Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 10:00 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Do you think having to show a vaccination card to get into a freaking grocery store is going to help or hurt equality?
There's actually an editorial in the New Republic talking about that very issue. That it will actually hurt goals of equity:

Rather than solving an existing problem, vaccine passports represent a failure of the country’s public health infrastructure to adequately address the pandemic......

....Vaccine passports claim to offer a shortcut to normalcy, but they’re more like a dead-end, a way of entrenching hierarchies of citizenship and access. There is no easy way to get back to normal except by building out the health care infrastructure and services that people need in this time of emergency. To solve the vaccine passport problem, we have to solve the issue of health care equity. “If we had equity, I don’t think we’d have this question about the vaccine passport,” said Benton. “This conversation would look very different.”

https://newrepublic.com/article/1618...r-justin-amash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 10:05 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
I wonder if we should be able to vote on a few things like these. Well, we have representatives, in theory...

Old 04-02-2021, 10:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is not uplifting stuff. Naomi Wolf is a leftist warning about the serious danger of vaccine passports. I'm definitely not a leftist, but I completely agree with what she is saying. I hope that all Americans of all political persuasions can see how serious the danger is here. The danger to liberty should be blatantly obvious to all of us:

"As a Democrat, I am horrified that the Biden Administration is rolling this out, but this is beyond partistanship. Tories are rolling it out in Britain. In Israel, Netanyahu rolled it out. In 6 months, no 4 months, Israel crushed civil society because people who don't sign on to this pass system are 2nd rate citizens. And people even who do sign on to it who are dissidents are hounded and shamed and ostracized and surveilled 24/7. And they're trying to warn the rest of the world. And I'm trying to warn you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWoDbGNt4wg

Cept that there is no truth to the Biden Admin “ rolling this out”.

Dr Wolf seems to increasingly project somewhat of an unhinged persona, prone to conspiracy theories.

Biden Admin is looking at standards for a digital vaccine certificate AND made clear the Federal Government would not maintain or monitor.

Right now, there is a digital record of vaccine minimally at the county level.

Recipients are given a hard copy verification form which varies by and within county, depending on who gave the shot. Such forms are easy to counterfeit.

Israel a very small country with a population of 9 million and limited healthcare facilities has imposed some of the strongest restrictions in the world, including closing international airports to all inbound and outbound flights. All restrictions have been fully supported by Netanyahu.

As of right now, Israel has the highest rate of vaccinated population in the world. It paid more and got more vaccine.

Now the hard part- persuading those who are reluctant to vaccinate which generally speaking, tend to be certain, not all, Ultra- Orthodox groups. The infection/ hospitalization/ fatality rate among this sub population is disproportionate to its population.

As I understand it, businesses that by their nature involve close human to human contact, are limited to those with proof of vaccine.

There is no question, the public activities of certain Ultra- Orthodox groups are being monitored in Israel given such groups routinely ignore limitations on gatherings and isolation when sick. This has put continued and ongoing pressure on the Israeli healthcare system to the near breaking point.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-02-2021 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-02-2021, 10:07 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people are more than happy to live in an authoritarian state. Apparently you're one of them. The tech companies and the government now have more information on citizens than the Nazis could have ever dreamed of, yet there is a huge percentage of the population who is not bothered by this.

The only thing I can say is if you think the authoritarian stuff will stop with showing a vaccine passport, you're sadly mistaken. As another poster said, did you watch the video? The implications for this are very broad.

Some people will not get it until there are tanks rolling down the street or until they or someone they know is 'disappeared' to a FEMA camp (or worse).
The thing is government never snaps back, they always gain a little, hold onto it, then demand to gain a little more, and a little more... Government never grabs power, and then gives it back.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:11 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Cept that there is no truth to the Biden Admin “ rolling this out”.

Biden Admin is looking at standards for a digital vaccine certificate AND made clear the Federal Government would not maintain or monitor.

Right now, there is a digital record of vaccine minimally at the county level.

Recipients are given a hard copy verification form which varies by and within county, depending on who gave the shot. Such forms are easy to counterfeit.

Israel a very small country with a population of 9 million and limited healthcare facilities has imposed some of the strongest restrictions in the world, including closing international airports to all inbound and outbound flights. All restrictions have been fully supported by Netanyahu.

As of right now, Israel has the highest rate of vaccinated population in the world. It paid more and got more vaccine.

Now the hard part- persuading those who are reluctant to vaccinate which generally speaking, tend to be certain, not all, Ultra- Orthodox groups. The infection/ hospitalization/ fatality rate among this sub population is disproportionate to its population.

As I understand it, businesses that by their nature involve close human to human contact, are limited to those with proof of vaccine.
Did you watch the video?

Old 04-02-2021, 10:14 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
I don't see how this is remotely legal and not a violation of your right to privacy. It all fits into the Democratic plan, however, to track and control every American citizen. The ACLU should be all over this garbage.

Anyone care to guess what would happen if an illegal alien without this or any other ID got denied to board a plane? All hell would break loose while American citizens suffer.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:22 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Watching it will help you understand why people are so concerned. A lot is at stake here. It’s not a minor thing, this will change society forever and it can impact you even if you get every single vaccine ever made. Your freedom is at stake. Please watch the video.
I like Reason.com's take on this. As a Libertarian civil liberties are top on my list of what is important. Without our rights we have nothing. I am not sure this is any different than having a drivers license. Where in theory the same sort of privacy intrusion is possible. If it is used solely for vaccine verification its not a big problem. But the possible expansion of its use into other things is.

https://reason.com/2021/03/29/get-re...rt-everywhere/

IATA's Travel Pass is a leading contender among a host of competing credentials sponsored by governments and private entities and intended to demonstrate to authorities with a renewed fear of contagion that the bearer poses minimal risk. IATA's digital credential (with paper alternatives available) offers information on destinations' testing and vaccine requirements, connects travelers with their test and vaccination certificates and, by verifying and storing those certificates, acts as a "digital passport" for health purposes.

That's the next concern. Having already expanded beyond air travel to encompass access to sports and concert arenas, it's easy to see COVID-19 being only the first entry in credentials designed to be scalable. They can all be easily tweaked to record conformity with any imaginable public health requirement. Underground entrepreneurs certainly anticipate a large role for such documents—they've established a brisk business selling bogus vaccine certificates to buyers unable or unwilling to secure the real thing.

A year-plus into the COVID-19 pandemic, health passports are far too late to mitigate the damage done by lockdowns, surveillance, and travel restrictions. Even so, they're almost guaranteed to be a part of the world to come.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:28 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
People can be banned from the grocery store or school or work just for not complying with the government’s wishes on any number of things if digital vaccine passports take hold and this will go well beyond just requiring the covid vaccine. For those who don’t get their yearly flu vaccine, say goodbye to that choice. People who leave their cell phones at home won’t have the option of not being tracked as this app will take care of that for you.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:32 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people are more than happy to live in an authoritarian state. Apparently you're one of them. The tech companies and the government now have more information on citizens than the Nazis could have ever dreamed of, yet there is a huge percentage of the population who is not bothered by this.

The only thing I can say is if you think the authoritarian stuff will stop with showing a vaccine passport, you're sadly mistaken. As another poster said, did you watch the video? The implications for this are very broad.

Some people will not get it until there are tanks rolling down the street or until they or someone they know is 'disappeared' to a FEMA camp (or worse).
We already live in an authoritarian state. If you have a cell phone or computer you are already surveilled and people know everything there is to know about you.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:33 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
People can be banned from the grocery store or school or work just for not complying with the government’s wishes on any number of things if digital vaccine passports take hold and this will go well beyond just requiring the covid vaccine. For those who don’t get their yearly flu vaccine, say goodbye to that choice. People who leave their cell phones at home won’t have the option of not being tracked as this app will take care of that for you.
Do you have links or sources for your assertions? Flu vaccines have been going on forever, and I've never seen an issue with people getting or not getting them. I'm fine with showing proof of vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies