Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 05:20 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
According to stats I've seen, they're slightly less likely to be married.
NY Times 2020 Exit Poll, again:

Married voters: +7 Republican
Unmarried voters: +18 Democrat

Data Source: National Election Pool/Edison Research, which also includes extensive interviews with in-person early voters and telephone surveys of early and absentee voters. Edison Research is the sole provider of exit poll data to the NEP. (Someone asked about that earlier.)

And now we see that married people are more educated than unmarried people. Very interesting, and runs counter to Democrats claiming their voter base is more educated.

The Education Gap in Marital Status Continues to Grow - Pew Research

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...status-widens/

This clears up my question of how in the world is the Democrat voter base supposedly better educated BUT earning less than Republicans. The former isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 05:27 AM

362 posts, read 143,941 times
I think anyone who's in their right mind tends to vote Republican, or at least not Democrat. Single or not.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyone777 View Post
I think anyone who's in their right mind tends to vote Republican, or at least not Democrat. Single or not.
why? I'm in my "right" mind and I would have to have no mind to ever vote for Trump or Cruz. so let's rephrase it to say.

Anyone who's in their right mind, knows better to vote for the candidates the Republicans have been offering up.

can we say Majorie Taylor Greene?

Old 02-16-2021, 05:58 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Here’s a link that disputes those claims:

“In 1996, Republican voters were more likely than Democrats to have a four-year degree, according to a Pew study of party identification. Today college graduates make up 41% of Democrats, compared with 30% of Republicans.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.csm...a-divide-grows
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
NY Times 2020 Exit Poll, again:

Married voters: +7 Republican
Unmarried voters: +18 Democrat

Data Source: National Election Pool/Edison Research, which also includes extensive interviews with in-person early voters and telephone surveys of early and absentee voters. Edison Research is the sole provider of exit poll data to the NEP. (Someone asked about that earlier.)

And now we see that married people are more educated than unmarried people. Very interesting, and runs counter to Democrats claiming their voter base is more educated.

The Education Gap in Marital Status Continues to Grow - Pew Research

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...status-widens/

This clears up my question of how in the world is the Democrat voter base supposedly better educated BUT earning less than Republicans. The former isn't true.

Notice your words in BOLD. “Married people are more educated than unmarried people”. Then you claim (also in BOLD) that means Republican voters are better educated than Democratic voters. Except they’re not.

How can that be? We must have a logic failure somewhere........ I got it! Not every registered voter is married. If you include ALL registered voters, 41% of Democrats have college degrees as compared to only 30% of Republicans (See my words in BOLD). The numbers get even more weighted toward Democrats if we look at advanced degrees.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Notice your words in BOLD. “Married people are more educated than unmarried people”. Then you claim (also in BOLD) that means Republican voters are better educated than Democratic voters. Except they’re not.
Actually, as a group, they are. More of them are married, explaining marriage's education gap. And they earn more money than Democrats. The fact that the Republican voter base is more educated than the Democrat voter base explains the income gap, as well.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Actually, as a group, they are. More of them are married, explaining marriage's education gap. And they earn more money than Democrats. The fact that the Republican voter base is more educated than the Democrat voter base explains the income gap, as well.
No, they’re not. Unless you’re claiming that 41% is less than 30%.

Married Republicans ONLY are more educated than the entirety of Democrats, but the entirety of Democrats are more educated than the entirety of Republicans. By 11% if we look at undergrad degrees alone. If we look at post graduate degrees, Republicans really fall short with 31% of advance degree holders to 63% for Democrats.

Used to be the Republicans were the more highly educated party. But that’s changed over the past 2 decades with more people with high school degrees or less moving to the Republican Party while those with college degrees moved to the Democratic Party.

Here’s an article talking about the shift:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.was...ew-research-c/

Old 02-16-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
No, they’re not. Unless you’re claiming that 41% is less than 30%.
The voter base. Yes, Republicans are more educated than Democrats. More Republicans are married, which aligns with marriage's education gap. And Republicans earn more than Democrats. Makes sense when you consider the fact that income levels are correlated to education levels.

I'm sorry you don't like the truth.

Quote:
Married Republicans ONLY are more educated than the entirety of Democrats, but the entirety of Democrats are more educated than the entirety of Republicans. By 11% if we look at undergrad degrees alone. If we look at post graduate degrees, Republicans really fall short with 31% of advance degree holders to 63% for Democrats.
You forgot to account for the under-educated Democrats among the voter base. Those who don't even have a high school diploma or GED overwhelmingly vote Dem. That's what drags the Democrat voter base education level AND income level down quite a bit, making both lower than that of the Republican voter base.

Another tie-in from Pew's Marriage's Education Gap article (the majority of married people are Republicans):

Financial Stability and Marital Status - Pew Research

Again, the Democrat voter base earns less than Republicans and are therefore less likely to marry.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The voter base. Yes, Republicans are more educated than Democrats. More Republicans are married, which aligns with marriage's education gap. And Republicans earn more than Democrats. Makes sense when you consider the fact that income levels are correlated to education levels.

I'm sorry you don't like the truth.

You forgot to account for the under-educated Democrats among the voter base. Those who don't even have a high school diploma or GED overwhelmingly vote Dem. That's what drags the Democrat voter base education level AND income level down quite a bit, making both lower than that of the Republican voter base.

Another tie-in from Pew's Marriage's Education Gap article (the majority of married people are Republicans):

Financial Stability and Marital Status - Pew Research

Again, the Democrat voter base earns less than Republicans and are therefore less likely to marry.
The 30% and 41% figure are for ALL registered voters. They could be married or unmarried. When you take ALL of them into consideration, 41% of registered Democrats have an undergrad degree. 30% of registered Republicans have an undergrad degree. The numbers skew even more heavily in favor of the Democrats if we look at advanced degrees.

Bottom line: 41% is greater than 30%. It’s simple math.

You’re cherry picking data (married people only) and drawing a flawed conclusion based on it. You can claim that married Republicans are better educated when compared with the entirety of registered Democrats, but to conflate that into “Republicans are more educated than Democrats” makes me wonder about your level of education.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
The 30% and 41% figure are for ALL registered voters.
Now post the percentage of those without even a high school diploma or GED. A very high percentage of them are Democrats. Pretty easy to understand when the demographic groups with the lowest education levels overwhelmingly vote Democrat. It pulls down the education level of the voter base.

Voter Base by Demographic Group

The facts remain...

Voter Base Data:

Republicans more likely to be married, and the marriage gap indicates that married people are more educated than unmarried people

Republicans earn more than Democrats, and income is correlated to education level.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:11 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Anyone who's in their right mind, knows better to vote for the candidates the Republicans have been offering up.

can we say Majorie Taylor Greene?
She is certainly not worse than Ilhan Omar.

That one still takes the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies