Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 09:10 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you're not looking out for your interests, you're demanding that everything helps you.
if you can't see how laughable that is, I can't help you.
Uh no, I'm looking out for my own interests. And the reason I'm doing it is because I know that no one will look out for my interests like I will. Basically, I'm not looking at this in terms of "we're all in this together".

It's not laughable to me. I'm not asking anyone to help me. I'm simply stating that there's nothing in it for me in terms of race realism. I can only be harmed by it. I'm taking the "look out for me first" stance when it comes to this subject.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:07 PM

1,503 posts, read 606,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black people were beginning to leave for Atlanta during the late 1970s/early 1980s. And I'm willing to bet this included alot of White collar types. I've been around many Black people in the Atlanta area during the late 2000s to late 2010s. The "dumb" Black people were the ones who were part of the underclass, who were the ones who barely finished high school. Black people who went to college, graduated, working in professional jobs (the line of work I do involves some engineering), those Black people were far from dumb. Based on MY experiences, this is why I dismiss individuals who think the way you do as racist.

My reality is not your reality.
To each his own.
I'll always prefer Chinese or Jewish doctor over white doctor over black one, especially those graduated in last 20 years, because I know for the fact that most of blacks got into med schools by quotes, not by knowledge. If it would be 50-60 years ago, I wouldn't care, because quotes didn't exist back then, and whoever became a doctor did really earn it. But this is not the case anymore.

But you feel free to prefer black ones. Just don't complain when one of them cut the wrong leg.

Apparently, most posters have no clue what Bell curve is and how it works.
In short - each group has an average IQ. In large population, we can safely assume that 50% are below it, and 50% are above, but the further from the average, the less percent of the group it is.
If we assume, for example, that average black IQ is 80, and average white IQ is 100, it does not mean that there are no smart blacks or there are no stupid whites. All it means that percent-wise there are more smart whites. If we take random group of 1000 whites and 1000 blacks Bell curve would mean that there are, say, 100 whites and 80 blacks of the certain IQ (somewhere above average) and 80 whites and 100 blacks of another IQ (somewhere below average).

If I'm an employer looking to fill an important position, I rarely have a chance to understand the real qualification of the applicant before hiring. Tests, resumes and certificates do not work - take it from someone who been in this business for quarter of a century. So basically, big part of hiring process is like a gamble. And to improve chances, I'd prefer to hire white versus black, even if on paper they are the same, for the very simple reason: even if there is 1% bigger chance to get smarter person based on Bell curve distribution, I should use that chance for the benefit of my business. And before you jump, I would qualify further: I would always prefer man over woman (except in test department - there women are preferable because they tend to have much bigger attention to the details), single over married, etc. Yeap, label me racist, sexist, whatever else - money talk much louder than any "woke" advocate.

Nothing personal, just business. After all, last time I checked there is still capitalism out there.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:19 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
Meaning without knowledge. The scientist's comment is far from ignorant, in fact his comment is based on fact; indicative of plenty of knowledge.

Whereas your comment is the classic definition of ignorant.

You're missing the point entirely.

Facts are racist tools employed by privileged white males to oppress everyone that isn't also a white male.

Old 02-13-2021, 01:32 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe the problem is that you were in Detroit. Detroit has been suffering a major brain drain within its Black population. Some of the educated, and the professionals have been leaving for other places. Ask yourself why. Why are Asians willing to given Detroit a try, but many members of the Black educated/professional class are leaving?

I've met many Blacks from Michigan (especially from the Detroit area) living in the Atlanta area. I've met plenty of Black professionals living in the Atlanta area from other parts of the USA. Basing your whole view on Blacks based on Detroit isn't the smartest idea in the world.

In SE Michigan, it used to be the case that Detroit, Highland Park and Inkster were the cities where blacks lived, period!

That's all changed.

Large numbers of blacks now live in formerly Lilly-white Farmington Hills, Livonia, Westland, Taylor, Southgate, and yes, Dearborn.

The blacks that are intelligent enough to get out of Detroit do so.

The fact that so many don't leave speaks for itself.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:09 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Is the American Creed myth or reality? The question is for you and for others.
It's an ideal, a standard to strive for, in the minds of Americans since the time of Jefferson. It's never been fully realized but much progress has been made, or was being made until recently when Progressives began to declare that being colorblind and judging people without regard to race is actually racist. Now, without a change of course, it seems the American Creed will become a relic of history.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
When did this become our creed? 1965?
The Civil Rights Era was certainly a highlight in terms of realization of the American Creed but it goes back to 1776.
Quote:
It was an English author, G.K. Chesterton, who first said, “America is the only nation in the world that is founded on a creed,” one set forth with “theological lucidity in the Declaration of Independence.” He memorably called America “a nation with the soul of a church.” Though the American Creed as fashioned by Thomas Jefferson and perfected by the Continental Congress rests upon a clear separation between church and state, the body politic does have a soul.
https://www.thenation.com/article/ar...merican-creed/

Quote:
And what is the purpose of the creed? What are its benefits?
The purpose of the founders was to build a just society that could succeed and endure. The principles we associate with the American Creed have probably helped unite the country enough to hold together for the past 244 years. Abandonment of them is likely a step toward dissolution.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:35 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Charles Murray is a political science, with an emphasis on the former. Conservatives like to peddle junk science and Murray is a prime example.
Excerpt: Conservatives like to peddle junk science
Response :Opinion

Most conservatives as myself are God, Family and Work oriented.
To say that most peddle ? Maybe a bicycle................

Old 02-13-2021, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The problem I see from drawing mathematical conclusions about the "IQ" of different ethnic groups is that there is too much statistical correlation with environmental factors, including cultural, social, and economic impacts. This heavily biases the conclusions. Plus the variation within each group is larger than the putative ethnic differences. Unless we can drill down to the specific genetic differences and their impact on development, I don't think we can (or ethically whether we even should) draw useful conclusions.

The way I look at it is simply using a single numerical metric -- IQ -- oversimplifies the issue. There are multiple forms of intelligence recognized, and each provides useful benefits. Many of the people who are significant contributors to society often have asymmetrical intelligence factors; mostly through chance they are particularly endowed with favorable intelligence in one or two areas. At the same time they may have a fairly mundane overall IQ rating. I personally think it's the asymmetrically intelligent people who are the most useful to society, and their talents deserve to prosper. These appear to be randomly distributed throughout every ethnic group.
So much of this sort of verbiage appeared in media after The Bell Curve was first published that a group of academics with expertise in the field composed this statement to clear the air.

Quote:
Since the publication of "The Bell Curve," many commentators have offered opinions about human intelligence that misstate current scientific evidence. Some conclusions dismissed in the media as discredited are actually firmly supported.

This statement outlines conclusions regarded as mainstream among researchers on intelligence, in particular, on the nature, origins, and practical consequences of individual and group differences in intelligence. Its aim is to promote more reasoned discussion of the vexing phenomenon that the research has revealed in recent decades. The following conclusions are fully described in the major textbooks, professional journals and encyclopedias in intelligence.

The Meaning and Measurement of Intelligence

1. Intelligence is a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings--"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.

2. Intelligence, so defined, can be measured, and intelligence tests measure it well. They are among the most accurate (in technical terms, reliable and valid) of all psychological tests and assessments. They do not measure creativity, character personality, or other important differences among individuals, nor are they intended to.

3. While there are different types of intelligence tests, they all measure the same intelligence. Some use words or numbers and require specific cultural knowledge (like vocabulary). Others do not, and instead use shapes or designs and require knowledge of only simple, universal concepts (many/few, open/closed, up/down).

4. The spread of people along the IQ continuum, from low to high, can be represented well by the bell curve (in statistical jargon, the "normal curve"). Most people cluster around the average (IQ 100). Few are either very bright or very dull: About 3% of Americans score above IQ 130 (often considered the threshold for "giftedness"), with about the same percentage below IQ 70 (IQ 70-75 often being considered the threshold for mental retardation).

5. Intelligence tests are not culturally biased against American blacks or other native-born, English-speaking peoples in the U.S. Rather, IQ scores predict equally accurately for all such Americans, regardless of race and social class. Individuals who do not understand English well can be given either a nonverbal test or one in their native language.

6. The brain processes underlying intelligence are still little understood. Current research looks, for example, at speed of neural transmission, glucose (energy) uptake, and electrical activity of the brain, uptake, and electrical activity of the brain.

Group Differences

7. Members of all racial-ethnic groups can be found at every IQ level. The bell curves of different groups overlap considerably, but groups often differ in where their members tend to cluster along the IQ line. The bell curves for some groups (Jews and East Asians) are centered somewhat higher than for whites in general. Other groups (blacks and Hispanics) are centered somewhat lower than non-Hispanic whites.

8. The bell curve for whites is centered roughly around IQ 100; the bell curve for American blacks roughly around 85; and those for different subgroups of Hispanics roughly midway between those for whites and blacks. The evidence is less definitive for exactly where above IQ 100 the bell curves for Jews and Asians are centered.

Practical Importance

9. IQ is strongly related, probably more so than any other single measurable human trait, to many important educational, occupational, economic, and social outcomes. Its relation to the welfare and performance of individuals is very strong in some arenas in life (education, military training), moderate but robust in others (social competence), and modest but consistent in others (law-abidingness). Whatever IQ tests measure, it is of great practical and social importance...
Mainstream Science on Intelligence

Old 02-13-2021, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Any information that is uncomfortable is either embraced by racists as proof of others inferiority, or dismissed outright because it discusses things you aren't allowed to discuss.

I don't think the public sphere is the right place for Murray's work, because yes it will be used by racists to justify their racism, and it will also be dismissed by anyone who sees it as insulting or morally reprehensible. But in an academic setting, it has it's place. Right now, with the current climate in US Universities, that's the furthest place from where it could be talked about.
Murray is not the racial instigator here, he's responding to the current situation. "White privilege" and "systemic racism" hucksters already control the narrative and create turmoil. Murray's just pointing out where they're wrong.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:57 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintberryCrunch View Post
Because white folks don't have a history of having speedbumps placed in front of them every time they attempt to be treated like human beings. In reality, black folks have only been truly free since the 60s. Because before then, they were still 2nd class citizens.
BS. Black men had the Constitutional Right to vote 50 years before White women did. Now, who's been treated like 2nd class citizens the longest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies