Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 10:27 AM

89,216 posts, read 44,965,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
She was not part of the 2017 Tax Reform Act that didn't suddenly disappear after 2017, republican congress and president at that time. The year 2020 is not a good measurement of anything because of the pandemic but that is why giving away money when we had a great economy in 2017 was a terrible idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and there is the difference in philosophy in stark contrast.

I don't know how Independents break down, but the Goodnight Dems of the world believe taking less of someone's money = giving them money, as if all the money is the government's to decide who gets what.

The Republicans of the world see that it is their money, given away to a government that finds more ways to spend it than intended, and with an ever increasing appetite.

For example:

Why did we need to commit $1.5MM of Federal money for every public school campus in the land because of Covid, when some schools have operated 2020-2021 calendar in a regular fashion?
Spot on in calling out the stark contrast in the philosophy of Dems and Republicans! Why on earth do Democrats automatically assume that the government owns everyone's income, and you have no right to keep your own money, the fruits of your own labor? Are they still that hardup that their beloved slavery ended in the US in the 1860s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 10:31 AM

20,889 posts, read 9,585,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Only losers who are clueless about economics cherry pick a few years as a sample. Obama had eight years with a pathetic average GDP growth rate of 1.8% yet you leave that out.
Wow, that went completely over your head. My post was about the performance of the economy after the last tax hike to be as big as the one Biden is proposing. Notice that the title of the thread says "Since 1993." Last time I looked, Obama wasn't president in 1993.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,724,668 times
Quote:
and there is the difference in philosophy in stark contrast.

I don't know how Independents break down, but the Goodnight Dems of the world believe taking less of someone's money = giving them money, as if all the money is the government's to decide who gets what.

The Republicans of the world see that it is their money, given away to a government that finds more ways to spend it than intended, and with an ever increasing appetite.

For example:

Why did we need to commit $1.5MM of Federal money for every public school campus in the land because of Covid, when some schools have operated 2020-2021 calendar in a regular fashion?
Thanks for stating this so clearly. The government is not entitled to people's money. Why so many here believe that a tax cut is giving someone money is completely bizarre.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:16 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,248,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, income taxes. A business must maintain a certain Gross Margin to survive. Anything that rasies costs, higher labor, energy costs, insurance, other OpEx, etc erodes that gross margin. Then there is competition. How are you going to compete against states and countries with lower tax burdens? Yes, any lower costs, including lower tax burden, MAY lower prices. It depends on the MARKET and margins. So yes it is intertwined.
absolutely, most of which I touched on.

We don't compete against China based on corporate income tax. And we won't compete with them where we lose out - wages/cost of production. Right?

This is what we're talking about though, yes? Even though it's written much like a US Media piece (ie, anti-corporate)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ance-1.4101815

Old 03-16-2021, 11:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,414,616 times
Quote:
Well, I "run a company" right now . And have a decade of experience doing commercial banking for small-medium (up to $100MM in sales) companies. And one degree in econ and another in finance.

Would love to discuss how the issues are intertwined. Maybe we're thinking different issues.

I thought the issue was "you shouldn't raise the corporate income tax rate because they just charge that to their consumers." If so, I'd say it's pretty basic logic that the converse should also be true - if raising it = higher cost to consumer, then lowering it should be lower cost to consumer. But it's not.

We're not talking about sales taxes. We're talking income taxes, right?
Couldn't rep you again, yet, Bo.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:20 AM

34,258 posts, read 18,631,541 times
Quote:
absolutely, most of which I touched on.

We don't compete against China based on corporate income tax. And we won't compete with them where we lose out - wages/cost of production. Right?

This is what we're talking about though, yes? Even though it's written much like a US Media piece (ie, anti-corporate)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...ance-1.4101815
We compete with China and everyone else on TOTAL cost structure including.

Labor
Energy
Regulatory Compliance
Taxes
Insurance
Real Estate costs
And all the other variable OpEx

Old 03-16-2021, 11:21 AM

38,043 posts, read 22,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well you knew it was coming, tax and spend liberal democrats can't help themselves. Someone has to pay for all the spending Joe Biden, Pelosi and Schumer have planned.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-economic-plan
Anyone with a brain knew he was going to propose this. As if it matters what the hell the federal tax revenue is.

Biden's going to allow Congress to go into engage in endless deficits anyway, spending more than we take in. Income tax revenue is irrelevant to what congress spends.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:31 PM

981 posts, read 902,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Right. I'm sure the rise of the internet had nothing to do with the boom.

What are the 2020's equivalent to the internet to overshadow tax hikes?
So so true. Those years were the .com boom.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Hobo Joe Biden. The confused derelict that looks like he should be riding in box cars or panhandling in front of a homeless shelter, that's the guy we're pretending won the election. He's the idiot we're supposed to believe has plans to protect the country and fix all the damage the deep state has done. yeah, right.
Omg he is such a boxcar willie. i knew he reminded of someone and i couldn't think of who. now i can at least have a little laugh while he digs his hands all the way to the bottom of my pocketbook.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Obama pretty much carried on the same tax policies of Bush other than some minor increases. We need to address the deficit somehow and as much as the Tea Party would leave you to believe it an not be done with spending cuts alone. The deficit isn't going to magically dissappear.
Hahahhaha.Ha! I love how in these tax plans they message the impact to the middle class by not telling the full story. Why don't you ask the middle class people how much Obamacare cost them in out of pocket healthcare costs? My sister's family makes about $150k per year and live in Massachusetts. Company health plan was nuked with ACA now paying $875 per month for family plan with a $4750 deductible. And two kids in college, very little financial aid. This was a huge negative impact on them financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies