Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 11:29 PM

9,890 posts, read 4,653,413 times

Advertisements

California will wind up with a 19 Billion tax surplus even with the virus. So much so they will have to give Californians a rebate.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cali...demic/2479807/

So while the state gorges on some of the highest tax rates in the nation businesse are leaving. Also notes that about 1% of the tax payers pay 50% of state income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 01:21 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
California will wind up with a 19 Billion tax surplus even with the virus. So much so they will have to give Californians a rebate.

So while the state gorges on some of the highest tax rates in the nation businesse are leaving. Also notes that about 1% of the tax payers pay 50% of state income taxes.

This is how it's supposed to be - startups come here to make a name for themselves, achieve their objectives, then leave and allow other startups to come in and take their spaces. They are not supposed to stay, clog up the place, drive COL through the roof, while leaving other states in the red like 3rd world countries.

This is healthy, it's how we spread wealth through the country instead having it concentrated only in costal cities. Now, those companies that left CA are mostly moving into other liberal areas but fine, baby step. I would rather they move to a conservative region and raise that area's income, education level, and quality of life.

Wait three years and the vacated office spaces will be filled with new businesses. Every time someone claims CA is going down, new businesses move in. This has always been the case for as long as I remember.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:51 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This is how it's supposed to be - startups come here to make a name for themselves, achieve their objectives, then leave and allow other startups to come in and take their spaces. They are not supposed to stay, clog up the place, drive COL through the roof, while leaving other states in the red like 3rd world countries.

This is healthy, it's how we spread wealth through the country instead having it concentrated only in costal cities. Now, those companies that left CA are mostly moving into other liberal areas but fine, baby step. I would rather they move to a conservative region and raise that area's income, education level, and quality of life.

Wait three years and the vacated office spaces will be filled with new businesses. Every time someone claims CA is going down, new businesses move in. This has always been the case for as long as I remember.

That's how it's supposed to be? ... the state government has collected $19B in taxes more than it needs - and that's is how it's supposed to be?

Is it me, or is your post as clueless as it appears?

What state in their right mind wants a healthy thriving business to leave? And what business wants to spend time and money to uproot its headquarters and move?

Wow....

Old 03-03-2021, 06:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,609 times
Well if they took that $19 Billion and chose to apply all of it directly to their debt, it would move their current debt from $573 Billion all the way down to $554 Billion. CA Debt Clock.

The worst thing they can do it use the surplus for more 'programs' but I'm sure they will.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Wha!?!? You want a successful startup to leave CA?

Is anyone else buying that story?

Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post

A $19B surplus on a $200B budget is less than 10%. How would you feel if your household budget only had a 10% surplus? Given California's propensity for natural disasters (wild fires, earthquakes, etc.), a 10% surplus is irresponsibly low. But, it's OK when liberals aren't prepared - they can always blame it on the nearest conservative using some sort of crazy mental gymnastics.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:25 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
The state of Ca. fosters the unhealthy environment !!! Its in everyone's interest to exit if possible !!!

Old 03-03-2021, 10:27 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times
exiting the soddom and gomorrah of the 21st century is the smartest thing anyone can possibly do at this point.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:02 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's how it's supposed to be? ... the state government has collected $19B in taxes more than it needs - and that's is how it's supposed to be?

Is it me, or is your post as clueless as it appears?

What state in their right mind wants a healthy thriving business to leave? And what business wants to spend time and money to uproot its headquarters and move?

Wow....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Wha!?!? You want a successful startup to leave CA?

Is anyone else buying that story?

Stop making up thesis I didn't make and then attacking that because it's easier for you to attack a phantom point than the one I actually made.

I've said no such thing that state wants businesses to leave. Of course they don't. Just like your apartment landlord doesn't want you to leave, or if you are a landlord, you want your tenants to live there forever paying rent every month. But it's not good if everyone wants to live in your apartment and only your apartment; then they find ways to squeeze as many bodies as they can into each bedroom - driving up prices and overcrowding the complex, while some other apartments a short distance away sat half empty. So it's healthy that some of DRob4JC Apartment's tenants move to other apartments - freeing up space for those dying to move in and spreading out the population across several apartments. Now, of course you want to hog as many tenants as you can, but this is not about you. What'd you say if you see 100,000 people trying to cram into DRob4JC Apartment with a capacity of 7,000 while Ottomobeale Apartment a block away is at 50% capacity? You'd say, "Guys, why don't you go live at Ottomobeale's?" right? Exactly.

Now moving can be a big hassle and costly - but it's healthy that some of DRob4JC Apartment's tenants say to themselves, "Geez, I think I'm ready to move on. Moving is a lot of work and money but Ottomobeale Apartment is cheaper and less crowded, I think it's a good idea for me to move there."

No business likes turnover, but turnover is a healthy part of the economy.

Do you get it now?

Fact is there are only a few places in the entire country that has the talent and infrastructure to nurture a unicorn business. When businesses stay in CA you end up with what we have now - CA being overwhelmingly rich and prosperous, overcrowded, expensive, with social problems; while the red states remain **** poor. This is not sustainable nor healthy.

Last edited by beb0p; 03-03-2021 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 11:05 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,551,421 times
They're leaving for the same reason companies leave the USA: there are cheaper places to do business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies