Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 10:15 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
If superior/inferior in the sense of the peculiar "white supremacists" such as those interviewed by Carol Swain, who believe that every nonwhite person is a "mud people" person simply because of being nonwhite (these whites would take an educated, ignorant, illiterate white person over an Ivy League graduate/genius-level composer/writer/engineer/mathematician who is black or Asian), then I agree with you completely.

But there are at least some group differences. For example, the NBA is overwhelmingly black in its membership. It's been nearly 40 years or so since a nationally televised NBA match had 10 white players on the court.

Now, countries like South Korea and Brazil have their own professional basketball leagues. The tallest and most physically capable South Korean men who play basketball well to be pros make it. Yet, how many of those make it the NBA?

Conversely, in places as distinct as South Korea and countries in South America, black American professional basketball players compete. Are they rejects from the NBA? Not necessarily. But if they're not good enough for the NBA, they're nonetheless good enough to compete in these leagues.

The same happens in baseball. White American baseball players play in South Korea. Brazilian soccer players past their prime play in China.

The NBA however wants the best of the best and most of the time that's black players. Those guys are physically supergifted and endowed with out of this world athleticism. In that sense they are my superiors, and unquestionably so.

But in writing, for example - and I consider myself just a halfway decent writer - are they my superiors or inferiors? I'd gather than I can probably write better than most of them. In this sense, I'm the superior of an NBA player.

So we need to define "superior/inferior."
The first paragraph is what I'm talking about. I'm talking specifically about the "race realists" and "white supremacist" types.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:16 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I get that point. I have to wonder if it is more cultural in nature. Asians seem to value and judge one another based on education more. This emphasis and competition creates a desire to excel.

One very interesting thing the elderly black man from my town brought up in the video I mentioned was the expectations of students in his day for a good education versus what he sees now. He said he saw less literacy issues with graduates of a segregated two room school house (with little funding) than what he sees today.

He specifically mentioned the importance back then of being passed to the 7th grade. It was a big deal and considered a turning point. If you couldn't cut it you went back to 6th. He said what you were required to know to pass to 7th rivals what is required to graduate HS today.

Peer pressure and the ability to openly criticize others was a huge factor back then too. It was perceived as a good thing. You were made fun of if you had to go back so there were social pressures to excel. That's a lot of what we are lacking today.

The whole "participation trophy" mindset is hurting society. Oh, I get it as I agree with fairness too, but like most ideas that start out from good intentions, it's been taken too far. Look at the unintended consequences. We are more worried about "feelings" today than results. That change in emphasis is tearing down a society's ability to keep people in check and on the right path in life.
It's probably about 50/50 cultural and heredity. But they act together and not independently. You have to ask where does culture come from in the first place if not heredity, instinctively or innately. The example of the black man in your story, which sounds a lot like the story of my mom's black neighbor in a rural town in the 1930s, he adapted the then dominate white culture of the time. But the white culture of the time was inherit to whites and came about by their innate tendencies.

Also, up till the mid 20th century women couldn't afford to mate with good looking losers and cads and a person had to be generally fit to make it.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:16 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Stop it with the Asians comparisons. Why do Koreans do better than the Chinese and they in turn outperform the Filipinos? Why do Cubans and Nigerians outperform Filipinos?

Some countries we are getting their more upwardly mobile regardless of wealth and education, some or all of the above and most are a mixture. The standing of their group in this country also has bearing on lower level comers excelling more the higher their overall group is doing. No to mention distance and difficulty getting here as factors on who makes it. How well African immigrants do here is quite telling in this regard.

Asians in general are more upwardly mobile + more educated and financially secure + melting into an already successful group class + difficulty getting here weeds out the less success oriented. Hispanics for the most part are only upwardly mobile, but even that is watered down due to the ease in getting here.

Trumps clamp down would have likely increased the quality of Hispanic migrants coming in.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:19 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
1) IQ can vary WIDELY even among siblings with the same parents. Many lower IQ parents have high IQ children and vice versa.
2) These three black children with the highest IQ's in the world are in that group.
3) Not all Mensa members are successful (some are garbage men and janitors) and come from all walks of life.
4) Studies of high- IQ blacks have found several times as many females as males above the 120 IQ level. If IQ differences of this magnitude can occur with no genetic difference at all, then it is more than mere speculation to say that some unusual environmental effects must be at work among blacks.
5) I knew someone who was in charge of med school admissions and was told the women were simply buckling down and trying harder compared to the men who were more likely to spend time partying and didn't apply themselves.
1) This is called "regression to the mean".
2) IQ scores are standardized by age. The black-white IQ gap seems to grow with age. Blacks seem to develop earlier than whites. They can sit up, crawl, and walk earlier. They get their teeth earlier, go through puberty earlier. Blacks even have shorter pregnancies than whites. Whites just seem to take longer to develop.
3) No where is this more true than in my own life. It isn't from a lack of ability, but rather a lack of ambition. Someday I'll probably end up homeless, if I don't kill myself first.
4) Men and women don't have identical genetics. The Y-Chromosome is why men are far more likely to have autism, color-blindness, among other things. Moreover, hormonal differences change the way the brain develops, especially during pregnancy and puberty.
5) Men and women have different brains. Girls tend to be better at communication, language, emotions, recognizing faces, etc. While men think more analytically. In psychology they say, "Boys are more interested in things, girls are more interested in people". Boys also tend to have more energy and a greater desire to play. This makes it much harder for them to sit still for hours upon hours in classrooms. Girls are more calm and complacent. More capable of repetitive mundane tasks, and better at multitasking.

Quote:
Reportedly by 18 months, Anala was reciting numbers in both Spanish and English and by her fifth birthday in 2014, she could recite the name of every North American state on the map, as well as every capital.
Intelligence != memorization. Intelligence is problem-solving/understanding. Humans basically lack the ability to reason until about 7-8 years old.

https://www.scholastic.com/parents/f...ge-reason.html

Old 02-16-2021, 10:31 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The first paragraph is what I'm talking about. I'm talking specifically about the "race realists" and "white supremacist" types.
You are then speaking about the National Vanguard, National Alliance, and other such groups. Even within the world of the alt-right/extreme-far-dissident right, they're a tiny minority.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I don't buy the race issue. IQ isn't just dependent on genetics. IQ can vary WIDELY even among siblings with the same parents. I see that in my own family and I know I am not alone. Many lower IQ parents have high IQ children and vice versa. It's oddly random how that works out.

Mensa is an elite club as there are so few who qualify. High IQ individuals are scattered among all races. These three black children with the highest IQ's in the world are in that group.

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...r-in-the-world

This article is interesting as it points out that not all Mensa members are successful (some are garbage men and janitors) and come from all walks of life.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...351-story.html

Life experience apparently counts too; From the Upstream article:

A remarkable phenomenon commented on in the Moynihan report of thirty years ago goes unnoticed in The Bell Curve--the prevalence of females among blacks who score high on mental tests. Others who have done studies of high- IQ blacks have found several times as many females as males above the 120 IQ level. Since black males and black females have the same genetic inheritance, this substantial disparity must have some other roots, especially since it is not found in studies of high-IQ individuals in the general society, such as the famous Terman studies, which followed high-IQ children into adulthood and later life. If IQ differences of this magnitude can occur with no genetic difference at all, then it is more than mere speculation to say that some unusual environmental effects must be at work among blacks. However, these environmental effects need not be limited to blacks, for other low-IQ groups of European or other ancestries have likewise tended to have females over-represented among their higher scorers, even though the Terman studies of the general population found no such patterns.

One possibility is that females are more resistant to bad environmental conditions, as some other studies suggest. In any event, large sexual disparities in high-IQ individuals where there are no genetic or socioeconomic differences present a challenge to both the Herrnstein- Murray thesis and most of their critics.

I do believe many times females try harder to overcome circumstances. An example; Medicine has always been a male dominated field. Currently more women are being admitted to medical school than men. https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...edical-schools

This was happening in my area in the 90's. I knew someone who was in charge of med school admissions and was told the women were simply buckling down and trying harder compared to the men who were more likely to spend time partying and didn't apply themselves. This doesn't make every one of the women inherently "smarter" than their male counterparts, but as a group they were certainly scoring higher on tests and had the dedication for the years of work required. Now it's a nationwide development.
I can perfectly and happily accept that super-high-IQ blacks exist. Why wouldn't they?

Now, you made an interesting point. IQ can vary within a family even if the children were born from the same two parents. So, if siblings with the same biological mother and father, raised by them in the same home with completely equal (and unrestricted) access to resources: parental love, attention, support, encouragement, assistance, guidance, and mentorship; the best possible food (let's imagine mom and dad have a combined annual gross income of $2 million, which means all the kids eat only organic/grass-fed food from birth), the best possible education (with that income, all the kids attend the best local private schools from pre-K to high school followed by Ivy League schools)... and yet, if the children end up having disparate results in financial and professional and academic (university and beyond) performance, why would there not be disparate results between:

1. Individuals of the same ethnic group living in the same enclave
2. Individuals of similar ethnic groups (i.e, mainland Chinese, South Koreans, Japanese, and Taiwanese)
3. Individuals of vastly different ethnic groups (i.e, white Swedes vs. black Zimbabweans)

?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:56 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
You are then speaking about the National Vanguard, National Alliance, and other such groups. Even within the world of the alt-right/extreme-far-dissident right, they're a tiny minority.
They are small in number. However, there are also people here on city-data who think along those same lines. They come here to vent the anger they have towards Blacks. I'm not saying they are in the majority. I'm saying this. Said persons are speaking as if they have such grand authority, as if what they have to say should be valued and respected.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:59 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
They are small in number. However, there are also people here on city-data who think along those same lines. They come here to vent the anger they have towards Blacks. I'm not saying they are in the majority. I'm saying this. Said persons are speaking as if they have such grand authority, as if what they have to say should be valued and respected.
Groups like the NAACP and even the mainstream "(white) systemic racism" explains outcomes are no better and worse.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
It’s not always that they can’t tell the difference.

Some people just don’t want to. Unfortunately.
I wish I did not agree with this, but I do - for such is humanity.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
C-D is simply nothing more than an online bulletin board, and given this website's regulars are what - a microscopic representation of the population? - added to the anonymity of the Internet, I respectfully offer that you may not want to give as much credence to these people as they think they're entitled to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies