Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 05:43 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,333,269 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this thread has now reached 57 pages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 08:50 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
The premise is fine but in some areas it’s turned into a hate/blame white people lesson. Some classes in public schools and universities seem to focus on what evil white people did and continue to do today more than showing the history of black people who rose above adversity to do great things. My personal favorite is Bass Reeves. In some classes educators are teaching their students hatred and using black history month as justification.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:02 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why is it important to acknowledge accomplishments based on race? Why is it important to acknowledge history based on race? I just don't get it. It's just divisive, IMO.
when all the oppression was based on race, people are going to celebrate accomplishments based on race. Why are basic questions, like this, hard to figure out?

Old 02-22-2021, 04:24 PM

17,598 posts, read 13,378,017 times
I am not against Black History Month but why only single out Blacks? (Who, BTW, aren't black. They're mainly dark brown or tan, just like I am kinda pink to cream color)

Let's have Asian American, Jewish American, Chinese American OR JUST PLAIN EVERYDAY AMERICAN MONTH!

It is just another way to separate us

Old 02-22-2021, 04:31 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I am not against Black History Month but why only single out Blacks? (Who, BTW, aren't black. They're mainly dark brown or tan, just like I am kinda pink to cream color)

Let's have Asian American, Jewish American, Chinese American OR JUST PLAIN EVERYDAY AMERICAN MONTH!

It is just another way to separate us
We already have Asian American Month and Jewish-American month. Chinese-Americans are Asian-Americans. There are plenty other months - for German-Americans, Polish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans etc

So it’s clearly only a problem for you all when it’s Black people. You all have zero problem with the other months. Of course, it’s the culture of certain Americans to obsess over people of African descent.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
In the past year Americans have lost respect for black people. Rename it to Spoiled Crybaby Bratty Privileged Extortionists Month.
No. Hypocritical Americans have a problem with Black History Month but don’t complain about the others. You all haven’t respected so-called Black people since the first African arrived here. Unlike other nations who, to a greater extent, got over themselves after slavery, hypocritical Americans couldn’t let it go and came up with Jim Crow. They are they spoiled crybaby bratty privileged extortionists. Mad because they didn’t want to do their own work or couldn’t continue forcing people to do the menial work.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
^^^^ It gets tiring after a while, doesn't it? That's how I know it's disingenuous because that has been asked and answered multiple times. They even ask about some random ridiculous faux history month to try to come up with a point (women's prison month or something). Joke's on them for straying from the point.
It’s totally disingenuous. They keep trying to peddle a false narrative. But then, that’s a cultural thing for their type.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:49 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Having a separate month for Black history implies that it is something apart from real American history.

I doubt that was the original intention.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:00 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
For those of you unfamiliar with Affirmative Action, white males are legally discriminated against in hiring, promotion and education.
Also... Asians, and to a lesser extent Whites, have been discriminated against in college admissions. Absolutely known as fact and quantified.

The LA Times published an article on it, citing a study by Princeton.
Quote:
"In a windowless classroom at an Arcadia tutoring center, parents crammed into child-sized desks and dug through their pockets and purses for pens as Ann Lee launches a PowerPoint presentation.

Her primer on college admissions begins with the basics: application deadlines, the relative virtues of the SAT versus the ACT and how many Advanced Placement tests to take.

Then she eases into a potentially incendiary topic — one that many counselors like her have learned they cannot avoid.

"Let's talk about Asians," she says.

Lee's next slide shows three columns of numbers from a Princeton University study that tried to measure how race and ethnicity affect admissions by using SAT scores as a benchmark. It uses the term "bonus" to describe how many extra SAT points an applicant's race is worth. She points to the first column.

African Americans received a "bonus" of 230 points, Lee says.

She points to the second column.

"Hispanics received a bonus of 185 points."

The last column draws gasps.

Asian Americans, Lee says, are penalized by 50 points — in other words, they had to do that much better to win admission."
A changed landscape on college admissions - LA Times

Old 02-23-2021, 06:27 AM

477 posts, read 336,584 times
Why are some people against Black History Month?

I’m not against.
Moreover, I think it would be fair to celebrate Latinos History Month, Asian-American, Native Americans, Jews,..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies