Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 12:36 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
All three charges against Floyd use the words 'causes the death.'
neglect by the officer of a person in custody falls under "causes the death". That would be the lesser charge of 2nd Manslaughter.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
I inserted that true story as relevant because I chose to intervene, when others appeared not to.
I am capable of rendering assistance up to a certain level. Regardless, I view nothing as futile unless an attempt is made. If I have to lie to potentially save a life, I am all for it. I’ll deal with any consequences later.
Understood but this isn't about you. I highly doubt in reality you, a single individual, would outright ignore the futility of assaulting 4 armed police officers simply because you wanted to prove futility.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:37 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docyabut View Post
Floyd took those drugs he put in his mouth ,a moment when he saw the police coming to his car. His airway was not blocked.
If that was the case then let's examine:
Average time to absorbtion from stomach of a substance averages 30-45 min. Then is starts to have an effect but minor with an estimated time to peak at 1.5 hours (Opioids and uppers just in case)

You theory would only work if the altercation took more than an hour from the time the police arrived to when he was dead. in addition there would be enough pill matter or peices to see on autopsy as check stomach contents when drugs is su
supected is standard protocol.

Again post mortem results are not accurate so you need more than that to say is was OD related. It's the prosecution job to explain so we will see what they do but the science does not back using post mortem levels alone.

By all accounts there was not enough time for what you propose to have actually happened.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 04-02-2021 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-02-2021, 12:40 PM

587 posts, read 563,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
neglect by the officer of a person in custody falls under "causes the death". That would be the lesser charge of 2nd Manslaughter.
Based on evidence presented so far, I believe the prosecution has proven this charge.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Based on evidence presented so far, I believe the prosecution has proven this charge.
I am in agreement here as well. I think prosecution has at the very least proven 2nd Manslaughter.

As for the other more serious charges of 2nd and 3rd murder, it remains to be seen until defense presents their case.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:42 PM

929 posts, read 304,582 times
Quote:
Understood but this isn't about you. I highly doubt in reality you, a single individual, would outright ignore the futility of assaulting 4 armed police officers simply because you wanted to prove futility.

You apparently don’t know me very well.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:43 PM

728 posts, read 303,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I say that he has no business being a cop is simple: He showed extreme lack of judgement continuing to kneel on Floyd for as long as he did.

There are some important rules that police must follow. They are trained to use their gun, but they have to be extremely prudent in their use of that gun. If they are trained to kneel on a suspect, then fine. They need to be prudent with kneeling on suspects. Over 8 minutes was excessive. Continuing to kneel when Floyd became unresponsive was imprudent use of the technique. Not knowing when to stop demonstrates Chauvin's extreme lack of judgement.

I do struggle to put the bulk of the blame on Chauvin for Floyd's death. Floyd would have been better off getting in the damn car. He refused. He would have been better off not resisting arrest. He refused. Subduing him outside the car and waiting: That was Floyd's decision. Chauvin wanted to stick him in the car and take him to jail. Floyd would have done time for counterfeiting and drugs, but he'd still be alive.

So to break it down, here are Floyd's contributions to his own death:
  • Having COVID-19 and not quarantining at home like he should have. (Floyd also exposed all of the cops and everyone he interacted with. Not cool!)
  • Despite knowing he has a serious heart condition and almost dying of an overdose previously, he took Fentanyl and other drugs anyways.
  • Being uncooperative when the police arrived to arrest him. (Just put your other hand on the wheel you idiot!)
  • Apparently, downing drugs to hide the evidence when the police were approaching.
  • Refusing to get in the police car, thereby making it extremely unlikely that they could get him emergency medical help for overdosing.
The case could go either way. The jury might very well decide that Chauvin and the other officers were responsible for Floyd's safety after having him in handcuffs. You have to weigh that against all the things that Floyd did to cause his own death. You have to determine whether Floyd would have died entirely from his own actions. You have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Chauvin's knee was the thing that killed Floyd. But if the knee is conclusively determined to be a significant contributing factor to Floyd's death, then the jury likely convicts on 3rd degree or manslaughter.

You are very methodical in your analysis but we are not in a classroom dealing with arithmetic where 1 is expected to be 1 and 2 is expected to be 2. Even in real time, in the real world you and I can fight better in our minds from the ringside than Muhamad Ali in the ring.

You know that you will never end up with a cop's knee on your neck in the street. Why? You know you will never pass off a fake twenty dollar bill anywhere. Why? The world out there is a sad place for both George Floyd and cops. It is set up for guys like Floyd to end up dead and for cops like Chauvin getting hung up to dry. The right way to end this is to give our cops like Chauvin some slack and pay some compensation to Floyd's family. Not $27 million.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
You apparently don’t know me very well.
Sure... You could very well be Jack Reacher for all I know. But again... this isn't about you and we are talking most normal individuals which you are claiming are not normal.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:48 PM

929 posts, read 304,582 times
Quote:
Sure... You could very well be Jack Reacher for all I know. But again... this isn't about you and we are talking most normal individuals which you are claiming are not normal.
Just what is “ normal” ?

However I am capable of doing most of my own stunts.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:49 PM

3,848 posts, read 1,791,151 times
I thought the supervisor of Derek Chauvin gave a really good testimony yesterday and the defense attorney objected twice to the question that asked the opinion of the sergeant if he felt Derek Chauvin should have not used force once Floyd no longer showed resistence. I think that answer may sway the jury a bit because Derek did not want to release his knee off of Floyd.

So I agree, excessive use of force, but that doesn't prove beyond a reason of doubt that this action is what killed George Floyd. George Floyd could not breathe way before when simply told to sit upright in a police vehicle. If in fact Floyd was experiencing an overdose to the combination of drugs he was on, presents doubt that this is 100% Derek Chauven fault for Floyd's death. Therefore I don't see how he can be found guilty.

He was overcharged and I don't think the charges can be proved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies