Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 12:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
George Floyd passed a $20 Bill which MAY HAVE BEEN counterfeit. That is why he was murdered. Chauvin had dealings with Floyd before. They could have given him a citation and waited for a hearing. Why was he even handcuffed?
I agree. George Floyd was at the steering wheel of a car and would have been required to produce a driver's license. The officers could have cited him. The store had the $20 bill so the evidence was available. At a hearing, the court could have demanded where he got the bill, if counterfeit the counterfeiter may have been identified.

I think Chauvin had a macho mindset.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:07 PM

728 posts, read 303,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yes excessive force was used. The knee on the neck is 5 minutes longer then necessary: ergo excessive.
His weapon of choice, his body weight.
During the hold phase , the officers are trained to do cpr. Each one made a conscious decision to deny the detained that service. No pulse, usually is a code 3.
The milling of citizens willing to stand on the corner and behave with passion and non threatening to the officers, . No way do I see any of them heaving bottles or creating an escalation of threat. They used their 1st amendment right, free speech. There is a saying 'silence breeds consent'. These by standers chose to use their voice so that they did not come off as passive or consenting to the officers actions.
I appauld those that took video. It had to be difficult filming knowing what was being endured by Mr.Floyd.
And yes I suffer from COPD. When my oximeter has me below 85, I can struggle with breathing and being coherent. Its like a bear hug that won't stop. Unfortunately for Floyd that bear on top of him did him in.

Empathy with others suffering your health condition is not a bad thing. The world out there is a bad place for people like Floyd and for cops who have to deal with him. What happened to Floyd was unfortunate. Don't pin it all on cops. Doing so doesn't make you a good person.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I agree. George Floyd was at the steering wheel of a car and would have been required to produce a driver's license. The officers could have cited him. The store had the $20 bill so the evidence was available. At a hearing, the court could have demanded where he got the bill, if counterfeit the counterfeiter may have been identified.

I think Chauvin had a macho mindset.

Stop putting the blame on Chauvin. It doesn't make you a better person.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:24 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
On a side note, there has been no production into evidence of this alledged counterfeit bill. That kid who claimed it was counterfeit is no expert on counterfeit money. The only way he would have known is with the specialized markers used to identify the paper or the ink. He had neither. That kid is young and riddled with guilt. And that guilt is more about his false report then it is about the death of Floyd.
If you want to know where this all could have been deterred. Start with a teen making an assumption and then seeing it spin way out of control.

On another side note: I've decided chauvins lawyer must be awesome. Why? Because I absolutely detest his methods of over generalizing and constant speculating. I'd be that witness that says: that question is not relevant to these specific actions or the circumstances.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
George Floyd passed a $20 Bill which MAY HAVE BEEN counterfeit. That is why he was murdered. Chauvin had dealings with Floyd before. They could have given him a citation and waited for a hearing. Why was he even handcuffed?

He was handcuffed by that rookie cop Lane before he called for backup from Chauvin who arrived later to help Lane and his colleague to restrain Floyd.

Floyd was not murdered. He was in deep trouble for passing counterfeit money. It's a federal crime, a felony that can land him in jail for up to 20 years and a fine. It's not a small matter that a cop can give you a citation and send you on your way. Floyd had gone to jail eight times for previous offenses. No wonder he was hyperventilating and had difficulty breathing. He was in a bad place. Felons like Floyd would rather die than go back to jail. Cops are also in a bad place when they have to deal with felons who are likely to resist arrest and shoot to kill. Cops are not felons. They have families and so much to lose in enforcing the law so that you can live in safety. Think about that.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:37 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Stop putting the blame on Chauvin. It doesn't make you a better person.
Ignoring overreach and excessive police force doesn’t make you a better person.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
Quote:
I though I read that they both worked at the same place as bouncers ...at one time .

Old 04-03-2021, 12:50 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I certainly agree that people like this should not be police officers. Actions are seemingly intentional. I think which of the charges the Jury ultimately finds him guilty of rests on whether or not the Jury determines intent.

As of today, there are at two senior officers (today was a Homicide officer) that both testified that the use of force was unnecessary.

I personally don't think he is going to walk. But which charges ultimately guilty of is really going to rest on the case yet to be presented by the defense team.
I think you're exactly right. Going into this week, I thought this could go either way, but that was before I saw the testimony they had lined up. After this week's evidence, I don't see any way he walks away from the manslaughter. I still think it may be a stretch to get 12 Minnesotans to come back with "guilty" on the 2nd degree murder for a police officer, but at this point I think the defense is going to have to bring their "A" game to beat the 3rd degree murder charge. There's easily enough evidence to support it; it's just a question of whether the defense can undermine that evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am really offended by the title of this thread (combined with the fact it's a Sticky, meaning someone in authority thinks it's okay to smear someone like that and put it at the top of the board).
This board doesn't even bother trying anymore to pretend they're not biased toward the Breitbart end of the spectrum. If you start out a thread presenting a controversial and unsupported opinion as established fact, it's what I would call a "troll thread" - intended to inspire controversy, rather than reasoned discussion. Not here, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
The trial is not over yet. I am disconnected with the your permissiveness towards felons and distaste for cops enforcing law and order.

Floyd was restrained after he wriggled out of the cop car. When the cops felt that Floyd might be in distress, they called for an ambulance. Floyd was held down till the medics arrived. The crowd gathering around the scene were heckling and distracting the cops. They were the ones guilty of contributing to Floyd's death.
Why is it that every single witness - including medical and law enforcement experts - has specifically said that everything you said here is not true. Every word of what you have said in every one of your posts. Medical experts who were on the scene, law enforcement experts who supervised Chauvin and investigated his actions... every single one of them has said you are absolutely wrong.

Have you stopped to consider the possibility that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? Cuz I think maybe it's time you did. You don't seem to know much about how police are supposed to do their jobs; I think you've been watching the wrong movies.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Why is it that every single witness - including medical and law enforcement experts - has specifically said that everything you said here is not true. Every word of what you have said in every one of your posts. Medical experts who were on the scene, law enforcement experts who supervised Chauvin and investigated his actions... every single one of them has said you are absolutely wrong.

Have you stopped to consider the possibility that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? Cuz I think maybe it's time you did. You don't seem to know much about how police are supposed to do their jobs; I think you've been watching the wrong movies.

All the experts have not seen what I posted in this thread. So, don't create a false narrative and connect the wrong dots to fit the claim you are using to dismiss what I said.

Relying on experts is your schtick. I rely on facts of the situation as recorded on security cameras from the time the cops arrived till Floyd was taken away in that ambulance, and the autopsy findings.

You speak only for yourself. So, don't create a fictitious sea of expert opinions to bolster your prejudiced take on the matter. Don't summon higher powers for support when you don't have an argument.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:19 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies