Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 01:38 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,280,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Those lockdowns would have to be enforced in the ghettos too. What happens when a gang attacks the police for trying to enforce those orders in a rough neighborhood and has to shoot them in self defense and mass riots break out in many major cities? Anyone who thinks we can do what Singapore did is delusional. Singapore is ethnically diverse but no ghetto culture whatsoever.
Never said we'd cherry pick certain neighborhoods, did I? Or that it would be easy. I get that we aren't going down the ideal path and have decided as a society to live with the consequences of such a high death toll. But, the question I was answering is what could we have done to lower the spread.

But, since you're referring to more impoverished neighborhoods and are inferring to the high crime rate, death tolls from gun violence, urban blight, etc., I have another one for you. Why not invest into the community to provide more money/resources for education, career opportunities, health/wellness issues, etc? I get that this isn't a quick fix, but long-term, our societal costs would be a lot less. Yes, you'd have to invest with government money, which I understand you conservatives absolutely despise. But, we'd be able to save on health care, welfare, policing costs, etc., you name it. By maintaining the status quo, you're actually having to devote more money into these areas than you would otherwise.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Never said we'd cherry pick certain neighborhoods, did I? Or that it would be easy. I get that we aren't going down the ideal path and have decided as a society to live with the consequences of such a high death toll. But, the question I was answering is what could we have done to lower the spread.

But, since you're referring to more impoverished neighborhoods and are inferring to the high crime rate, death tolls from gun violence, urban blight, etc., I have another one for you. Why not invest into the community to provide more money/resources for education, career opportunities, health/wellness issues, etc? I get that this isn't a quick fix, but long-term, our societal costs would be a lot less. Yes, you'd have to invest with government money, which I understand you conservatives absolutely despise. But, we'd be able to save on health care, welfare, policing costs, etc., you name it. By maintaining the status quo, you're actually having to devote more money into these areas than you would otherwise.

I am a Libertarian son of nonwhite immigrants. I don't think it's economic poverty causing the crime but a culture that glorifies it. Look at countries like Vietnam and Thailand where the poor are "far poorer" than the poor in the U.S. and look how orderly and respectful they are. You leftists can't have it both ways either: arrest people for violating SIP rules but make excuses for certain groups to commit violent crimes freely. Tell me if you can't stop violent street crime, how can enforce a true hard lockdown?

Old 02-21-2021, 02:47 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Like Cuomo did in NY with the nursing homes?
Yes, theyre all liars with a political agenda, except Gavin Newsom. #4moreyears

Old 02-21-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I am a Libertarian son of nonwhite immigrants. I don't think it's economic poverty causing the crime but a culture that glorifies it. Look at countries like Vietnam and Thailand where the poor are "far poorer" than the poor in the U.S. and look how orderly and respectful they are. You leftists can't have it both ways either: arrest people for violating SIP rules but make excuses for certain groups to commit violent crimes freely. Tell me if you can't stop violent street crime, how can enforce a true hard lockdown?
When did you hear me say that those who commit violent crimes shouldn’t be arrested and prosecuted? You’re now making up incorrect things about me to fit your political agenda. And no, I’m not a leftist if you’re inferring I support violence.

If you’re really a libertarian, did you vote for Biden or any other Democrats in the most recent election? Asking because the Democrats are now the much more moderate party. I suppose the answer is no, so I stand by my assertion.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:14 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
When did you hear me say that those who commit violent crimes shouldn’t be arrested and prosecuted? You’re now making up incorrect things about me to fit your political agenda. And no, I’m not a leftist if you’re inferring I support violence.

If you’re really a libertarian, did you vote for Biden or any other Democrats in the most recent election? Asking because the Democrats are now the much more moderate party. I suppose the answer is no, so I stand by my assertion.
So your asking questions then answering your own question with your answer? That’s a new one

The opinion that you think dems are the moderate party is the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. Thanks for the laugh

Old 02-21-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So your asking questions then answering your own question with your answer? That’s a new one

The opinion that you think dems are the moderate party is the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. Thanks for the laugh
Look at how the parties stack up compared to the rest of the world then tell me that. The problem is that your baseline is incorrect due to far right media. The only people who think the Democrats are far left are those who subscribe to far right fascist views themselves.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:16 PM

34 posts, read 37,110 times
Quote:

Democrats/Biden have nothing in common with true libertarianism. The democrats have become authoritarian. True libertarians don't need or want a master telling them what to do.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenature View Post
Democrats/Biden have nothing in common with true libertarianism. The democrats have become authoritarian. True libertarians don't need or want a master telling them what to do.
Without a strong government, you have anarchy. The whole premise of self reliance is a misnomer. It sounds good in principle (and may work for you if you live completely off the grid), it doesn't fit well in a modern, sophisticated society.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:51 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Without a strong government, you have anarchy. The whole premise of self reliance is a misnomer. It sounds good in principle (and may work for you if you live completely off the grid), it doesn't fit well in a modern, sophisticated society.

Anarchy like those very leftists endorsed created during the BLM and Antifa riots all summer (the only large group activity that was exempt from the "no gathering" rule). What about that no police experiment in Seattle? In truly strong government authority countries (like Singapore or South Korea), protesters would have been lynched on the spot. You can't have it both ways.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Anarchy like those very leftists endorsed created during the BLM and Antifa riots all summer (the only large group activity that was exempt from the "no gathering" rule). What about that no police experiment in Seattle? In truly strong government authority countries (like Singapore or South Korea), protesters would have been lynched on the spot. You can't have it both ways.
Defund the police doesn't mean "dismantle the entire department", but it does make for some good talking points on far-right media. It means to revamp the departments to get rid of systemic racism. But, I suppose you don't care about this as it doesn't affect you.

If you want to take the anarchy route with BLM protesters, you can't ignore the Proud Boys who stormed the capitol and ended up killing several people (luckily it wasn't more). That seems to be more of a threat to our country at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies