Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2021, 04:35 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I know your being sarcastic but this made me laugh, because no normal person acts this way.

Does anyone think the defense is doing a good job presenting reasonable doubt?
If Dr. Fowler had been the ME, we wouldn't be here at all, the police officers involved would not have been even charged with any crimes.

A Medical Examiner's responsibility is to opine based on reasonable medical & professional standards as to what caused George Floyd's death, not to cover up for police officers’ actions.

But for the volitional actions of the police officers, George Floyd would be alive.

Dr. Fowler is being sued by the family of one of his previous victims, for knowingly & intentionally misrepresenting his death as an accident.

The time has come to examine the legal principle of 'qualified immunity' for police officers; it's not the same thing as absolute immunity.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:45 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigeekguest View Post
if dr. Fowler had been the me, we wouldn't be here at all, the police officers involved would not have been even charged with any crimes.

A medical examiner's responsibility is to opine based on reasonable medical & professional standards as to what caused george floyd's death, not to cover up for police officers’ actions.

But for the volitional actions of the police officers, george floyd would be alive.

Dr. Fowler is being sued by the family of one of his previous victims, for knowingly & intentionally misrepresenting his death as an accident.

The time has come to examine the legal principle of 'qualified immunity' for police officers; it's not the same thing as absolute immunity

THIS!!!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 04-15-2021 at 05:04 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
A few thoughts pertaining to today's testimony with the forensic pathologist. He was very thorough in describing the role of the heart, breathing of a healthy individual and someone who would be unhealthy.

When answering the question of cause of death he stated: undetermined because of several factors; George Floyd's enlarged heart, his arteries in the heart were 90% blocked, he had both meth and fentanyl in his body which negatively affected his health, then mentions a tumor in the abdomen, carbon monoxide fumes and potential homicide from the stress of restraint.

All of that seemed to be an honest assessment of what George Floyd experienced, however the fact that the forensic pathologist stated (the stress of the restraint - as homicide) couldn't that work against the defense? This was an expert witness for the defense, but it seemed to help the prosecution with that statement, as a potential factor in determining cause of death.

Not sure who cross examined on the prosecution side, but he was really talking down to this forensic pathologist - that was unnecessary, just ask the questions.
A death certificate, autopsy report, & expert testimony from medical folks, is supporting evidence. It's not the only evidence being examined in the current case.

There are multiple videos from multiple persons from multiple angles documenting the current case, & included as supporting evidence.

In this case we have both.

Consider the following:

Quote:
Patient concerns:
In this report, we are describing one case of adult who was found positioned in a way that led to eventual asphyxiation.

Diagnoses:
The final diagnosis of positional asphyxia was determined after the autopsy.

Positional asphyxia is a rare cause of sudden death and a difficult diagnosis, based mostly on the circumstances of the incident, along with particular external and internal findings, frequent in asphyxia (signs of sudden death).

Patient concerns:
In this report, we are describing one case of adult who was found positioned in a way that led to eventual asphyxiation.

Diagnoses:
The final diagnosis of positional asphyxia was determined after the autopsy.

Interventions:
In a head-down position, gravitation and mechanical forces lead to an increased pressure on the diaphragm from the weight of the abdominal organs. Abdominal breathing, and later, chest breathing were hindered by the raised diaphragm and the difference between abdominal and breathing pressures.

Outcomes:
It is known that death from positional asphyxia can emerge in several ways, such as the external breathing suppression when the victim‘s torso is compressed or deformed.

Lessons:
Therefore, the current criteria for positional asphyxia are based on the obstruction of normal gas exchange caused by the body position, the impossibility to move to another position, and the exclusion of other causes of death. The forensic medical examination must also be started at the scene of the incident.
Sudden deaths from positional asphyxia

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6023692/

Old 04-15-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I certainly don't think so, but.........

If the last 5 years have taught me anything, it is to not be astonished at what some people want desperately to believe and therefore will. Science, evidence, facts, shared truth & empirical knowledge from long respected & highly regarded institutions and one's own eyes and ears be damned.

It will take only one juror following the defense down any one of their twisty, foggy, loony rabbit holes, won't it? To acquit? Look how many folks on this little forum have gotten trapped in some of them.

Reasonable?
If it comes down to one juror, the Judge will declare a mistrial. Personally, I think the Judge here is fair & reasonable; he will encourage the jurors to come to a unanimous decision.

If the jurors cannot come to a unanimous decision after a reasonable attempt at doing so, the Judge will declare a mistrial, & the process will begin again.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:09 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
If it comes down to one juror, the Judge will declare a mistrial. Personally, I think the Judge here is fair & reasonable; he will encourage the jurors to come to a unanimous decision.

If the jurors cannot come to a unanimous decision after a reasonable attempt at doing so, the Judge will declare a mistrial, & the process will begin again.
Oh Ok...got it. I understand. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2021, 06:11 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
If Dr. Fowler had been the ME, we wouldn't be here at all, the police officers involved would not have been even charged with any crimes.
Dr. Baker’s testimony isn’t a whole lot different than Fowler’s. Both say heart failure is the primary cause, not asphyxiation. The prosecution has had to bring in their own experts to counteract the testimony of these two medical examiners.

Since Baker actually performed the autopsy and directly said the death was not due to asphyxiation, he’s probably the biggest detriment to the prosecution’s case.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Dr. Baker’s testimony isn’t a whole lot different than Fowler’s. Both say heart failure is the primary cause, not asphyxiation. The prosecution has had to bring in their own experts to counteract the testimony of these two medical examiners.

Since Baker actually performed the autopsy and directly said the death was not due to asphyxiation, he’s probably the biggest detriment to the prosecution’s case.
Dr. Baker & Dr. Fowler, when questioned re: Derek Chauvin’s actions on George Floyd’s breathing, both deferred to asking an expert on the respiratory system.

I think it very likely that the jurors will ask to hear Dr. Tobin's testimony again when they are deliberating.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:08 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
At the time that Floyd began to struggle for breath, when he said "I can't breathe", he was immobilized by the police; he was prone, his hands handcuffed behind his back. Putting a knee on his neck was not necessary to keep him from fleeing the police; Floyd would not have been able to jump up from that position. Chauvin could have put his knee across Floyd's lower legs and Floyd would still have been able to breathe, but would not have been able to get up and run. They could have tied up his lower legs and loaded him into the police car; and Floyd would have continued to be able to breathe.

Leaning a knee onto the neck of a man whose hands are handcuffed behind his back and is lying down is not the only option to keep that man from fleeing custody. And more attention should have been paid to the fact that Floyd's voice was becoming raspy the longer that Chauvin leaned his knee onto Floyd's neck, not to mention the fact that Floyd then stopped breathing.

Combat against police officers is not a right; but Floyd was not hurting anyone; and was immobilized, at the time Chauvin slowly killed him by leaning his knee into Floyd's neck. Killing a suspect who is in custody (on suspicion of passing $20 in counterfeit) is not a right either.
I shouldn't be shocked members of society and media desire to play tic for tac regarding a man affixed to the pavement via a police officer's knee to the larynx.

Perhaps George possessed fentyl in his system and someone began to choke him with their hands and death ensued, would we consider his unjust death an overdose?

I'm not debating the chemical substance within his bloodstream we must focus on the culprit (police officer's knee to the neck).

Old 04-15-2021, 07:12 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnet View Post
Thank you for drawing attention to the fact that two of the four officers at the scene (Kueng and Lane) were raw rookies, and therefore lacking in experience and knowledge. I think that added to the complications that Chauvin had to deal with.
They knew what should have been done and wasn't.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:33 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
I was just wondering. Hey conservatives who are rooting for Chauvin. Quick question for you. Why was it necessary for Chauvin to have his knee on Floyd's neck for 3 minutes after they confirmed no pulse was found?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies