Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 11:45 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Answer this one: He was in the back of the patrol car saying, "I can't breathe" when nobody was touching him (at that point) When you can't breathe, you can't speak!!! Example: I was at work and started choking on a piece of meat. I could not tell my lunch partner that meat was stuck in my throat because I had no air to make sounds!! I motioned with my hand to my throat, he jumped up and performed the Heimlich Manuver. Popping the meat out! After that was clear in my throat I could speak again, albeit raspy for a bit.Floyd was panicking and saying he could not breathe numerous times before they ever restrained him on the ground. He was under the influence and was not cooperating with their commands. He was also claustrophobic.

So the many, many times he said, "I cant breathe" he actually could breathe because he could make air sounds which make speech. Did the officer hold his neck down too long? Yes. He could have positioned him in another way, like sit on the sidewalk. There were enough officers to move him from the sidewalk to a standing or sitting position. I think the officer holding him down made him panic. He asked, "are you going to kill me?" that comes from his parental training that cops are bad. He was trained to fear cops. :O
If your trachea is being crushed you won’t be able to breathe or talk because air cannot be exchanged through the windpipe. If you have some other condition like a heart attack you feel like you can’t breathe but you can still talk and move air. I think Floyd felt like he couldn’t breathe because he had COVID and drugs that prevented his blood from picking up the oxygen from his lungs. So, he felt like he was choking even though he could still talk and move air. It looked like Chauvin was choking him but that wasn’t actually the case.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-02-2021, 11:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times
OK I've looked at all sides of this pretty hard and I've come to give my opinion. He committed manslaughter under MN law and should receive an appropriate sentence. This wasn't murder, but this wasn't justified force either.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:43 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
OK I've looked at all sides of this pretty hard and I've come to give my opinion. He committed manslaughter under MN law and should receive an appropriate sentence. This wasn't murder, but this wasn't justified force either.
2nd degree murder is what you mean. But the feds will bring the bigger charges.

Old 04-03-2021, 02:05 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Agreed. The 2nd Degree Manslaughter is the one I would be betting on. 4 year sentence.

Old 04-03-2021, 02:10 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
So Derek Chauvin is found guilty on the higher 2nd Degree murder charge in this case. What happens when the feds charge him with the higher 1st degree federal murder charge? Where does that trial happen, and what do you think the outcome will be? Keep in mind that fed charges result in 99% conviction.
A conviction on 1st degree murder at the Federal level would rightly be seen as an egregious miscarriage of justice and hold the US up to ridicule.

Old 04-03-2021, 03:56 AM

513 posts, read 471,302 times
It was so sad to see Floyd dying from a overdose of drugs but sad to, to see the police doing their job training. Hope the trial comes out ok, and there's no more rioting and killing police.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:13 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If Derek Chauvin was a dog, he is a rabid dog. Rabid dogs are menaces to society and are to be dealt with. You either lock them up or put them down. Chauvin should be treated as a rabid dog. If the legal system fails and he walks (and he isn't locked up), he will face street justice and will be put down like the mangy rabid mutt he is.
I heard this street justice mularkey about George Zimmerman and he's still alive eight years after the trial.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:59 AM

2,106 posts, read 980,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I heard this street justice mularkey about George Zimmerman and he's still alive eight years after the trial.
Although Zimmermans still partly alive ,the press killed the rest of him then they left him alone to rot .

Old 04-03-2021, 05:59 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Although Zimmermans still partly alive ,the press killed the rest of him then they left him alone to rot .
Alive vs dead, take your pick. For all you know, Zimmerman's enjoying a fine breakfast looking forward to a great day. Anyhow,...

I expect Chauvin will spend time in prison or stay on bond until his next trial.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:33 AM

10,479 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
2nd degree murder is what you mean. But the feds will bring the bigger charges.
Why are the feds involved anyway? As far as I can tell, they have no jurisdiction here. That alone will get the case thrown out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies