dont get it that people just dont trust that its all benign and no blame game involved. The left just spent 12 years demonizing whites at the drop of a hat, now you expect anyone with a brain to just trust this.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:02 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
These ridiculous racial theories will do far more harm than good. This will backfire in ways the left will regret.
Indubitably, it will backfire. And this is yet another irony about the left: it claims many on the right (especially, within the context of the past 5 years, those who supported President Donald Trump) are ignorant and unintelligent, but leftists, being so drunk in their delusions of moral superiority, are unable to even consider the possibility that what they demand could even remotely result in counterproductive consequences.

I suspect many leftists behave in this manner for reasons far beyond and above mere pride or arrogance or stubbornness - they hold their ideological worldview with a fervor, a conviction, and a passion so fanatical and zealous that can only be described as a religious dogma. And here's another irony: many leftists are irreligious and mock and assail conservatives who are theists, but they are no less people of faith than the evangelicals they love to hate. Only instead of the God of the Bible, the deity of leftists is ideology; attack it, and you will feel their wrath, whether through doxing or through actual physical violence... or both.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:05 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
No. This is not what Critical Race Theory is. If you actually read the works of critical race theorists you will not see this anywhere. Nobody (important, at least) expects anyone to apologize for being white or to feel ashamed for being white. Please stop spreading misinformation
The problem for people who may mean well and who spout CRT is that perception not only overrules reality, perception becomes reality. And the images of random white people, including cops, being forced to kneel, has shocked, angered, revolted, and in many cases, embittered a lot of white people who never did anything racist.

Critical race theory like cultural Marxism is a cancer. America will be worse off because of these egregious and mendacious lines of thought.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:07 AM

1,301 posts, read 666,074 times
Critical race theory is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies