Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 01:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
For some, America is still a land of great opportunity.

I notice the article says migrants, not illegal immigrants. Are you against legal migrants?
I doubt the Mexican Central Bank differentiates between legals/illegals. They just know deposits by Mexican citizens into Mexican bank accounts totaled $40B.

Amazing stat, if accurate:

Quote:
The $40.6 billion that migrants sent home to Mexico in 2020 was equivalent to the combined entire budgets of the Mexican government's education, health, labor, welfare and culture departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 01:48 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,531,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
They work hard & must live very frugally to be able to send any money home at all. How many of us, who had better incomes, could have afforded to do so?
When I worked in food service in northern Virginia decades ago I had many illegal coworkers. 6 adults and 6 kids live in a rented 3 bed room home. 5 adults work and 1 of the ladies watches the kids. 1 of the coworkers told me his goal was to send enough money back to El Salvador to buy a farm. At the time in his town a worker got the equivalent of $2.50 for a day's wage. Every $100 he sent home represented 40 days of labor.

That was how they were able to send money home. They got 2 meals at work. Many weeks we only got 1 day off. No married American lived that way. But the illegals kept the wages low. The gringos got a few bucks more but it was barely a livable wage.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:50 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
I know the truth hurts sometimes
OMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I just can't with this one LOL....
Right? The entire nation heard that "whoosh"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
Democrats see America is being an evil country. So they support migrant workers stealing our jobs and re-distributing the wages they receive to Mexico as a form of payback against the American people and economy.
Did someone steal your job picking strawberries and lettuce?

Quote:
Its called STIMULUS CHECKS
LMAO - what now? What are you talking about?

Old 02-03-2021, 01:52 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
MIGRANT WORKERS. Read the article that YOU posted.
https://brandongaille.com/28-remarka...er-statistics/

it's from 2014, so a bit dated, but ...

Quote:
It is estimated that there are over 3 million migrant and seasonal farmworkers in the United States.

48% of farm workers do not have legal authorization to work in the United States.
now, if the numbers have held (total # and % illegal), then you're looking at 1.6MM LEGAL migrant workers (some of which are US Citizens actually).

Still, for them to send $40B home, that means each and every one sends $25,000.

I don't think that math works.

3,989 posts, read 6,578,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
OMG.

Right? The entire nation heard that "whoosh"!

Did someone steal your job picking strawberries and lettuce?

LMAO - what now? What are you talking about?
Sorry, I can't rep you again!!

2,082 posts, read 924,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I doubt the Mexican Central Bank differentiates between legals/illegals. They just know deposits by Mexican citizens into Mexican bank accounts totaled $40B.

Amazing stat, if accurate:
interesting the same year that the US doled out Stimulus checks around the middle of 2020 when the lock down was in effect across the country

Old 02-03-2021, 01:53 PM

962 posts, read 541,357 times
Quote:
Its called STIMULUS CHECKS
Its called LIES

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ovid-19-relief

Illegal immigrants aren't getting stimulus checks, not even the ones that file tax returns (i.e. pay taxes). According to this article, the first round of stimulus skipped families where one spouse is an American. Those individuals DID get a $600 check.

So not only do illegal immigrants not get stimulus (even if they filed a tax return) Americans married to illegals didn't even get the $1200 for which they should've been eligible.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:59 PM

2,082 posts, read 924,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
Its called LIES

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ovid-19-relief

Illegal immigrants aren't getting stimulus checks, not even the ones that file tax returns (i.e. pay taxes). According to this article, the first round of stimulus skipped families where one spouse is an American. Those individuals DID get a $600 check.

So not only do illegal immigrants not get stimulus (even if they filed a tax return) Americans married to illegals didn't even get the $1200 for which they should've been eligible.
interesting, I am sure this isn't a isolated incident.....

119 Illegal Aliens Prosecuted For Stealing Identities of Americans, Falsifying Immigration Documents, Fraudulently Claiming to be U.S. Citizens, Other Crimes
Charges Stem from 680 Detained at Largest, Single-State Worksite Enforcement Action in Nation’s History

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdms/pr...ng-immigration

Old 02-03-2021, 02:00 PM

962 posts, read 541,357 times
Quote:
interesting....

119 Illegal Aliens Prosecuted For Stealing Identities of Americans, Falsifying Immigration Documents, Fraudulently Claiming to be U.S. Citizens, Other Crimes
Charges Stem from 680 Detained at Largest, Single-State Worksite Enforcement Action in Nation’s History

Utterly irrelevant, which tells me you've got nothing. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:02 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
interesting....

You didn't bother to check the date on your link, did you?

Thursday, November 7, 2019

So ... No stimulus checks there. Oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies