Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 08:50 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Why are the feds involved anyway? As far as I can tell, they have no jurisdiction here. That alone will get the case thrown out.
In the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown the DOJ investigated Zimmerman and Officer Wilson to determine whether they violated various federal civil rights laws. Neither case led to charges.

After the acquittal of officers in the Rodney King case, the DOJ brought federal civil rights violations charges and got guilty verdicts for two of them.

In the unlikely event Chauvin's found not guilty of all charges, he should either vanish underground in the U.S. or immediately head to the nearest airport and hop a plane to any country that will take him,

Old 04-03-2021, 08:52 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Stupidity, even drug abuse or petty crime isn’t justification for death he suffered.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:08 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Why are the feds involved anyway? As far as I can tell, they have no jurisdiction here. That alone will get the case thrown out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
In the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown the DOJ investigated Zimmerman and Officer Wilson to determine whether they violated various federal civil rights laws. Neither case led to charges.

After the acquittal of officers in the Rodney King case, the DOJ brought federal civil rights violations charges and got guilty verdicts for two of them.

In the unlikely event Chauvin's found not guilty of all charges, he should either vanish underground in the U.S. or immediately head to the nearest airport and hop a plane to any country that will take him,
The Justice Department will likely wait to see the state jury's verdict in the current trial before deciding whether to bring separate federal charges. The JD could bring the federal charge of "deprivation of civil rights under color of law". Basically meaning that former PO Chauvin, while exercising his official power, intentionally & knowingly deprived George Floyd of his life & liberty.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:10 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

Mustn’t forget Tiwana Bradley case , that was bigger than all the cases put together .

Old 04-03-2021, 09:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Oh, please the crowd wasn't "begging" for anything. The female firefighter testified as much. Yes, she and others tried to get Chauvin attention but with a crowd becoming unruly he wasn't listening.

To suggest Chauvin was intentionally trying to murder Floyd is ridiculous.

What he is guilty of is gross negligence.
Chauvin is guilty of being dumber than the law allows! I'll give you that. You may want to watch the video again because they are begging Chauvin to check a pulse. Chauvin just stares at them.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's easy to settle and be generous with someone else's money. Sometimes I think these settlements should be put to a referendum. Somehow I don't think $27,000,000 represents the discounted value of his earning stream or even the reasonable monetary value of nine minutes of pain.
Well a life was taken. So there's that.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:45 AM

929 posts, read 304,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Mustn’t forget Tiwana Bradley case , that was bigger than all the cases put together .
And Sharpton still has Carte Blanche anytime he shows up. There he was kneeling with Crump and a cousin of Floyd at the beginning of the trial. The Leftist Media loved it.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:45 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Chauvin is guilty of being dumber than the law allows! I'll give you that. You may want to watch the video again because they are begging Chauvin to check a pulse. Chauvin just stares at them.
He’s saying , pulse? What’s that

Old 04-03-2021, 09:50 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Did Chauvin go overboard? 99% he did. The 1% is him just not getting into the car even with bystanders begging him to do so. Maybe Chauvin felt if he didn't restrain Floyd that with his size and strength things could have gone sideways.

All of that doesn't change one fact, that Chauvin should have been able to tell what he was doing and loosen his grip instead of killing him in that manner. I don't care who George Floyd was, a hero he definitely wasn't. Chauvin should be found guilty. This is not about race, about police as a whole, or even excessive force. It's about a policeman who did not read the situation and in turn killed Floyd. It really is that simple. And to me it's 1st degree murder.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Answer this one: He was in the back of the patrol car saying, "I can't breathe" when nobody was touching him (at that point) When you can't breathe, you can't speak!!! Example: I was at work and started choking on a piece of meat. I could not tell my lunch partner that meat was stuck in my throat because I had no air to make sounds!! I motioned with my hand to my throat, he jumped up and performed the Heimlich Manuver. Popping the meat out! After that was clear in my throat I could speak again, albeit raspy for a bit.Floyd was panicking and saying he could not breathe numerous times before they ever restrained him on the ground. He was under the influence and was not cooperating with their commands. He was also claustrophobic.

So the many, many times he said, "I cant breathe" he actually could breathe because he could make air sounds which make speech. Did the officer hold his neck down too long? Yes. He could have positioned him in another way, like sit on the sidewalk. There were enough officers to move him from the sidewalk to a standing or sitting position. I think the officer holding him down made him panic. He asked, "are you going to kill me?" that comes from his parental training that cops are bad. He was trained to fear cops. :O

Again, one can talk and still not be breathing effectively. If one cannot take a deep enough breath to reach the alveoli, no oxygen can reach the blood stream nor can CO2 be eliminated from the blood stream.

However, 150cc breath is enough to pass the vocal cords and vocalize a sentence with each small breath that does not benefit as gas exchange of the body. This is referred to as "dead space."

Quote:
Dead space is the volume of air that is inhaled that does not take part in the gas exchange, because it either remains in the conducting airways or reaches alveoli that are not perfused or poorly perfused. In other words, not all the air in each breath is available for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. Mammals breathe in and out of their lungs, wasting that part of the inhalation which remains in the conducting airways where no gas exchange can occur.

Anatomical dead space is that portion of the airways (such as the mouth and trachea to the bronchioles) which conducts gas to the alveoli. No gas exchange is possible in these spaces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_s...cal_dead_space

Last edited by jojajn; 04-03-2021 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies