Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 06:51 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Agree and repped.

Curt belongs there and I"m not just saying this just becuase I"m a Phillies fan. His numbers are there, he's high on the all time list of strikeouts, his WHIP ratio was excellent, he has world series wins for multiple teams and was a really good post season pitcher. Also he pitched right through the teeth of the steriod era, and he pitched for a lot of bad Phillies teams, otherwise his win count would be a lot higher.

There's only one reason he isn't in: he's an outspoken conservative.
Curt was very talented and should be in the Hall of Fame. And he would be the first Alaska-born player in it if that happens.

However, it is more than just being an outspoken conservative. He's burned so many bridges. The way he led other Phillies teammates to turn against Mitch Williams for that home run he gave up to Joe Carter in 1993. It's not just being outspoken, it's his mean-spirited mentality that's costing him.

John Smoltz, the great Braves pitcher, is a Republican. He considered running for Congress as a Republican. He helped Republican candidate Ralph Reed for his campaign as Lieutenant Governor of Georgia. John Smoltz ,a devout Christian, admitted to not not a fan of gay marriage. He's in the Hall of Fame. He doesn't talk badly about other people. He isn't known for being mean-spirited and vindictive as Curt Schilling has been. John Smoltz, even though he is a Republican, has also shown he'll work with anyone regardless of political party. He raised money for Andrea Cascarilla, a Democratic candidate for State Representative in Michigan's 71st House District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 07:05 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
However, it is more than just being an outspoken conservative. He's burned so many bridges. The way he led other Phillies teammates to turn against Mitch Williams for that home run he gave up to Joe Carter in 1993. It's not just being outspoken, it's his mean-spirited mentality that's costing him.
Agree, but its more that that too. Schiling was good, but he's not seeking entry into the "Hall of Good". Mitch Williams summed it up best in 2019:

"He was a great postseason pitcher,when they add a wing to the Hof for that, he’s a 1st ballot guy. 216 wins in 22 yrs? That’s a Hof-er?"

What we see here is people saying "this guy agrees with me, so he should be a HOF'er and if he's not it's some conspiracy". Your post brings much levity to the situation.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Curt was very talented and should be in the Hall of Fame. And he would be the first Alaska-born player in it if that happens.

John Smoltz, the great Braves pitcher, is a Republican. He considered running for Congress as a Republican. He helped Republican candidate Ralph Reed for his campaign as Lieutenant Governor of Georgia. John Smoltz ,a devout Christian, admitted to not not a fan of gay marriage. He's in the Hall of Fame. He doesn't talk badly about other people. He isn't known for being mean-spirited and vindictive as Curt Schilling has been. John Smoltz, even though he is a Republican, has also shown he'll work with anyone regardless of political party. He raised money for Andrea Cascarilla, a Democratic candidate for State Representative in Michigan's 71st House District.
I hear what you're saying.

Here's something I heard somewhere along the way about Curt..... his teammates said he was a horse every 5th day, and a horses ass the other 4 days, LOL

Old 01-29-2021, 07:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Vacoder is right. Cy Young had a trophy named after him as the pitcher of the league of a particular year. He won 511 games in his career. And Joe DiMaggio, not getting in until his 4th year? Before he died in 1999 he was named by the MLB writers as the greatest living player in MLB history. And there is more than just these two.

1.Tris Speaker---2nd year
2.Rogers Hornsby---5th year
3.Jimmy Foxx---7th year
4.Hank Greenberg---9th year
5.Yogi Berra---2nd year
6.Harmon Killebrew---4th year
7.Grover Cleveland Alexander---3rd year
8.Lefty Grove---4th year
9.Mel Ott---3rd year
10Whitey Ford---2nd year
And a number of writers will use "Oh well Cy Young wasn't a first ballot, so I don't vote first ballots," as a justification for not having first ballot hall of farmers who should clearly be in the Hall of Fame. Honestly a bigger injustice that Curt Schilling's snub is that Derek Jeter was unanimous because of some crap like the logic I spoke of.

As for Schilling had he not made bigoted comments, used fiery rhetoric and now supported the capitol riot, he very well would have been inducted by now. However that stuff tends to rub people the wrong way.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:20 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Agree, but its more that that too. Schiling was good, but he's not seeking entry into the "Hall of Good". Mitch Williams summed it up best in 2019:

"He was a great postseason pitcher,when they add a wing to the Hof for that, he’s a 1st ballot guy. 216 wins in 22 yrs? That’s a Hof-er?"

What we see here is people saying "this guy agrees with me, so he should be a HOF'er and if he's not it's some conspiracy". Your post brings much levity to the situation.
First couple of pitchers in HOF I looked at--both pitched in the high mound era where Bob Gibson could do a whole season with a 1.12 ERA and not into the steroid and DH era as Curt Schilling did.

Don Drysdale 209-166 2.95 ERA
Jim Bunning 224-184 3.27 ERA

Curt Schilling 216-146 3.46 ERA

Old 01-29-2021, 08:26 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsangel2 View Post
This was Schilling's 9th year on the ballot, he only has one more chance.
Thanks for the correction. I stand by the rest of my analysis. In part, the point I was trying to make is that Schilling not making it on the 9th or even 10th ballot is still a function of more than just numbers. He wasn't a guaranteed Hall of Famer. He's sort of on that cusp. He might get in, he might not. I thought the Mike Mussina comparison was good.

I think there might be some projection about Schilling's post-career issues being inserted in the conversation. We aren't talking about Barry Bonds here - who would have been in the Hall of Fame if not for PEDs. Same with Roger Clemens. Schilling wasn't on their level. He was a great player - I had a lot of respect for his playstyle. My teams were on the losing end of the playoffs a few times due to his efforts. But I respected him.

If he was a borderline HoFer and he winds up coming up short, it might just because he was a borderline HoFer and not some sort of "woke movement."

Old 01-30-2021, 12:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Thanks for the correction. I stand by the rest of my analysis. In part, the point I was trying to make is that Schilling not making it on the 9th or even 10th ballot is still a function of more than just numbers. He wasn't a guaranteed Hall of Famer. He's sort of on that cusp. He might get in, he might not. I thought the Mike Mussina comparison was good.

I think there might be some projection about Schilling's post-career issues being inserted in the conversation. We aren't talking about Barry Bonds here - who would have been in the Hall of Fame if not for PEDs. Same with Roger Clemens. Schilling wasn't on their level. He was a great player - I had a lot of respect for his playstyle. My teams were on the losing end of the playoffs a few times due to his efforts. But I respected him.

If he was a borderline HoFer and he winds up coming up short, it might just because he was a borderline HoFer and not some sort of "woke movement."
I think there is something to the political/personal views of Schilling. And I'm not saying it defense of him or as a way to just attack him, it is part of him. It is for the same reason Pete Rose was kept off the ballot. It is the same as Clemens, Bonds and McGuire being blocked due to PEDs. Schilling's "total package" is a problem, even if you adjust stats to the modern era and not compare just numbers. Of course someone in the PED era will have a higher ERA, the longball is STILL popular even without clear PED use.

But I think the biggest reason Schilling was held out, was due to the cut-line being 75%. I've long disagreed with the cut-line, because it can cause years of only legend committee picks (often times, these don't help bring people to Cooperstown.) Luckily this year, they could formally induct Jeter (which they couldn't do last year.) I've said that the top 3 vote getters and anyone else who hits the 75% cut should be in. That means Schilling should be in this year. Sadly these traditionalist snobby baseball writers still control the way the hall is run.

FYI, I spent several summers at the hall or Cooperstown and seen many an induction weekend and what it meant for the local economy. The local hotels and campgrounds make a lot of money. Especially when there are real inductees not legend committee picks like the 2021 class is. Depending on who is inducted, campgrounds can make more induction weekend than on Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July weekend or Labor Day weekend. It is an economic issue as much as it is a quality of hall of famer issue. The voting for the baseball hall of fame, has to have a better way of being handled.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:49 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
This has absolutely nothing to do with "woke." If the HOF was "woke," Gary Sheffield and Albert Belle, two of the most woke and outspoken men of their era, would fly right through the door in Cooperstown!

This has everything to do with a Hall of Fame selection process having no credibility, and needing serious reform!

Old 01-30-2021, 04:39 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Agree and repped.

Curt belongs there and I"m not just saying this just becuase I"m a Phillies fan. His numbers are there, he's high on the all time list of strikeouts, his WHIP ratio was excellent, he has world series wins for multiple teams and was a really good post season pitcher. Also he pitched right through the teeth of the steriod era, and he pitched for a lot of bad Phillies teams, otherwise his win count would be a lot higher.

There's only one reason he isn't in: he's an outspoken conservative.
Bingo. I now view pro sports and their athletes to be an immaturity i have finally outgrown. However, i agree with you as usual.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:12 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
I hear what you're saying.

Here's something I heard somewhere along the way about Curt..... his teammates said he was a horse every 5th day, and a horses ass the other 4 days, LOL
Just win baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies