Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 08:28 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times

Advertisements

HMMMM???

Waiting for the lawsuit that the school issue him a diploma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 05:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
HMMMM???

Waiting for the lawsuit that the school issue him a diploma.
He's already transferred to another school, an is on an accelerated track, and he expects to graduate in 2023.

So, no lawsuit apparently.

I would still like to see those in charge of that school and others nearby who were just rubberstamping the students through get charged with something. Abuse of public funds, dereliction of duty, something.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:43 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He's already transferred to another school, an is on an accelerated track, and he expects to graduate in 2023.

So, no lawsuit apparently.

I would still like to see those in charge of that school and others nearby who were just rubberstamping the students through get charged with something. Abuse of public funds, dereliction of duty, something.
This I would like to see.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:37 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Reread my post:

What would make the Mom believe that the school wouldn't issue a him a high school diploma since they were already promoting him to higher level classes even when he failed the prerequisites?

The school had been signaling for 3.5 years that failing grades were not cause for having to repeat classes, being held back, or being demoted like he is now. The school was signaling that they were just nothing but low grades, not something that would prevent his graduation.

There are a lot of kids who earn low grades and parents accept it because they honestly think that's the best their kids can do. The tipping point in this case was the sudden demotion after 3.5 years when the school had been signaling the opposite (the kid would still progress) all that time.
I agree. So the mom doesn't check his report card. Maybe she's not the best mom she could be, or she believes that as long as he graduates it's good enough. It's not an unreasonable expectation that the school contact the parent if the child is not passing, and it's definitely expected that the school doesn't let him move up in grade if he fails the entire year.

In addition, why didn't they contact her about his absence? Do people here walk their kid to school and make sure they're in every class, or do they rely on the school to notify them of deviance?

Old 03-09-2021, 05:15 AM

59,130 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
I've seen it work very well if Section 8 renters are truly spread evenly and thin.

It's true, if you put up a huge Section 8 complex, it tends to drag down the adjoining blocks.

But when you sprinkle Section 8 rentals throughout an existing middle/lower middle class neighborhood, it works pretty well.

I remember specifically one family, after living in a middle class neighborhood for about 3 months, when I went to visit them they had bought a used lawnmower and were mowing the yard. Doesn't sound like much, but that sense of caring for the property is a BIG step up from where they were. They were assimilating into the neighborhood.
"I've seen it work very well if Section 8 renters are truly spread evenly and thin." NOT from any I have seen.

1 anecdotal story, is NOT the norm.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:19 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
I've seen it work very well if Section 8 renters are truly spread evenly and thin. .
Riiiiiight. Spread the "love" around, right?

After all, how dare those horrible, crime-free pasty white suburbs not be blessed with diversity and all the blessings it brings, right?

Old 03-10-2021, 09:45 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,557,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I agree. So the mom doesn't check his report card. Maybe she's not the best mom she could be, or she believes that as long as he graduates it's good enough. It's not an unreasonable expectation that the school contact the parent if the child is not passing, and it's definitely expected that the school doesn't let him move up in grade if he fails the entire year.

In addition, why didn't they contact her about his absence? Do people here walk their kid to school and make sure they're in every class, or do they rely on the school to notify them of deviance?
In a local news story on this, the below was indicated:

In a statement, Baltimore City Public Schools claims the district took the following steps regarding the child’s academic performance:

* In summer 2020, students at Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts received a letter explaining their academic status.

* Per Board Policy, teachers will provide students and parents with information about student achievement by regularly updating grades using Campus Portal. All families have access to this tool.

* In many cases, the school or teacher will notify the student of a potential course failure and allow work to be made up to support the student. Schools also provide parents the option for a conference following each report card.

* Anytime a student is absent from a class, the student's family receives an automated phone call at their listed number advising the missed time. If necessary, families may respond to the call by noting if the absence meets the criteria to be excused.

* School staff also attempted to contact the student's family. The school later mailed a letter and conducted a home visit. Ultimately, the student's parent visited the school and met with its leadership.

* The student's family has met with or talked recently with school and district level staff regarding the student's progress.

The mother denies any of this happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies