Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 11:14 PM

8,252 posts, read 3,503,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Did you miss the equivalent of an entire year of high school in student absences? That doesn’t seem possible anywhere else that I’ve ever heard of.

There is no way a parent would not be taken to court and fined if their student missed that much school here. And despite complaints about it being unfair to poor people I fully support this policy. They can spread the fine out over time to make it more manageable, but there must be some accountability for parents. Otherwise you end up with students missing school too much to even learn.

If they were truly sickly like you said they would be required to have doctor care and possibly do the online curriculum. That was pre-Covid. I’d assume everyone with chronic illness would have to do virtual learning today now that they’re set up for it.

They’re going to take advantage of that virtual learning a lot now. Before our ice storm a couple of weeks ago it was predicted to be a couple of days (ha!) so they announced that the kids would have asynchronous learning Monday and Tuesday.

We were joking at work that Friday that the kids would never get another bad weather day off because of the virtual learning set up now. Boy were we wrong.
Not quite a whole year, no. There was no internet back then. I wasn't trying to say that this kid was sick. I was just saying that some people have legit reasons to miss a lot of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 04:45 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Not quite a whole year, no. There was no internet back then. I wasn't trying to say that this kid was sick. I was just saying that some people have legit reasons to miss a lot of school.
That much though? What was he doing on his absent days? And when he was in school did he sleep in his chair in class?

In 9th Grade I once missed one day because we were going on vacation and on President's Day weekend we couldn't get a Saturday flight. My English teacher (who proved to be a witch) dinged my grade from an A+ to an A.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:59 AM

10,034 posts, read 9,516,367 times
Okay let’s see, he was late or absent 272 times in three years and she says that he did t fail but the school failed. She is partly right. The school system is failing in part due to parents not becoming involved in the education of their children. So yes, the school is at fault, but the majority of the blame goes to the parent and the child.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That much though? What was he doing on his absent days? And when he was in school did he sleep in his chair in class?

In 9th Grade I once missed one day because we were going on vacation and on President's Day weekend we couldn't get a Saturday flight. My English teacher (who proved to be a witch) dinged my grade from an A+ to an A.
Huh? I never said that this kid had a legit reason.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:07 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,652 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Okay let’s see, he was late or absent 272 times in three years and she says that he did t fail but the school failed. She is partly right. The school system is failing in part due to parents not becoming involved in the education of their children. So yes, the school is at fault, but the majority of the blame goes to the parent and the child.
The school failed, in that they were perfectly happy to accept this level of achievement, and graduate him.

Their failure wasn't that they didn't communicate with the parents about his lack of success and attendance; their failure was that was good enough for him, and his peers, and his predecessors to earn a diploma.

The school had no real reason to contact mom - there were no concerns. He was on the 4 year conveyor belt to get a diploma, as expected by the school, and the mom.

And I'm still hoping for criminal charges against the admin for doing this. Standing by, doing nothing to ensure the students coming up in that district got an education.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:32 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,222,437 times
He didn't want to be there, wasn't interested in learning, and the school was happy to oblige. And he certainly isn't unique. Write him off and move on - the rest of the world has.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:36 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,959,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
She thought everything was fine because the school kept promoting him to successively higher level classes each year. From Algebra I to Algebra II, from Spanish I to Spanish II, etc. But in reality, he had failed all but 3 of the classes he'd taken over the past 3.5 years. The school definitely screwed up.
Don't they still mail report cards home?? My parents always knew how well or badly we were doing.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Don't they still mail report cards home?? My parents always knew how well or badly we were doing.
I have never seen a mailed report card. When I was in school I was handed the report card. My daughter was sent home with hers.

This woman has to be a very lousy parent to go that long without knowing.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:10 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,959,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I have never seen a mailed report card. When I was in school I was handed the report card. My daughter was sent home with hers.

This woman has to be a very lousy parent to go that long without knowing.
I went to school from 1980 to 1993. Middle school and high school report cards were mailed home. Elementary school cards were given to the students.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:21 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,242,019 times
Until Covid, our students were handed report cards.

In parent conferences at the end of the year for failing students, I routinely asked parents if they got the three progress reports and term report card that I sent home each term. When they replied that they had not, I usually told them that there was not much that I could do. They didn't have much to say at that point.

I teach students who are intending on going to college where there will be no one to "stay on them." It is extremely important for students to learn self-management before they sign their student loan forms and start incurring a balance. There are times that I advise parents not to stay on their kids so that they can learn personal responsibility. Better to learn about failure in a high school French class than to flunk out of college with a 1.2 GPA and thousands of dollars in loans with no degree to get the job to pay it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies