Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 02:59 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks93 View Post
Clinton had to clean up the mess made by Reaganomics

Obama had to clean up the mess by 8 years of GWB

and Biden has stepped into a pandemic which has crushed the middle and lower class, while the 1%ers all got richer
And he’s making it worse by importing 25,000 unskilled illegal aliens. More COVID for Americans, and fewer jobs. Yippee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 03:01 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
For some, it may be due to a liberal arts degree. That doesn't, however, explain many in my circle. My BIL has a doctorate and two masters, all in STEM fields. There are others I know with "hard" degrees who have switched careers as well.

Some people don't like to do the same thing for 30 years, is what it comes down to. I've jumped careers a few times, simply because I was tired of the profession I was in and I like learning new things.
Just saying that the lower compensation levels lead to much more career hopping.

Liberal arts graduates are far more likely to wind up on lower-paying career paths:

How Liberal Arts and STEM Majors Fare in Employment - AACU

Old 02-12-2021, 03:19 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And he’s making it worse by importing 25,000 unskilled illegal aliens. More COVID for Americans, and fewer jobs. Yippee.
Why more Covid for Americans?

Old 02-12-2021, 03:41 PM

507 posts, read 187,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They are Asylum seekers, your racist buzzwords are getting old.

Nice that you didn't address my points of republicans wrecking the economy when they're in power.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:55 PM

936 posts, read 2,069,316 times
I'm a democrat and an American worker, I certainly don't hate myself nor do I hate the vast majority of my friends and family who are also American Democrats, nor do I hate most people in general, democrat, republican, american, worker or not.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:53 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Clinton had to clean up the mess
Monica didn't do it for him.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:05 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Monica didn't do it for him.
Well done.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:08 PM

31,061 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Clinton had to clean up the mess made by Reaganomics

Obama had to clean up the mess by 8 years of GWB

and Biden has stepped into a pandemic which has crushed the middle and lower class, while the 1%ers all got richer
Obama cleaning up messes? Obama did nothing other than hang out with his Nation of Islam friends, transfer a few billion dollars in the middle of the night to the Mullahs in Iran. Then, in one of his appolgy speaches in Turkey Obama said:

"The United States, is not and will never be, at war with Islam."

He then proceed to Destroy 1 Islamic country, Libya, try to overthrow another one, Syria, then start it all over again with Yemen, resulting in 10s of thousands of dead Muslims, and 5 million with out homes in Syria. Sounds like war with Islam to me "Thanks you old Peace prize winner

Whoops, got off topic. If Biden pursues the green new deal let's hope it is not as disastrous as O's green job initiative.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:38 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's a liberal arts degree thing. They have a generic non-STEM degree that they can then apply to a career in everything from barista to retail sales clerk. They bounce around because the pay in those jobs is low-average, and they're not satisfied with that. It never occurs to them that they've never actually prepared themselves for a career, at all.
You can't blame it on a liberal arts degree. Blame it on the person who should have never gone to college in the first place. My son majored in history. It taught him how to write and do extensive research. Many dropped out because it was too rigorous. They thought it would be an easy major. He has a great job now. Many these days have no idea how to write. Some go to college because they feel they have to. They should really be in a trade school. Although, I do have to say being a waiter in a high end restaurant can earn you $100,000 a year.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:25 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Unfortunately every state didn't do as well as MI did the last 4 years. Was it due to Trump...I'm going to say yes, others will say no.

All I know, is we saw new plants being built, and $100's of millions being invested to revamp older plants. Money was being spent. Our housing market was on fire. I know people that sell RV's, ATV's, Snowmobiles, Boats, and Motorcycles....and the last 4 years have been their best. We were actually seeing "help wanted" signs out front of Tool, Machine , and Fabrication shops. Not single person I know did worse the last 4 years (pre covid), and even my one liberal friend said he made the most money in 2020, of his entire career.

Now everyone I know is either a skilled tradesperson or a business owner, so that might make a difference. I don't know too many people in the travel or hospitality business. Or too many non skilled workers. Although, my daughter is non skilled and has been able to find work the last couple of years, she just started one last week making $14 an hour. I know that wage sucks but it does afford her an apartment and a lease car.

I guess that is where the problem is. People in my state are doing well, so we don't see the plight of those in states that didn't do well, and vice versa. We didn't want to vote for change, while you did. And until the entire country is doing the same, we will never see eye to eye. The fact is, some of Biden's plans will hurt many of us in Michigan. I guess its the perpetual roller coaster ride we take through life. I did great under Bush Jr., and horrible under Obama (first term) and recovered but not fully during his second. I've done great under Trump....time will tell with Biden. I know increasing the number of H1B visas will definitely hurt my profession, and that is one of the things he wants to do.
Many on the left are ignorant of the FACT that we are 2nd LARGEST manufacturing country in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies