Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 02:45 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
my dad taught AP calculus as a highschool teacher. He also has a degree in physics.

He says that common core is all about the shortcuts he taught advanced math students.
His problem with it was he was teaching these methods to people who understood how numbers work.
teaching the shortcuts without teaching how math works is a mistake.... according to my dad...

but what do I know, i majored in History.
Agree with your dad. Teaching shortcuts to those who know the basic concepts is an advanced step. But trying to teach shortcuts to those who don't understand the basics is skipping the most important part. You have to understand the basics to be able to apply them through shortcuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 03:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So, in this world, what are the non racist alternative answers to 2+2 = 4?
Read what I said. The issue was in the instruction, not with math itself. Read the actual documents published, not the Fox News commentary. The intention is to have educators reflect on personal biases they might have.

If you don't think there needs to be awareness to racial biases with educators, that's fine, but the claim that this says "math is racist" is inaccurate.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:25 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
You're all making too much of this. It's all a really simple concept. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. For example: 1 + 1 = 2 or 1 + 1 = orange.
Pie are square. No, pie are round, cornbread are square.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:22 AM

3,842 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Who knew numbers and getting the correct answer is racist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) recently encouraged teachers to register for training that encourages "ethnomathematics" and argues, among other things, that White supremacy manifests itself in the focus on finding the right answer.

An ODE newsletter sent last week advertises a Feb. 21 "Pathway to Math Equity Micro-Course," which is designed for middle school teachers to make use of a toolkit for "dismantling racism in mathematics." The event website identifies the event as a partnership between California's San Mateo County Office of Education, The Education Trust-West and others.

Part of the toolkit includes a list of ways "white supremacy culture" allegedly "infiltrates math classrooms." Those include "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," students being "required to 'show their work,'" and other alleged manifestations.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-ed...hite-supremacy
This doesn't make sense. We were taught to show our work in math to prove we didn't cheat or to show each step of answering the math question. It can be helpful if a mistake is made to go back and see what step was wrong.

Oregon needs to focus time and energy on things that will truly help children learn math and first is getting rid of common core.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:14 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Here we go !!!

1+1 will not equal two !!!
If we are to go by the way this usually works, 1+1=2, for some people.

For others, 1+1=(whatever number you choose to write here)

Old 02-13-2021, 07:18 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
This doesn't make sense. We were taught to show our work in math to prove we didn't cheat or to show each step of answering the math question. It can be helpful if a mistake is made to go back and see what step was wrong.

Oregon needs to focus time and energy on things that will truly help children learn math and first is getting rid of common core.
When I was in school, my mind would often come up with the correct number a different way than the teacher taught us to get there. I would show my work, but often would have points deducted for not getting to the correct answer the way the teacher showed us to get there. That was always frustrating to me. I hope that is something they changed since then.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:37 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Read what I said. The issue was in the instruction, not with math itself. Read the actual documents published, not the Fox News commentary. The intention is to have educators reflect on personal biases they might have.

If you don't think there needs to be awareness to racial biases with educators, that's fine, but the claim that this says "math is racist" is inaccurate.
Directly from the workbook:

White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when...

The focus is on getting the “right” answer.

Instead...

The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so. Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.

Math IS about getting the right answer. 2 + 2 = 4. What do you tell the student who says "3." Do you say "The correct answer is 4" so that now they know or do you "Very good, all answers are equally valid if you feel that way."

Old 02-13-2021, 08:58 AM

1,301 posts, read 666,230 times
"Right answers" = racism!

Good God, the left is truly mentally ill, there's no other way to describe them as this point.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:30 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post

Along this lines, if the student has to show their work, it’s easier for a teacher to tell where the student has a gap in their understanding. Do they not understand how to isolate a variable? Was the wrong answer due to a missed positive or negative? Did they just forget that when you divide by a negative when working with inequalities that you flip the inequality sign?

On that note, maybe inequalities are racist on their own due to their name, and we can’t say ‘negative’ because it’s negative, lol.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:40 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Don't worry about the correct math result,..don't bother demonstrating that you actually understand it.

Why did that bridge collapse?! Eh,..my math wasn't correct,..stop being a bigot!

This is not helping make the case to better fund Schools and teachers,..lol.
Yeah, we wouldn't want to put any emphasis in science and engineering on accuracy, would we? That would be racist.

Why did the nuclear power plant just blow up and kill a hundred thousand people? Well... little Johnny the Nuclear Engineer never was very good at getting the right answer with his math.

It seems math is the one topic that drives the lefties nuts at this point. It's one topic that no matter how hard they try to say otherwise, there IS a right and a wrong answer. That really pizzes them off because they have screwed every other intellectual endeavor up. But they can't get to math. So what do they do? Well, they just say... "Okay, let's just not worry about getting the right answer anymore. That way we can dumb it down to the level we've dumbed everything else down."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
from the article, this is to correct racism in mathematics instruction
Care to explain the precise difference? What is "racist math instruction"? Calling the students names? Pointing out skin color in the classroom? What exactly? And what is "non-racist" math instruction. Tell you one thing, in math the ONLY thing that matters is getting the right answer. If you take that away, there is no point of even having a math class. Just use the time for critical race theory and other such evil bull****.

Here is a problem for you:

5(x+9)-3x+17=3-2(x-9)-6(x-4)

You can either solve it or you can't. Ain't nothin' to do with race. You either know how to accurately apply the axioms, properties, and techniques to solve it or you don't, regardless of your race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies