Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:32 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The school failed, in that they were perfectly happy to accept this level of achievement, and graduate him.
Or actually, to promote him successively to the next higher level of classes.

Quote:
Their failure wasn't that they didn't communicate with the parents about his lack of success and attendance; their failure was that was good enough for him, and his peers, and his predecessors to earn a diploma.

The school had no real reason to contact mom - there were no concerns. He was on the 4 year conveyor belt to get a diploma, as expected by the school, and the mom.
Exactly. See my comment, above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 11:35 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Don't they still mail report cards home?? My parents always knew how well or badly we were doing.
USPS mail? I'm still having an issue with the USPS because even though I have Informed Delivery, which lets me know what pieces of mail I'll get that day, the USPS has somehow lost several pieces of my mail that contain very important financial/tax documents.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:35 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
according to his mom, it's all the school's fault.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/projec...s-with-013-gpa

Their are alot at fault here. For one the school district is at fault, if not the school district than the school staff and the school is at fault. His GPA is 0.13 and he is in the middle of his class. That says that more than half the students are below c level grades. And that the school and school district is trying to socially promote.

Anotjer big problem is this family structure of this black kid. Even though I'm not African American. I grew up in a single mother headed household in the Bronx. my dad did have some involvement in my life, and I also had positive role-models. I was never arrested or spent time in prison or jail. I was able to finish high school, explore myself, go to college and graduate and end up with a decent paying job. Also teachers in my schools tried hard to generate students curiosity. Like when I was in the 6 grade. I discovered I was good at history and science. This teen from Baltimore has a poor family structure. How come his mom does not know about her son's grades. The mother must take ownership and how she helped fail her son.

One last thing is this. Even I'm not fond of woke education. It seems that society is preparing blacks for failures. You have these woke schools in middle to upper class white areas that teaches little to no math, no gym and no science because those ideas are based off of whiteness and European culture. And no one fails critical race theory class unless if one is a racist. But this black kid in Baltimore. Why don't three Baltimore schools teach black and brown stuff, make it easy for these kids which can help them graduate high school Like they do with these woke white schools?

Old 03-07-2021, 11:50 AM

8,236 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I went to school from 1980 to 1993. Middle school and high school report cards were mailed home. Elementary school cards were given to the students.
Even in high school they were handed out in homeroom. I didn't get one mailed until I was in college.

The only exception to that was the school I was thrown out of when I was 8. My father had been going off again the day and night before. He shot up the apartment and was talking about killing us. My mom took my brother and I out and the mother of a friend of mine took us in for the night. I wore my friend's clothes the next day to school, but I didn't have my books or homework because we didn't grab it going out the door. I explained it to my teacher and she falsely accused me of lying.

Not long after that he showed up at the school with his gun demanding I be handed over to him. The teacher took us to another classroom and we hid in the area where you hang the bags and jackets. I was hysterical and crying saying that he was going to kill me. The teacher didn't try to console me. Instead, she was telling me to shut up.

My father was arrested. I was tossed out of the school. It was said that I was endangering the school by attending. My father was ordered into counseling and I was forced to continue living with him. That was the closest I was to being rescued and the authorities left me to continue to live in terror. I received the consequences for what happened.

My mom received the report card in the mail and some of my things from my desk. Eight years old and I was expelled for the actions of someone else. At the new school I was labeled a "troublemaker" and teachers treated me like garbage the rest of my time in public school. It got even worse when I started growing a beard when I was ten/eleven years old and they thought it meant I was a lesbian. I was often beat and bullied, even in front of the teachers, and I was told by the teachers that I could stop it if I wanted to and ridiculed for complaining. I didn't even know what a lesbian was and had no idea what was going on until years later.

I went through all of that and never had another friend in school and I still managed to pass my classes. There's no excuse why this kid can't attempt to pass.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Their are alot at fault here. For one the school district is at fault, if not the school district than the school staff and the school is at fault. His GPA is 0.13 and he is in the middle of his class. That says that more than half the students are below c level grades. And that the school and school district is trying to socially promote.

Anotjer big problem is this family structure of this black kid. Even though I'm not African American. I grew up in a single mother headed household in the Bronx. my dad did have some involvement in my life, and I also had positive role-models. I was never arrested or spent time in prison or jail. I was able to finish high school, explore myself, go to college and graduate and end up with a decent paying job. Also teachers in my schools tried hard to generate students curiosity. Like when I was in the 6 grade. I discovered I was good at history and science. This teen from Baltimore has a poor family structure. How come his mom does not know about her son's grades. The mother must take ownership and how she helped fail her son.

One last thing is this. Even I'm not fond of woke education. It seems that society is preparing blacks for failures. You have these woke schools in middle to upper class white areas that teaches little to no math, no gym and no science because those ideas are based off of whiteness and European culture. And no one fails critical race theory class unless if one is a racist. But this black kid in Baltimore. Why don't three Baltimore schools teach black and brown stuff, make it easy for these kids which can help them graduate high school Like they do with these woke white schools?
It's much worse than that. A 2.0 is a C average.

Half the class is thoroughly in F territory. And doubtless it's more than half the class - how far up the ladder do you have to go, with ranked students, until you reach someone with a 2.0 (C) average?

There's no evidence there are any students at all in the class that have as high as a C average, since a .13 puts him squarely in the middle.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:02 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
My mom received the report card in the mail and some of my things from my desk. Eight years old and I was expelled for the actions of someone else.
What a story. All I can say is "wow."

There are two episodes when I was in 10th grade that pale by comparison but my (at that point) soon-to-die father played a starring role.

History/Social Studies teacher - I liked history in high school. I tried out for the History AP class. Didn't make it. I attended high school in a district that strongly encourage honors courses and AP credit, graduating in 1975. The "fireworks" though go back to my freshman year, Academic 1971-2 when A teacher we'll call "Mrs. O" was my homeroom teacher. Luck of the draw and she was my European History teach in Academic Year 1972-3. Those "fireworks" were in November 1972. At the beginning of my freshman year.September 1971, my father had a major operation for cancer which later turned out to be unsuccessful. I had major social and adjustment problems that particular year.

Fast forward to sophomore year, 1972-3. That year I was far better adjusted socially. In fact, Mrs. O remarked on that to my band teacher. Notwithstanding her being impressed, when she met my mother and (soon to be deceased) natural father at parent-teacher night that November, the meeting did not go well. In fact, from what I heard later they nearly came to blows, though my father was by nature a peaceful, accomplished professional. In April 1973 I sat for a written exam to get into AP History. Almost alone among the people who sat for the test, I was not admitted to the AP courses.

Spring 1975 was thus a leisurely semester. My mother suggested that I take the AP American History exam. I asked "why waste the money" on the test, since I was not in the course. She said "just take it." I found the test almost ridiculously easy.

After graduation, that summer, when I returned to my local town for a summer band concert, Mr. R, the department chair, pulled me aside and said he needed to talk to me. That was strange since I already held my diploma. He said "I wanted you to know, you got a '5' (a perfect score) on the AP exam, but please don't make too big a deal of it." I told my mother the good news along with the strange request "not to make too big a deal of it." My mother told me about Mrs. O's hoedown with my father, and thought he didn't want a story about the obvious discrimination to appear in the local paper. In any event I had no intention of spreading ill will in my hometown as I was leaving for college. That turned out to be a wise decision.

English teacher - Again the "scenery" was 9th grade. My 9th Grade English teacher dinged my grade from an A+ to an A because of one unexcused absence. The absence was caused because we were flying to what turned out to be our last family vacation, in February 1972 after my Dad's first operation but before he died. The teacher and I did not get along. Fast forward to December 1972. "Mr. R", referred to above, the eventual History Department chair wanted to see me. My mother had told him, at an adult education evening course, that my Dad had not long for this world and the teacher wanted to know if he could help. When I was waiting to see him, the 9th Grade English teacher said "I see, Jim, you're having problems again." I said, "yeah, my father's not well." At that point I hadn't been told that it was terminal even though I had pretty much figured it out. See When Should a Parent Tell Their Offspring That Other Parent is Fatally Ill? The English teacher said "yeah, that's a real problem." She never apologized.

In my cases of course my father did nothing wrong. His assertive manner with the school, operating as my advocate, did ruffle some feathers.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:52 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Kid has all the making of being a true Democrat in the House of Representatives.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:55 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
related-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...r-shutdown.amp

Old 03-07-2021, 07:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Interesting. It's good the Governor is involved.

Dismayed that someone later in the article stated that the schools are underfunded - they aren't. They are funded at the level per student that very successful school districts are funded. This isn't about money. This is about expectations of students, and communicating clearly with parents that students aren't meeting standards. And finally, frankly, some students who are incapable of achieving state academic standards, for a variety of reasons.

This problem is not going to be quick to solve. This isn't just Augusta Fells - it's the other high schools in Baltimore also, except 2. And they have a district full of students who have progressed through the schools K-11 who aren't prepared academically, but they've been passed on coming up through the pipe.

On the other hand, this Fox story has inaccuracies - this boy did NOT graduate yet, (his graduation was supposed to be this June) nor was he in the top half of his class.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:32 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
She thought everything was fine because the school kept promoting him to successively higher level classes each year. From Algebra I to Algebra II, from Spanish I to Spanish II, etc. But in reality, he had failed all but 3 of the classes he'd taken over the past 3.5 years. The school definitely screwed up.
Bull.

As a parent I always wanted to see my kids report cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies