Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:36 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Bull.

As a parent I always wanted to see my kids report cards.
Since the school kept promoting him to higher level courses each year despite the failing grades, why wouldn't the Mom expect the school to issue him a high school diploma upon the completion of his 12th grade year, as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 01:51 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
I have to say I find it hard to believe the headline is actually true But assuming it is....

Did she ever attend a parent teacher conference or look at a report card. Not that it isn’t also the school’s fault for advancing him.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:56 AM

24,651 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
The parent is no bueno
The kid is a lazy dummy going to be a hobo
Don't worry, Democrats will make sure he gets his $15/hour job flipping burgers.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:03 AM

11,804 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Since the school kept promoting him to higher level courses each year despite the failing grades, why wouldn't the Mom expect the school to issue him a high school diploma upon the completion of his 12th grade year, as well?
Get real - do you have kids? A responsible parent would ask to see the report cards or call the school if they didn't receive it as they would want to know how good or bad their child was doing. Just being passed on to the next grade doesn't let the parent know how well or poorly that child is performing.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Because normal parents ask to see report cards BEFORE the end of the school year.

You know, it's called caring for your child.

All of us went to schools where we know other kids who had strict parents regarding academics. How? Because you could see the seriousness they took in their coursework and the disappointment they had if it was not an A.

My parents weren't strict but in order for me to continue playing sports, my grades had to be passing so there was no other option for me. The kid in the OP clearly didn't participate in any extracurricular activities.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:30 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Get real - do you have kids? A responsible parent would ask to see the report cards or call the school if they didn't receive it as they would want to know how good or bad their child was doing. Just being passed on to the next grade doesn't let the parent know how well or poorly that child is performing.
Reread my post:

Quote:
What would make the Mom believe that the school wouldn't issue a him a high school diploma since they were already promoting him to higher level classes even when he failed the prerequisites?

The school had been signaling for 3.5 years that failing grades were not cause for having to repeat classes, being held back, or being demoted like he is now. The school was signaling that they were just nothing but low grades, not something that would prevent his graduation.

There are a lot of kids who earn low grades and parents accept it because they honestly think that's the best their kids can do. The tipping point in this case was the sudden demotion after 3.5 years when the school had been signaling the opposite (the kid would still progress) all that time.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:14 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
Still, the best solution appears to be a multi-faceted approach that includes;

increase in the construction of dispersed affordable housing to break up the "critical mass" of poverty in the inner cities,

universal pre-K, Head Start for ages 4 to 6

re-introduction of vocational curriculum/training in schools for jobs such as plumbing, carpentry, auto mechanics, etc.
"increase in the construction of dispersed affordable housing to break up the "critical mass" of poverty in the inner cities,"

You must not be old enough to know history or seen it in person.

When public housing is inserted into an area, the area starts to deteriorate and then the decent people move out and MORE low income housing people move in. It is like locus traveling and destroying everything in path way.

And when they are now becomes inhabitable, they move on and the cycle continues.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:09 AM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
This travesty of learning is occurring even in New York City, which is not nearly as deranged as Baltimore. See "Remote" Zoom Learning - Drug Deals or Academics? Rap videos about drug deals are part of the Zoom education.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:

The school had been signaling for 3.5 years that failing grades were not cause for having to repeat classes, being held back, or being demoted like he is now. The school was signaling that they were just nothing but low grades, not something that would prevent his graduation.
Bingo. These schools are so bad, they have to just push the kids through then give them the bad news when it's time for graduation.

Try holding back failed kids and you're going to have some angry parents on your butt.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:16 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"increase in the construction of dispersed affordable housing to break up the "critical mass" of poverty in the inner cities,"

You must not be old enough to know history or seen it in person.

When public housing is inserted into an area, the area starts to deteriorate and then the decent people move out and MORE low income housing people move in. It is like locus traveling and destroying everything in path way.

And when they are now becomes inhabitable, they move on and the cycle continues.
I've seen it work very well if Section 8 renters are truly spread evenly and thin.

It's true, if you put up a huge Section 8 complex, it tends to drag down the adjoining blocks.

But when you sprinkle Section 8 rentals throughout an existing middle/lower middle class neighborhood, it works pretty well.

I remember specifically one family, after living in a middle class neighborhood for about 3 months, when I went to visit them they had bought a used lawnmower and were mowing the yard. Doesn't sound like much, but that sense of caring for the property is a BIG step up from where they were. They were assimilating into the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies