Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 01:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Fine. However, there is a trial in progress.

The problem is the narrative (Chauvin deliberately murdered Floyd) has already been set in stone by many.

If the jury comes back with a verdict which mob rule doesn't agree... expect massive rioting and looting.
What was the justification for cuffing him over $20

Old 04-03-2021, 01:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I agree. George Floyd was at the steering wheel of a car and would have been required to produce a driver's license. The officers could have cited him. The store had the $20 bill so the evidence was available. At a hearing, the court could have demanded where he got the bill, if counterfeit the counterfeiter may have been identified.

I think Chauvin had a macho mindset.
they knew who he was.

They could have mailed the citation.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:36 PM

929 posts, read 304,582 times
Isn’t DUI a crime? He was behind the wheel of a car.

The blood tests indicate a criminal level of drugs in his system. Anyone I know arrested for suspicion of DUI is cuffed.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:37 PM

728 posts, read 303,437 times
Quote:
I'm not sure store and property owners are going to ignore what happened last summer. If the police are going to stand down when the chaos starts expect people to start defending their property.

And that's when things get really interesting.

I am not betting on or even wishing for that. Property owners are folks like you and I who are invested in an ordered society to live in and raise our families in safety. Consequently, we are by nature not violent and incapable of even infringing on our neighbors' privacy or go knocking on their doors. Most of us are incapable of defending our property or our lives when set upon by a mob. We are just not wired that way all because we have become dependent on the police to enforce order. If the chaos starts, we will be the victims just like those Christians on their knees praying in the Colosseum when they released the lions.

This is why we are on the side of the cops and the other side wanting Chauvin punished is on the side of the lions.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:39 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
A conviction on 1st degree murder at the Federal level would rightly be seen as an egregious miscarriage of justice and hold the US up to ridicule.
There would be an appeal and it would drop to manslaughter. I don't see murder though, because he did not desire the death of Mr. Floyd. He had some reasons to forcibly restrain him, but this was way beyond necessary.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:47 PM

13,774 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Minneapolis police officers responded to a call from a store clerk who claimed Floyd had paid for cigarettes with a counterfeit $20 bill. The police report states Mr. Floyd appeared to be under the influence and was order to step away from his car. After he exited his car Floyd refused to comply with officers request at which point he was cuffed.

Again I'm not suggesting Chauvin's use of force after Floyd was handcuffed/on the ground was justified. However, there's no question Floyd refused to comply with officers after he got out of his car.

Powerful Evidence That George Floyd Resisted Arrest
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...sisted-arrest/

Old 04-03-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:

You are changing the narrative. It isn't over $20 which is a big deal to Cup Foods who also has to deal with shoplifting just to eke out a living. It was also about passing counterfeit money which is a serious federal crime. Floyd didn't print the money himself. He could be part of an outfit distributing millions around the country.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:51 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
George Floyd passed a $20 Bill which MAY HAVE BEEN counterfeit. That is why he was murdered. Chauvin had dealings with Floyd before. They could have given him a citation and waited for a hearing. Why was he even handcuffed?
You forget Floyd was also high on drugs and acting as such? The store employee reported it was a fake bill, and Floyd refused to return the cigarettes. Floyd was in a car when the cop got there.

Instead of asking why the cop did this or that, how about ask why Floyd did what he did?

Old 04-03-2021, 01:53 PM

13,774 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
I am not betting on or even wishing for that. Property owners are folks like you and I who are invested in an ordered society to live in and raise our families in safety. Consequently, we are by nature not violent and incapable of even infringing on our neighbors' privacy or go knocking on their doors. Most of us are incapable of defending our property or our lives when set upon by a mob. We are just not wired that way all because we have become dependent on the police to enforce order. If the chaos starts, we will be the victims just like those Christians on their knees praying in the Colosseum when they released the lions.

This is why we are on the side of the cops and the other side wanting Chauvin punished is on the side of the lions.

True and it certainly won't be all or even a majority.

However, I have no doubt many owner aren't going to let what happened last summer happen again.

And once the shootings starts it's going to be difficult to hold property owners responsible for defending what is theirs.

Old 04-03-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
True and it certainly won't be all or even a majority.

However, I have no doubt many owner aren't going to let what happened last summer happen again.

And once the shootings starts it's going to be difficult to hold property owners responsible for defending what is theirs.

Property owners who let out to bigger stores will hire security guards. What can they do in a riot? They are not military contractors in foreign lands and have authorized rules of engagement to shoot and kill. Who is going to investigate excessive use of force in Syria or Afghanistan? The smaller stores and small businesses would rather board up, remove merchandize, leave and hope for the best. It's not the wild west where they have to fight for their lives when their covered wagons are surrounded. There is no US Calvary riding in for the rescue. This is why the rioting and burning by the savages will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies