Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 04:53 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
B.S.

You know as well as I do that if anything were labeled as geared towards whites only, it would be shut down immediately.

Talk about willfully ignorant.

You are 100% correct.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:55 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Who says that they don’t. They do. The basis of a parallel media was to give more opportunities to black creators, directors and actors. Since in the mainstream the roles are limited. But at this point you’re just trying to be obtuse. And this topic is more nitpicking and no one is trying to learn anything. So I’m bowing out

Anything that is specifically geared to one race is racist and discriminatory. That is how the issue is being applied to white people.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:58 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Change the word "black" to "white" and predict the reaction...case closed!
And that my friend is the simple test and the most accurate test.. If it is racist for whites to do it then it is racist for everyone else to do it.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:00 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
After just being inundated with Black History Month on just about every cable channel there is, I am now being bombarded by advertising for yet another Black-only channel: Comcast Xfinity's new Black Experience Channel.

There already are many Black channels: Black Entertainment Television, Black News Channel, Black Family Channel, Oprah Winfrey Network, Revolt, TV One, Afrotainment, etc.

To my knowledge there are no Whites-only cable channels, not that I want any. But it seems to me that this is yet another aspect of our lives where we are becoming more and more divided and not unified.
It is Jim Crow on steroids. Remember when it was white only.. now it is Black only . They also say "MY PEOPLE".

To tell you the truth , I never witnessed any race division in NJ growing up in the 50's.

Can you imagine if whites said "MY PEOPLE"? The black channels ... It excluded everyone that is not black.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:19 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
Predominantly black colleges came about because blacks weren't allowed to go to regular(white)colleges. BET came about because there wasn't a healthy percentage of African- Americans on television. The Negro Leagues happened because blacks weren't allowed to play in the Major Leagues and had to form their own league. And yes maybe now in 2021 a channel more than likely wouldn't call themselves Black Entertainment Television(BET) and would have a different type of name to appeal to a more vast audience. Also as far as American history is concerned when you labeled something "White" 9 times out of 10 that meant "White Power" which evokes some type of harm or negative connotation to those that aren't white. Go ahead and create "White Entertainment Television(WET)" but will it be about regular programming or is it the Proud Boys/Oann Network? When you put 'white' in front of something most times that means somebody non white is about to die or needs to die. Its all about perception. White folks never changed the narrative.

Lets take the movie "White Men Can't Jump" that was a huge hit back in the days. Of course a movie called "Black Men Can't Swim" would be racist. But 'White Men Can't Jump' was created by a white writer, white director, white producer, white/Jewish studio that released the film, white company that owns the theaters it was shown in, etc. Black folks had nothing to do with that film other than star in it. Why would a white guy create something like that that pokes fun at his own race? To make money for starters. BET hasn't been black owned for almost twenty years. Viacom(MTV) bought it years ago.. why didn't they change the name, and the crazy thing is BET had a huge white audience back in the days when it was cutting edge and actually worth watching. These days its a shell of its former self. Oprah's OWN Channel is nothing but a arm of The Discovery Channel. I guess they're just trying to generate ad dollars from the black community. And to really break it down most of this is just a trade off for what happened during slavery. "We oppressed and enslaved people for profit so go ahead and put 'black' in your business title."

-so basically a lot of the complaints white folks have about the so-called double standard is actually created, manufactured, backed, and reinforced by white people.

-also what's everyone's views on the Mexican channels Univision and Telemundo? Both are US based, do they get a pass? What about the Chinatown's, Little Italy's, Little Tokyo's, Koreatown's, etc in every major metropolis? Are those okay and perfectly fine? Nobody has screamed out and demanded a "CaucasianTown" to be built or recognized?
The history we have had with the attacks that whites are racists, and anyone white is treated as if they were a slave owner, told we white people are divisive , believe in Jim Crow laws and then blacks do the same.

Asians and Hispanics never told whites they were racists. It is the left that keeps the resentment going between whites and blacks.

There are no black slaves in America and haven't been for decades. No white person has been a slave owner but the leftists love to play the race card to cause political division when it was the democrats that actually supported and created all that division through the KKK and Jim Crow laws... now they act as if it was the Republican party that did all those things..

Today the democrats keep the divide and resentment alive with false words . This is why it is a topic today. If the democrats were not as racist as they are we would all be in a much better place.

Many blacks have figured this out and refuse to be a victim. The term white privilege is racist if you believe it. Can one imagine a white person saying to a black person I have privilege and you don't because I have white skin? This is a very racist statement. No one is better because of the shade of there skin. This should be the mantra of all people. We are equal but the democrats constantly put down the black race with saying there is white privilege. This is shameful to even think that.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:59 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The history we have had with the attacks that whites are racists, and anyone white is treated as if they were a slave owner, told we white people are divisive , believe in Jim Crow laws and then blacks do the same.

Asians and Hispanics never told whites they were racists. It is the left that keeps the resentment going between whites and blacks.

There are no black slaves in America and haven't been for decades. No white person has been a slave owner but the leftists love to play the race card to cause political division when it was the democrats that actually supported and created all that division through the KKK and Jim Crow laws... now they act as if it was the Republican party that did all those things..

Today the democrats keep the divide and resentment alive with false words . This is why it is a topic today. If the democrats were not as racist as they are we would all be in a much better place.

Many blacks have figured this out and refuse to be a victim. The term white privilege is racist if you believe it. Can one imagine a white person saying to a black person I have privilege and you don't because I have white skin? This is a very racist statement. No one is better because of the shade of there skin. This should be the mantra of all people. We are equal but the democrats constantly put down the black race with saying there is white privilege. This is shameful to even think that.

I consider myself a black libertarian. But I take issues with these sort of comments. I use to somewhat sympathize with this view. But after I really read history. And I mean human history. I kind of really don't agree with it anymore.

For one slavery really really wasn't all that long ago. My grandmother, who is still living met slaves. Her own grandmother was a former slave. So you still have a generation of people who are old enough to have interacted with former slaves. So these aren't super distance memories where no living person today had no interaction with former slaves. Former slaves were still alive up to the mid 20th century. People don't really think in these terms, because we somehow think the 1930s and 40s was a super long time ago. But historically speaking it wasn't.

But aside from slavery, Jim Crow laws, and legalized discrimination and marginalization was definitely in en vogue up till at least the 60s. So yeah segregation, views of black inferiority are recent. The 1960s REALLY wasn't that long ago. Tons of people alive today were around during the 60s. People also like to pretend that the Civil Rights marches were hundreds of years ago. Most boomers were either teenagers or at least born in this era. And it's not like someone flipped a switch and it was gone the next day. Things like redlining still persisted even after the Civil Rights movements.

I mean the Holocaust was in the 1930s. Yet we never ask Jewish people to forget about it or get over it. I think people are expecting some sort of mortal high ground from black people that they don't hold anyone else to. How many disenfranchised groups throughout history have just "got over" stuff within 40-50 years? The answer is never. Do you think 30 years after the Moors left Spain, they were high 5ing people in Morraco? How about the French and the British. British still don't like French to this day.

And I get it, when we don't read history we just don't consider scale. In our minds slavery, Jim Crow laws, etc were generations ago. But not really.

Now do I think this is an excuse for blacks to play victim. No. But victim mentality is present in all groups. Ever seen a white nationalist rally? I have. There is nothing but victim speak in those rallies. Even look at movements in the latino community like the Mexica movement? Asian masculinity movement? All victim speak. So as the kids say "miss me"

Old 04-05-2021, 09:42 AM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
Quote:
After just being inundated with Black History Month on just about every cable channel there is, I am now being bombarded by advertising for yet another Black-only channel: Comcast Xfinity's new Black Experience Channel.

There already are many Black channels: Black Entertainment Television, Black News Channel, Black Family Channel, Oprah Winfrey Network, Revolt, TV One, Afrotainment, etc.

To my knowledge there are no Whites-only cable channels, not that I want any. But it seems to me that this is yet another aspect of our lives where we are becoming more and more divided and not unified.
None of these Black channels you mentioned are Black-only channels so that analogy isn't valid. Oprah Winfrey Network, OWN, isn't even a Black focused channel. It's just managed/owned by Oprah but has programs like Dateline reruns.

I'm fine with Black focused channels or other focused channels for minority groups.

For example, I think TV One is a good idea. Black focused and owned by Urban One, which is operated/owned by Black management.

Starz in Black, not so much makes sense to me, but it's just another linear channel in the Starz package on DirecTV. If Starz were to not air hit movies with black cast on its main channel and only air them on Starz Black, I think it's a bad decision, but so far to my knowledge, they don't program their linear feed as such.

And BTW, there are white focused channels, just guised up.
Decades
CMT

For example, I heard that CMT was airing King of Queens reruns. So, a NY backsetting show is on a country channel? Made no sense but Viacom thinks so because of Doug (the actor) being a blue collar white guy. But surely, we won't see Martin run on CMT.

Last edited by g555; 04-05-2021 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-05-2021, 10:20 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Good list, but you forgot:

The Jackson Five;
Gail Fisher who played Mannix' secretary Peggy;
Diahann Carroll who played the lead character in 'Julia';
Bill Cosby as Scotty in 'I Spy'

and how could you possibly have forgotten..

Nichelle Nichols as Uhura in 'Star Trek'
The beautiful Nichelle Nichols! I was thinking Star Trek was remarkable for its diversity in the 1960's. Then I started thinking about the bridge officers and I couldn't think of a minority on the bridge! That's because you look at the characters and not their racial makeup. Sulu, too; Asian. They were just my favorite characters.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:21 PM

307 posts, read 242,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You cannot blame white people for your problems then look to white people for your solutions.

Liberals: It's all white people's fault

Also liberals: All black schools and neighborhoods don't have money, we need white people!
I thought we were talking about the names of tv channels people have a problem with? What are you even talking about?

Old 04-05-2021, 12:37 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
In the old days I didn't have much of a problem with BET and similar. Now, since the far left is pushing all of this racial division I'm looking at it a little differently.

Separate ceremonies for college graduation and all of that other kind of nonsense such as separate dorms for black kids. I don't think anything good is going to come from all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies