Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 09:51 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
What alledged law did he break? Buying cigarettes?

There was a presumption that the bill used was fake. That was not produced or retained for evidence. So what law did he break ? The alleged counterfeit $20 bill used by George Floyd wasn't inspected or collected before his fatal arrest in Minneapolis, according to one of the first officers at the scene.

Former police officer Thomas Lane said in newly-released audio that he didn't obtain the bill before, during or after the incident that led to Mr Floyd's death on 25 May.

Resisting arrest? Hmmmm....I didn't hear any officer read him his Miranda rights at time of cuffing? Did you?
Let me guess, you think Ahmaud Arbery was out for a jog too right?

Old 04-03-2021, 09:56 PM

728 posts, read 303,437 times
Quote:
What alledged law did he break? Buying cigarettes?

There was a presumption that the bill used was fake. That was not produced or retained for evidence. So what law did he break ? The alleged counterfeit $20 bill used by George Floyd wasn't inspected or collected before his fatal arrest in Minneapolis, according to one of the first officers at the scene.

Former police officer Thomas Lane said in newly-released audio that he didn't obtain the bill before, during or after the incident that led to Mr Floyd's death on 25 May.

Resisting arrest? Hmmmm....I didn't hear any officer read him his Miranda rights at time of cuffing? Did you?

Miranda warning is only required if Floyd was subjected to interrogation. He was taken into custody for transportation to the police station.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
I am not saying that the store manager shouldn't have reported to the police with regard to the counterfeit money. A 911 call is for an emergency. There was no emergency. Cops responding to 911 calls are prepared for trouble dealing with expected tense situations. It's just isn't fair to the police when we call cops for protection on emergency basis and then jump on them for not making sure nobody gets hurt except cops.
From Minneapolis' own website: https://www.minneapolismn.gov/contac...n-to-call-911/

Call 911 for anything that requires the police, fire department, or an ambulance.

Call to report issues that require a police officer at the scene (for example: assaults, burglaries, kidnapping, domestic disputes)
Call to report a crime that is in progress
Call to report suspicious criminal activity that you witness (for example: sounds of shots fired, cries for help, if you see someone carrying items from a house)

Quote:
I sense you skipped the obvious: the first responding officer:Thomas Lane admitted no bill was obtained , collected, or retained for evidence.
Chew on that and get back to me when you have an actual law that Floyd broke.

Glad though you took the time to look up some laws. Even I learned something from that link, thank you.

The bill issue is after the fact. The police responded to a crime. Whether it was this or someone killed five people, it is still a response, and the police treat it as such until further notice. Cops go to many calls that end up being nothing, no crime, however, a cop (and everyone) only knows this after the fact.

I been to numerous calls that ended up being no actual crime, but a few of those I ended up making an arrest because the people's reaction to my presence and detainment of them. Those incidents that occur after really have nothing to do with why the cop (myself in these cases) was there in the first place. A cop may determine no crime occurred, but that does not give a person free reign to go a resist and even assault a cop, because after all, there was "no initial crime".

I think this cop dude in the story is a moron and guilty of contributing to the death in some manner, but that does not mean I all of a sudden do not think Floyd was guilty as well regarding his lack of cooperation with the cop. Floyd did escalate things, escalated in an unlawful manner, but that does not excuse the cop though.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is against the law to spend fake money. Did you not know that? The store called the police, did you not know that? Have you not read the 911 transcripts?

There is a presumption for all crime, from murder to jaywalking. I call the police and point to a person saying he just killed five people, guess what will happen? They will detain that person whether he did or not. Just like there is a presumption for all calls that a crime occurred, hence why 911 was called.

And it is not "resisting arrest" there is a law against interfering, obstructing, or resisting, a cop in performance of official duties.

Even found the MN statute for you:

https://codes.findlaw.com/mn/crimes-...ct-609-50.html

"(2) obstructs, resists, or interferes with a peace officer while the officer is engaged in the performance of official duties;"
This however does not negate Derek Chauvin keeping his knee on the back and neck of George Floyd for nine minutes.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:17 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
Quote:
You seem to discount everything Floyd did that got all of us into this situation. If you put yourself in harm's way fooling around on a railroad crossing, do you place the blame on the train driver for not looking out for you?
Even if Floyd did commit a crime he is awarded due process and the presumption of innocence. The principle of presumed innocence until found guilty by a jury of your peers is the bedrock of the American criminal justice system.
Floyd did nothing to warrant summary execution.

You never addressed any of the items that indicate chauvin’s culpability. Here’s another chance

“You said Floyd might be in “distress”. why would the officer continue to kneel on the neck of someone in distress.
Why did the officer continue to kneel on Floyd’s neck after he was told Floyd had no pulse? If someone has no pulse why did he stay in that position until the EMT arrived?

None of the bystanders were detained , arrested or charged with interfering with the police , obstructing the police or disturbing the peace. They did nothing wrong.

A paramedic told the officer that based as a paramedic what he was doing was dangerous and life threatening
An mma fighter with knowledge of chokeholds told the officer what he was doing was dangerous and life threatening.

The supervising leadership of the police force testified in court that what the officer was doing was against training policy and protocol and officers are taught yearly what he was doing was dangerous.

Your argument seems to be he was a black drug user accused of a crime so anything the officer did is fine despite ample evidence the officer was engaged in life threatening actions that were not indicated or per protocol.”

Old 04-03-2021, 10:23 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This however does not negate Derek Chauvin keeping his knee on the back and neck of George Floyd for nine minutes.
Read my post above, it does not negate at all, and I never stated as such. Floyd could have just killed 5000 people, still would not negate the action of the cop.

However, seems some posters, not just this thread, and many in the general public, think only black and white, up or down, binary, in that if you think Floyd was a POS and escalated the situation, that means you also think Chauvin is innocent. Likewise, people think because you think the cop is guilty, means you msut think Floyd was innocent of everything.

As I see it, cop responds to a crime, the suspect, Floyd, escalates the situation unlawfully, the cop does basically everything right up until the point of detainment via knee in the neck. It is not any more complicated than that in my opinion.

Instead, we got people saying no crime, or why 911 called, or the store manager should have not called the police, or why did the cops not just take his name and get back with him alter, or that because no crime was proven right then and there, or "all of this over $20?", cops should have just left, etc, etc.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:42 PM

728 posts, read 303,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
From Minneapolis' own website: https://www.minneapolismn.gov/contac...n-to-call-911/

Call 911 for anything that requires the police, fire department, or an ambulance.

Call to report issues that require a police officer at the scene (for example: assaults, burglaries, kidnapping, domestic disputes)
Call to report a crime that is in progress
Call to report suspicious criminal activity that you witness (for example: sounds of shots fired, cries for help, if you see someone carrying items from a house)

The bill issue is after the fact. The police responded to a crime. Whether it was this or someone killed five people, it is still a response, and the police treat it as such until further notice. Cops go to many calls that end up being nothing, no crime, however, a cop (and everyone) only knows this after the fact.

I been to numerous calls that ended up being no actual crime, but a few of those I ended up making an arrest because the people's reaction to my presence and detainment of them. Those incidents that occur after really have nothing to do with why the cop (myself in these cases) was there in the first place. A cop may determine no crime occurred, but that does not give a person free reign to go a resist and even assault a cop, because after all, there was "no initial crime".

I think this cop dude in the story is a moron and guilty of contributing to the death in some manner, but that does not mean I all of a sudden do not think Floyd was guilty as well regarding his lack of cooperation with the cop. Floyd did escalate things, escalated in an unlawful manner, but that does not excuse the cop though.

Come on. As a cop yourself (I assume you are one), you should know better than to cast aspersion on a fellow cop's fitness for duty in a public forum.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:23 PM

176 posts, read 76,887 times
The knee on the neck did not restrict blood flow.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:02 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Chauvin is going to jail. For how long, we don`t know but he`ll be locked up. Nothing is going his way in this trial. Floyd was on drugs but the video inside the store does not show a crazed, threatening, hysterical, dangerous man.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:51 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
Quote:
Come on. As a cop yourself (I assume you are one), you should know better than to cast aspersion on a fellow cop's fitness for duty in a public forum.
And this why there are so many bad cops and tax payers foot the bill massive police misconduct settlements

NYC $170 million yearly
Chicago $47 million yearly
L.A $33 million yearly
Washington DC $13 million yearly
And on and on

This money could be spent on education and health care for children or services for veterans. That’s a novel idea get rid of bad cops and spend the money on children, veterans or something that makes a better society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies