Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 PM

10,241 posts, read 15,955,178 times

Advertisements

If the kid is in America he should fly an American flag. If he considers himself a Mexican before an American, he should go back to his country. Same thing for any person from any foreign country. I say this as the son of LEGAL immigrants and a patriotic American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If the kid is in America he should fly an American flag. If he considers himself a Mexican before an American, he should go back to his country. Same thing for any person from any foreign country. I say this as the son of LEGAL immigrants and a patriotic American.
ughhhhhhhhhhhh (slaps forehead.)

It was a MEXICAN holiday that is celebrated a lot in America, just like St. Patricks day is.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,981,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so lets say i take an IRISH FLAG to class on st. pattys day...does the teacher have the right to throw my flag in the trash? what if it was a confederate flag taken to school on some down south holiday? and the teacher threw it away as the rest of the class cheered? is that right? do you get it now? forget it was a mexico flag. get your emotions out of the way and think for a second...

i would hope the teacher would have enough respect for me and warn me about carrying a flag(as a disturbance) before taking such a drastic step.

you guys get too wrapped up in this mexico bashing that it makes you forfeit your own rights as a citizen.

no teacher should be able to take a students property like this. all my teacher friends warn their students about proper behaviour and WHEN protocol exists (such as in the case of cell phones) they will be confiscated because they are prohibited. I doubt there is a rule in the school against flags.

the Teacher was wrong.
the ACLU will prob win
but we we all lost here.
How about this?

Jimmy, Student: Mr. Smith, may I bring a Mexican flag to celebrate Cinco De Mayo? I won't bother anyone with it.

Mr. Smith, Teacher: Thank you for asking Jimmy. Since you asked nicely, yes you may.
OR
Mr. Smith, Teacher: Thanks for asking Jimmy. I don't like students bringing their own flags from home because it distracts everyone.

Of course, since manners have left the building, no child would think to do such a wussy thing.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,981,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
ughhhhhhhhhhhh (slaps forehead.)

It was a MEXICAN holiday that is celebrated a lot in America, just like St. Patricks day is.
The child is there to learn, not celebrate holidays.

Every kid doesn't bring in an Amerian flag on flag day.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,206,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I'll give you the Swastika flag as an international symbol of hate and genocide, but
Genocide also occured under the American flag in this country to Indians. The Swastika was a symbol of eternal life long before the Nazis started using it.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,800,850 times
Idaho student says teacher tossed his Mexican flag in trash

Well that was rather harsh and the teacher should apologize and get him a new flag.

After 42 years of watching my flag burned and stomped on by every malcontent on the planet, one attains a certain level of indifference. So this lad will survive.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,590,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Idaho student says teacher tossed his Mexican flag in trash

Well that was rather harsh and the teacher should apologize and get him a new flag.

After 42 years of watching my flag burned and stomped on by every malcontent on the planet, one attains a certain level of indifference. So this lad will survive.
No, the teacher deserves a pat on the back and a tip of my hat! The real winners are the ACLU and La Raza (Latino ACLU) who will have a field day with this incident, get the teacher fired and garner loads of free PR!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,073,844 times
This seems much ado about very little. The teacher screwed up. The principal should counsel him. The school should (apparently has) return the flag and apologize to the student. If it's a big deal around school it could be a great discussion topic for civics class: balancing an individuals right to free speech against the groups right to pursue an education without excessive disruption.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,415,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
This seems much ado about very little. The teacher screwed up. The principal should counsel him. The school should (apparently has) return the flag and apologize to the student. If it's a big deal around school it could be a great discussion topic for civics class: balancing an individuals right to free speech against the groups right to pursue an education without excessive disruption.
Agreed!

(wow )

Old 05-09-2008, 03:40 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,674,370 times
the mexican flag is AMERICAN!!!!!

NEWS FLASH:
AMERICA IS A CONTINENT!!!!!!!
the USA is a country and the USA has a flag.

the only Universal Symbol or "flag" of AMERICA is the VIRGIN OF GUADALUPE

but thats neither here nor there. you guys probably wnt get it.

trying to make some of you people understand the reall issue here is pretty diffficult. all you "citizens" are pretty quick to trample on other peoples rights when you dont agree. maybe when your kid is disrespected like that you will understand.

i see parallels between this issue and the issue of the student who wore a t-shirt to class that said
"Be happy, Not Gay"
he fought and fought to get it allowed and they allowed him.
Did he ask the teacher for permission? and im sure this caused more of a disturbance than a mex flag on cinco de drinko or an irish flag on st. pattys.

but guess what, this is the students right to express himself and his conservative beliefs.
the ACLU protected him. Im sure some of you even stand behind this kids ideals. i dont particularly like the message on that shirt, but this kid has the right to it.

now do you guys get it?

as for LA RAZA? the latino ACLU? please tell me who leads this organization/body/militia. who the hell believes that? i have never heard of such an organization. I get so tired of hearing "La raza" like its an actual entity! get real people.

and a take over/invasion? really. last i checked anglo's were still a large majority of the nation. Latinos make up about 14%(genorously). they aint tryin to do anything that the irish and italians and polish and anyone aint done in the past 100 years.

i thought [domain blocked due to spam] was bad...now i know why i stay out of these particular forums.

think about your RIGHTS fellow CITIZENS

get your emotions out the way... seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies