Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 08:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 1,544,268 times

Advertisements

Stennis was a democrat senator from Mississippi. He was in congress for over 40 years. He was a racial segregationist who voted against the civil rights acts of 1964 & 1968. He passed away in 1995.

Quote:
The US Navy needs to rename ships and and facilities that honor the Confederacy they once fought, a new service task force said in a report released Wednesday. The recommendations suggest the service might need to find new names for at least one aircraft carrier honoring a segregationist and a cruiser named for a Confederate victory.

The task force report noted that some ship names have been connected with "confederate or white supremacist ideologies."

The report did not identify any specific vessels that need to be renamed, but two ships that have been highlighted in the media and elsewhere include the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis, a US senator and segregationist who fought against racial equality, and the cruiser USS Chancellorsville, named after a major victory for the Confederacy.
https://www.businessinsider.com/navy...JfeUsdwiOBqYNs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 02:27 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,871,086 times
Good.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:02 AM

6,206 posts, read 3,414,765 times
At this point, just put numbers on everything and forget about it. Of course, I’m operating on the assumption that numbers won’t be offensive in the future?

Same with bases.

In Korea, all the Air Bases, in addition to them being named, also have a “K” designator. For example, Osan is K-55, Kunsan is K-8, Daegu is K-2, Seoul AB is K-16, etc.

They should just do that in CONUS. For example, Fort Bragg would be renamed N-15 or whatever.

Do it for ALL of them now, even if they are clear in the present day. An example would be Fort Leonard Wood. He wasn’t a Confederate General nor did he fight for the Confederacy, but he did ride with the Rough Riders and Roosevelt, so rest assured, someone somewhere is upset about him.

I’m sure he wouldn’t like being called “Lost in the Woods” anyway.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:32 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,244,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Stennis was a democrat senator from Mississippi. He was in congress for over 40 years. He was a racial segregationist who voted against the civil rights acts of 1964 & 1968. He passed away in 1995.

https://www.businessinsider.com/navy...JfeUsdwiOBqYNs

They never should have been named for Confederates anyway. It's like, why don't we name a destroyer "Bismarck" or a new bomber for Goering? How about naming our new ICBM after Stalin?

Naming ships after the enemies we fought in a war. What a STUPID idea.

The Confederacy was DEFEATED in the Civil War. Imagine how history might have been different had we ABOLISHED the Democrat party in 1865 and De-Confederacied the South for the next 20 years? Like what we did after WW2 in Japan and Germany. Maybe now we wouldn't have Republicans running around waving the Confederate Flag like it's something to be proud of, celebrating the failed state their ancestors spilled blood against 150 years ago. More than 500K dead.

Sometimes we really are our own worst enemies.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:29 PM

6,206 posts, read 3,414,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
They never should have been named for Confederates anyway. It's like, why don't we name a destroyer "Bismarck" or a new bomber for Goering? How about naming our new ICBM after Stalin?

Naming ships after the enemies we fought in a war. What a STUPID idea.

The Confederacy was DEFEATED in the Civil War. Imagine how history might have been different had we ABOLISHED the Democrat party in 1865 and De-Confederacied the South for the next 20 years? Like what we did after WW2 in Japan and Germany. Maybe now we wouldn't have Republicans running around waving the Confederate Flag like it's something to be proud of, celebrating the failed state their ancestors spilled blood against 150 years ago. More than 500K dead.

Sometimes we really are our own worst enemies.
I agree with you, they should not have named bases after Confederate Generals. Look, Fort Bragg was named in 1918. My grandfather wasn’t even alive in 1918. So are we really going to act like we fully understand the thought process of people in 1918?

It’s so easy to make decisions based on hindsight, which is exactly what we are doing now. I’m very different than a person who lived 100 years ago. If I went to 1918 Fayetteville, NC and walked around and started spouting off that it’s a dumb idea to name the base Fort Bragg, I’d probably be run out of town.

Anyway, that’s just a small part of the problem. They aren’t going to stop at Bragg or Hood or Gordon, etc.

Washington and Lincoln and Roosevelt are also in the cross hairs.

This thing is rapidly becoming something else altogether. It’s not just about combatting racism, it’s about destroying history in order to remake society.

So when Washington is erased, the 4th of July is cancelled, etc. don’t be surprised.

I think that’s why people have chosen to take a stand on Robert E. Lee, because they know he’s not the real goal. The real goal is destroying the entire history of America. Exactly like ISIS did over there.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:30 PM

4,935 posts, read 2,081,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I agree with you, they should not have named bases after Confederate Generals. Look, Fort Bragg was named in 1918. My grandfather wasn’t even alive in 1918. So are we really going to act like we fully understand the thought process of people in 1918?

It’s so easy to make decisions based on hindsight, which is exactly what we are doing now. I’m very different than a person who lived 100 years ago. If I went to 1918 Fayetteville, NC and walked around and started spouting off that it’s a dumb idea to name the base Fort Bragg, I’d probably be run out of town.

Anyway, that’s just a small part of the problem. They aren’t going to stop at Bragg or Hood or Gordon, etc.

This thing is rapidly becoming something else altogether. It’s not just about combatting racism, it’s about destroying history in order to remake society.

So when Washington is erased, the 4th of July is cancelled, etc. don’t be surprised.

I think that’s why people have chosen to take a stand on Robert E. Lee, because they know he’s not the real goal. The real goal is destroying the entire history of America. Exactly like ISIS did over there.
What he said!!

Old 02-04-2021, 09:04 PM

640 posts, read 331,934 times
I just read up on Stennis and yeah: sounds like a good decision to me. Shouldn't have ever had a ship named after him in the first place, but there are plenty of people more deserving of the honor of a ship being named after them than him.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:49 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,617,426 times
It's the right thing to do. I had to read up on Stennis. Of white supremacists, he was up there at the top, with very strong views, leading to the torture of black people to get convictions (overturned later).

Hopefully we've evolved past honoring such people, and have embraced the notion of accepting that we are a melting pot of multiple races, all equal and deserving of respect.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,077,355 times
Well, A and B.

A: Remember, fish don't vote.
B: My basic thought on naming ships after living people is that the honored should be sacrificed on the ways as the ship is launched into the sea.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,799,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

The thought process around 1918 was hey these people are getting too many ideas about equality so let’s put a bunch of statues and name buildings for their former oppressors so we can remind them what their place is and we can imagine we didn’t lose. So naming a fort after a confederate is right in line with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies