Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:48 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is dictated and cleaned up. But I do not get carried away. The meaning is clear.

Way back when I was a National Merit Semi Finalist. You?

I ended up an Engineering VP of a Fortune 50 Company. Have a few hundred patents - 28 in the US. You?
If this^^^ is what being part of the 1% gets you, I’m glad I missed that mark, lol.

No honors in school for me, no college degree, no patents... just a mediocre life of complacency.

Lest we all forget, you don’t have to be in the top 1%, or even the top 10% of your class to find success in life. It’s not that we shouldn’t care about students who aren’t higher achievers, but we need to stop pretending that all kids are capable of taking six AP classes as Juniors, or graduating from university at age 18. And if minority students don’t make that high level, it’s okay. It doesn’t mean they’ll be failures in life.

I’ve held a job in an artistic field that I absolutely loved. How many people can say they LOVE their job? We’re not rolling in money - in fact we’re hurting due to extended Covid shutdowns - but I have a great life. Four amazing kids, a caring husband, good health for all, volunteer work, coaching kids...

Not being in a gifted program isn’t the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 12:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Nope, it's not Kurt Vonnegut's short story.
Do I have my literary references wrong?

Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM

6,684 posts, read 2,981,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
If this^^^ is what being part of the 1% gets you, I’m glad I missed that mark, lol.

No honors in school for me, no college degree, no patents... just a mediocre life of complacency.

Lest we all forget, you don’t have to be in the top 1%, or even the top 10% of your class to find success in life. It’s not that we shouldn’t care about students who aren’t higher achievers, but we need to stop pretending that all kids are capable of taking six AP classes as Juniors, or graduating from university at age 18. And if minority students don’t make that high level, it’s okay. It doesn’t mean they’ll be failures in life.

I’ve held a job in an artistic field that I absolutely loved. How many people can say they LOVE their job? We’re not rolling in money - in fact we’re hurting due to extended Covid shutdowns - but I have a great life. Four amazing kids, a caring husband, good health for all, volunteer work, coaching kids...

Not being in a gifted program isn’t the end of the world.
I am not a 1%er either. average grades, graduated HS, Army, then a trade school(also Art related). Similar to you, wife, kid, home,..awesome neighborhood and school district. doing great. I am lucky enough to barely be interrupted by Covid as I can work from home.

But I still wouldn't think doing away with exams or aptitude standards based on some 'racist' notion.

Go ahead and lower them, my kid will stand out that much more. Employers will always find the better employee despite some piece of paper.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:01 PM

2,828 posts, read 826,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The left is trying to push anyone that rises down. I was distracted when I posted. If you're so smart as you brag you could've inferred that.
He's a leftie, that's all they can do is pick on people's mistakes.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Could have but I am a 1%. Suffering the unable is considered bad form. And yes I guessed what you meant. But why should I do that? Better to invite you to express your though in reasonable English.

Not really hard if you think before you post.
He said he was distracted or can't you read, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand what he said.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I was wondering myself what a non-Chinese Asian person had to do to get ahead in China. I imagine under the left's "antiracism" policy white and conservative Americans will end up something like the uyghurs.
I hope not.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Quote:
It is dictated and cleaned up. But I do not get carried away. The meaning is clear.

Way back when I was a National Merit Semi Finalist. You?

I ended up an Engineering VP of a Fortune 50 Company. Have a few hundred patents - 28 in the US. You?
A real mensch wouldn’t brag like that.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:15 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do I have my literary references wrong?
You got them right, but consequences for the situation we are talking about is more precisely described by Wells than Vonnegut.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:15 PM

6,684 posts, read 2,981,839 times
Quote:
I was wondering myself what a non-Chinese Asian person had to do to get ahead in China. I imagine under the left's "antiracism" policy white and conservative Americans will end up something like the uyghurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I hope not.
Locally? probably not much,. Especially if you don't speak it. English teacher?

The biggest opening would be to find a job in some International business company there. Trade,import/export.
They'll have a mix of non-Chinese that you can get into.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:17 PM

20,464 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Honors programs is probably a good place to draw the line on ethnic quotas. If students can't make the cut, then they need to work out how to bring them up to snuff rather than holding the top students back.
that isn't how the left does anything.

the mantra of the left is to punish the good for the sake of the bad. its always been that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies