Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 10:47 AM

728 posts, read 303,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
We hear a black man (also seen at that trial) as well as a woman (fire fighter) shouting to check Floyd as Chauvin looks up. Chauvin isn't required to listen to a crowd. The other officer we see appears concerned with keeping the crowd back. Chauvin had 19 years on the force and aware of what happens when a crowd gets out of control.

Now this doesn't excuse the excessive use of force. However, Floyd was a big man, acting erratic and had refused to get into a police car. Chauvin had ever right to keep him under control but Floyd was on the ground and handcuffed at that point.

Yes, Chauvin killed Floyd but in no way did he deliberately murder him.

Chauvin did not kill Floyd. His death was incidental and circumstantial. It's tough being a cop whose job is to be at the scenes of crime committed by violent and disorderly people.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:53 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Chauvin used excessive force. Keep in mind that there were 4 police officers at the scene, Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground. Floyd did not present a threat to those officers. If 4 police officers could not handle him they could have called for assistance. Because Chauvin used excessive force he owns the result.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:59 AM

13,753 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Chauvin did not kill Floyd. His death was incidental and circumstantial. It's tough being a cop whose job is to be at the scenes of crime committed by violent and disorderly people.
My guess is a jury will certainly take into consideration Floyds behavior as well as a crowd having formed.
However, Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground. Chauvin is likely going to prison the only question is for how long.

Unfortunately, I doubt the verdict a jury comes back with will fit the narrative that is Chauvin deliberately murder Floyd.

Expect massive riots and looting.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Chauvin used excessive force. Keep in mind that there were 4 police officers at the scene, Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground. Floyd did not present a threat to those officers. If 4 police officers could not handle him they could have called for assistance. Because Chauvin used excessive force he owns the result.

Chauvin did not use excessive force. He didn't even draw his weapon. He was called in as backup to two other officers who arrested Floyd. He assisted his colleagues to restrain Floyd till medics arrived. The media needed a face to focus public hatred on white cops.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
My guess is a jury will certainly take into consideration Floyds behavior as well as a crowd having formed.
However, Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground. Chauvin is likely going to prison the only question is for how long.

Unfortunately, I doubt the verdict a jury comes back with will fit the narrative that is Chauvin deliberately murder Floyd.

Expect massive riots and looting.

Let them riot and loot all they want. I would rather see America burn to the ground that to be part of a despicable nation that our founding fathers didn't risk their lives to create.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:11 AM

13,232 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
We hear a black man (also seen at that trial) as well as a woman (fire fighter) shouting to check Floyd as Chauvin looks up. Chauvin isn't required to listen to a crowd. The other officer we see appears concerned with keeping the crowd back. Chauvin had 19 years on the force and aware of what happens when a crowd gets out of control.

Now this doesn't excuse the excessive use of force. However, Floyd was a big man, acting erratic and had refused to get into a police car. Chauvin had ever right to keep him under control but Floyd was on the ground and handcuffed at that point.

Yes, Chauvin killed Floyd but in no way did he deliberately murder him.
Quote:
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or ...
The legal question for the jury to decide in the above charge is:

Did Derek Michael Chauvin cause the death of George Floyd by his culpable negligence, thereby creating an unreasonable risk and taking a chance of causing death or great bodily harm to George Floyd?

Old 04-03-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Let them riot and loot all they want. I would rather see America burn to the ground that to be part of a despicable nation that our founding fathers didn't risk their lives to create.

I'm not sure store and property owners are going to ignore what happened last summer. If the police are going to stand down when the chaos starts expect people to start defending their property.

And that's when things get really interesting.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:24 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Chauvin did not use excessive force. He didn't even draw his weapon. He was called in as backup to two other officers who arrested Floyd. He assisted his colleagues to restrain Floyd till medics arrived. The media needed a face to focus public hatred on white cops.
Yes excessive force was used. The knee on the neck is 5 minutes longer then necessary: ergo excessive.
His weapon of choice, his body weight.
During the hold phase , the officers are trained to do cpr. Each one made a conscious decision to deny the detained that service. No pulse, usually is a code 3.
The milling of citizens willing to stand on the corner and behave with passion and non threatening to the officers, . No way do I see any of them heaving bottles or creating an escalation of threat. They used their 1st amendment right, free speech. There is a saying 'silence breeds consent'. These by standers chose to use their voice so that they did not come off as passive or consenting to the officers actions.
I appauld those that took video. It had to be difficult filming knowing what was being endured by Mr.Floyd.
And yes I suffer from COPD. When my oximeter has me below 85, I can struggle with breathing and being coherent. Its like a bear hug that won't stop. Unfortunately for Floyd that bear on top of him did him in.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
George Floyd passed a $20 Bill which MAY HAVE BEEN counterfeit. That is why he was murdered. Chauvin had dealings with Floyd before. They could have given him a citation and waited for a hearing. Why was he even handcuffed?

Old 04-03-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
George Floyd passed a $20 Bill which MAY HAVE BEEN counterfeit. That is why he was murdered. Chauvin had dealings with Floyd before. They could have given him a citation and waited for a hearing. Why was he even handcuffed?

Fine. However, there is a trial in progress.

The problem is the narrative (Chauvin deliberately murdered Floyd) has already been set in stone by many.

If the jury comes back with a verdict which mob rule doesn't agree... expect massive rioting and looting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies