Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 07:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's a strange rationale to compare human beings to animals however, how would I know? This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Perhaps that member is confusing the statute upon which the charge is based?

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

This is the only section that makes sense, or is suitable, considering the particular circumstances, imho:

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another;
First off, I was comparing about this post that said Chauvin was a police dog that should get a medal, not a jail sentence. I'll quote it below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
What do you think a cop's business is? A cop's job is that of a trained guard dog. The onus is on Floyd not to get bitten when the dog gives a warning growl. If Chauvin was a 120 pound K-9 doberman, Floyd would have been torn to shreds and the dog would get a medal.
Second off, it is not uncommon for people to use the phrase rabid dog. Much less for a way to say you put someone down (death sentence.) This is typically used for the lunatics that do mass murders.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:20 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
First off, I was comparing about this post that said Chauvin was a police dog that should get a medal, not a jail sentence. I'll quote it below.

Second off, it is not uncommon for people to use the phrase rabid dog. Much less for a way to say you put someone down (death sentence.) This is typically used for the lunatics that do mass murders.
I was referring to the other post as lacking a rationale. Recall, this is the same guy who's apparently hoping for a hung jury to set Derek Chauvin free.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Way too early to say still. Right now? I think he would get convicted. But we have to see what the defense has got.
Right now, imho, the defense would consider a hung jury a win.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Right now, imho, the defense would consider a hung jury a win.
Pretty much.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:42 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Based on evidence presented so far, I believe the prosecution has proven this charge.
I agree.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:56 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Good point and the failure of police management to deal with Chauvin, cost us tax payers 27 million in a civil settlement.
It's easy to settle and be generous with someone else's money. Sometimes I think these settlements should be put to a referendum. Somehow I don't think $27,000,000 represents the discounted value of his earning stream or even the reasonable monetary value of nine minutes of pain.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:22 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I saw that firefighter\ EMT testimony today she didn't come across as very credible. She was scolded by the judge at the end of her testimony for arguing with the defense attorney and not simply answering the questions. Second, apparently she yelled, swore and called the police swear words when this incident happened last year.

I think the defense painted a good picture of a woman that did not remain calm or cool under a stressful situation. Also why was she wearing her uniform today when questioned? Clearly she was off duty.
Speaking of "concocted drama" everyone on that witness stand had an issue with the police and few could have foamed at the mouth by the way they explained what happened, when they produced fake tears and everybody presented this violent felon (think pregnant lady he robbed!) as a "wonderful guy." I love how the judge told her to shut her mouth. He had to say it 2-3 times before her dense head could understand that HE runs the court and SHE needed to shut her mouth before being charged with contempt of court.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's easy to settle and be generous with someone else's money. Sometimes I think these settlements should be put to a referendum. Somehow I don't think $27,000,000 represents the discounted value of his earning stream or even the reasonable monetary value of nine minutes of pain.
Perhaps you should take that up with the City of Minneapolis:

Quote:
C. Prone Restraint Training by the MPD and the Death of David Smith

108. It is well known throughout the law enforcement and medical communities that holding a subject in a position of prone restraint for prolonged periods of time can be deadly.

109. Compressing an arrestee in a prone position with weight on their back and/or abdomen restricts their ability to breathe and can result in asphyxiation.

110. Deaths caused by this form of asphyxiation are often interchangeably referred to as deaths from positional, mechanical, or compression asphyxia, even if technical distinctions exist.

111. The United States Department of Justice has warned law enforcement for decades about the dangers of prone restraint and as early as 1995: “The risk of positional asphyxia is compounded when an individual with predisposing factors becomes involved in a violent struggle with an officer or officers, particularly when physical restraint includes behind-the-back handcuffing combined with placing the subject in a stomach-down position.” National Law Enforcement Technology Center, Positional Asphyxia—Sudden Death at *2 (June 1995).

112. On September 9, 2010, veteran MPD Officers Timothy Gorman (“Gorman”) and Timothy Callahan (“Callahan”) responded to the Minneapolis YMCA, where David Smith (“Mr. Smith”) was experiencing the effects of mental illness.

135. The City of Minneapolis ultimately approved a substantial settlement to the family of David Smith to resolve that litigation, one of the highest amounts it had ever paid.

136. As part of that settlement, the City of Minneapolis “agreed to require its sworn police officers to undergo training on positional asphyxia in the 2014 training cycle of the Minneapolis Police Department...”

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/wp-co...-Complaint.pdf

Old 04-02-2021, 08:31 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
The "George Floyd incident" is significant to the country because it has been portrayed as a racist white cop killing a black man. However, there is no evidence that the race of George Floyd, or the cop, were actual factors in the incident.

Referencing drugs that Floyd may have had in his system may be significant in the defense of the cop, but it clouds the actual sociological issue, which is what is really the pertinent issue to the country.
Reverse it: If a black cop put his foot on a white pedestrian's neck, do you think the world would have went AS bat-turd crazy? Would 1,000's of whites break into stores, stealing everything of value, vandalized and burned the stores and destroyed/burned numerous police cars? Asking for a friend.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
I am really offended by the title of this thread (combined with the fact it's a Sticky, meaning someone in authority thinks it's okay to smear someone like that and put it at the top of the board).

The man was killed by the force of a boot attached to a murdering man, while supported by his posse.

We saw the video. There is no disputing what killed him.

He was not killed by fentanyl - what could be a possible motive of not allowing this man to Rest In Peace and making sure justice is served by convicting his killer and accomplices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies