Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 06:53 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmerAmerican View Post
You have to keep in mind that not everyone on these forums is from America. If you look at this thread and this one: https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...-we-there.html, it appears that the OP is not familiar with the US, our government and our laws.

These are good questions for someone just learning about our country.
I would venture to say, not only was I born here, but have been here longer than you have been alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 07:01 PM

141 posts, read 48,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I would venture to say, not only was I born here, but have been here longer than you have been alive.
I'm an old guy, so I doubt that.. and if so, not by much.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt as most people here know more about our country. I guess it's never too late to learn.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:06 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No boycotts are not extortion they are free will.
This.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:08 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
I'm an old guy, so I doubt that.. and if so, not by much.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt as most people here know more about our country. I guess it's never too late to learn.

Never underestimate the ignorance of most Americans. Whenever they do a survey on basic constitutional questions or state capitals, etc. The majority of people do poorly.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:12 PM

141 posts, read 48,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Never underestimate the ignorance of most Americans. Whenever they do a survey on basic constitutional questions or state capitals, etc. The majority of people do poorly.
I don't think those surveys are fair. People do poorly in test situations in general due to stress and pressure.

You see surveys on youtube all the time where people can't answer basic questions... like the one below. I'm not trying to defend people who don't know anything, but these surveys are not a good way to judge that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlCEmPF4-V0

Old 04-06-2021, 08:32 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
I don't think those surveys are fair. People do poorly in test situations in general due to stress and pressure.

You see surveys on youtube all the time where people can't answer basic questions... like the one below. I'm not trying to defend people who don't know anything, but these surveys are not a good way to judge that:
Howard Stern before the pandemic sent out reporters to ask questions. Before the Super Bowl was played they asked people if they watched the super bowl the previous evening. Obviously there was no game the previous evening. If they said yes they asked what was their favorite moment. Amazing how many people just make stuff up. They had one person after another explain their favorite moment. And like the video above there is no way to know how many people were confronted before a really confused person responded.

Most of these surveys are done online or over the phone. Not with someone with a mic to your face. I agree that would be stressful and gives bad results. But some of this is fueled by politics. Both parties tend to bend the facts to help them out. As well as most people not caring about what is in the constitution or laws in general. To paraphrase George Carlin. The average American is not very bright and half of Americans are dumber than that person.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:26 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Is it extortion? Yeah. Yeah, by the textbook definition of the term it is extortion. I don't know why so many people are avoiding giving you a straight answer, because yes - that is what it is.

So what's your point?

Quote:
Extortion is, "if you don't do as I say, or what I want, I will injure you in some way."
That is extortion.
That, on the other hand, is not correct.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:10 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Extortion is, "if you don't do as I say, or what I want, I will injure you in some way."
That is extortion.

Dude. No. Not even close.

Extortion must involve obtaining material goods in exchange for you not hurting that person.

If Coca Cola had said, "If you don't give us $100 million dollars, we are going to leave." That's extortion.

But they said, "If you don't stop being a tyrant, we are going to leave." That's not extortion. Coke gains nothing materialistically.

Do you get it now?

Old 04-07-2021, 05:05 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Response: Opinion

So a few companies leave one state and go to another.
Better than going from one state to China...............

What I have learned is to longer watch baseball, drink Coca Cola
and travel by air.
How 's that for check mate?

Old 04-07-2021, 03:52 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Conservatives need to start doing direct action just like anarchists do. Vandalism and threats get results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies