Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 11:20 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,922,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That is the inevitable direction. 2022 as well. The bad-news is being incrementally doled out, so that the masses incrementally accept it. It worked in March of 2020, and it's still working.

I swallowed it. It was delicious!

Yes, so as soon as the unremitting harshness was the least bit attenuated, disaster struck. Ergo, keep teh harshness going/

Australia was one giant bout of house-arrest. No thanks.

The point is that we are being incrementally prepared for more and more restrictions and privations. I don’t follow sports, and the last time that I attended a Super Bowl party was around 1994. This particular cause doesn’t affect me. And that’s the whole idea… peel away persons who could be swayed, because their own interests aren’t presently compromised. Later, another instance will arise, when my interests are very dearly compromised… but by then, others will have been likewise peeled away, and would be unavailable to offer support.

That might explain your perspective. I wear my mask about 10 hours a day, in a nearly-empty office. It's a start-up... sparse group, large building, but owned by a rabid hypochondriac.

If you have lots at stake, and comparatively little cost, surely you'd sustain the cost. But if the situation is exactly the other way around, don't matters also appear the other way around?
The fact some companies and governments mask policies are absurd is not a good reason to reject wearing masks when social distancing isn't possible. There's a lack of common sense on both sides.

My conclusion, regardless of government or corporate policies is generally masks should be worn in enclosed spaces where social distancing isn't possible. I had this same belief before I retired in September working for a corporation that had a policy of wearing masks that was pretty close to the conditions you are working under.

Last edited by whogo; 02-07-2021 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 11:23 AM

5,865 posts, read 3,309,794 times
I have 16 people coming. 8 of them already vaccinated. Ton of food and beer.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:24 AM

9,476 posts, read 10,831,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
Another exhibit A of why we can't travel to other countries, go on a cruise, see a show and eat inside a restaurant everywhere. But keep blaming Fauci.

If people had done this right from the beginning we would no longer be dealing with this.
If you cannot eat in a restaurant then your state is part of the problem. Here in America we have been able to eat in restaurants all year with the exception of a short few week period in April. Our governor wisely reopened the state when he realized the people here did not support that kind of thing.

I have been to more restaurants this year than last. I like going out as it is a nice enjoyable way to display my defiance against the rona worriers in a meaningful way. I support local businesses and the economy. I support the employees of those businesses. I support personal freedom when I exercise my rights in defiance of Fauci and every other rona worry wart.

If people had done the right thing and let this run its course from the beginning we would be done with this by now.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:30 PM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Sit in front of your television and wear two masks.
I can't stand Dr. Gloom and Doom. Why isn't he criticizing Biden for allowing all these foreigners in at our southern border right now during this pandemic. Yet families shouldn't gather together for a small Superbowl party? Hypocrite!

Old 02-07-2021, 02:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 450,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If you cannot eat in a restaurant then your state is part of the problem. Here in America we have been able to eat in restaurants all year with the exception of a short few week period in April. Our governor wisely reopened the state when he realized the people here did not support that kind of thing.

I have been to more restaurants this year than last. I like going out as it is a nice enjoyable way to display my defiance against the rona worriers in a meaningful way. I support local businesses and the economy. I support the employees of those businesses. I support personal freedom when I exercise my rights in defiance of Fauci and every other rona worry wart.

If people had done the right thing and let this run its course from the beginning we would be done with this by now.
In my state there are restaurants open for indoor dining but many are not and just open for take out. I guess it's a choice of the owner. My point is many don't want to go dine indoors. There wouldn't be a problem if we had gotten this under control. If we had let this run it's course it would be 100x worse.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:30 PM

15,879 posts, read 14,524,048 times
The chance that any legitimate statistics are coming out of NK are negligible. I look at the Johns Hopkins Covid statistics, and often think that a lot of the countries have no idea how many people are really dying of Covid, and have no real means of monitoring anything about the disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
From John hopkins:

Deaths from Covid-19:

South Korea 1.88 per hundred thousand
United States 1371 per hundred thousand

Old 02-07-2021, 02:31 PM

15,879 posts, read 14,524,048 times
Apparently someone (and, really, an entire city) didn't get the memo:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/07/tampa-...per-bowl-2021/

Old 02-07-2021, 02:44 PM

13,677 posts, read 9,756,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
There wouldn't be a problem if we had gotten this under control. If we had let this run it's course it would be 100x worse.
I wonder about both extremes. In the one, suppose that "we had gotten it under control"... initially. What is meant by "under control"? Like Germany or Slovakia, only to see a harrowing explosion of cases and deaths? Maybe like Australia? But at what cost?

In the other, what "if we had let this run it's [sic] course"? Assume the worst... 100% infection. What then? Would there have been a sizeable number of boomerang re-infections? Or would we be done? It seems that whenever I mention this scenario, in writing or in speech, I am dismissed, as being a bloodthirsty savage, or a besotted idiot. Yes? But rarely is it seriously considered, what are the trade-offs.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:49 PM

17,354 posts, read 12,311,581 times
I thought the whole season was cancelled and was surprised to see people talking about it this weekend.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:56 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,951,863 times
Im headed to a Superbowl party. 3 different households, at least 10 people, no masks, no vaccinations, no social distancing. And i can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies