Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 01:13 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times

Advertisements

America is not the only or the most racist country in the world. If you travel abroad you will see that pretty quickly. We are pretty unique in the fact that we face the reality of racism in our culture, history, society, government, and education systems. Other countries often don't recognize it or make any effort to remedy it. There are people here who fail to recognize it and feel that any effort to remedy it hurts them or infringes on their rights. They are mistaken, mostly. There are those in America who thrive on and promote racism against minorities. They never met a minority that they could not hate or resent. Likewise, there are those who see racists behind every tree or bush or public act. They have an unrealistic and inflated view. I suspect that racism is a spectrum and everyone is on it somewhere.

The OP's question is really one of violence or crime associated with members of an "underclass" against a majority. We don't see nonwhite bankers, lawyers, professors, CEOs, or astronauts attacking whites. In this country the majority or upper class is largely white while the underclass is largely POC. Race adds a new dynamic and one easy to focus on but the issue is not entirely one of race or white victimhood. To some extent it is cultural and economic.

There is a history in America that accounts for the way things are. That is where systemic racism comes from. Certain privileges were and are withheld from the underclass -- including where to live, equal education, work opportunities, voting rights, healthcare, legal representation, and others. Whites claim that they have no special privileges, that there's no white privilege, but they have the normal and expected privileges that the underclass does not have. It is not so much an issue of having an excess of privilege as it is of having what is normal and expected in a free society.

We act like this is something new or unique to America. It isn't but it is different here because (A) we have a recognition of our racial history and racism, and (B) we tend to assign a racial identity to the underclass crimes. That, in itself, is racist as there are whites engaged in the same criminal acts but OP (and others) is looking specifically for racial statistics in the crime reports. A white drug-addict who kills a wealthy white person is lost in the numbers whereas a black drug-addict who kills a wealthy white person is tallied differently. If the black addict in the example kills the white addict, that also is tallied separately because there is a racial difference but they were likely similar in all other ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 01:25 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
It's all political...votes, which in the current administration's case, might backfire.
Sadly, this country has reached a point where actual governing is immaterial. As long as a party "represents" a parties viewpoint, this is good enough, as you correctly say, to get the votes. That's all that matters these days. It's all bark and no bite....all talk and no action.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:28 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
They feel that way because they were born here in the US with liberals pushing an entitlement mentality on them their whole lives. People who come here from other countries, especially Asians, don't have the same level of entitlement. Most asians come here and work. Mexicans will work and live 15 to a house. Meanwhile native raised "minorities" (and many whites) are on section 8 getting food stamps, medicare, and never working a day in their lives, and yet they are somehow oppressed and want even more. The people who scream the loudest about systematic racism are already some of the biggest parasites of the system.

Of course with the low pay and modern working conditions of today's corporations where they push push push you to the bone and increasingly want to monitor everything you do at all times, I don't blame people for wanting to unplug from what can feel like prison or slavery... working at a factory. In Germany they have 4 people running the same machine that 2 of us run here in the US. There would be plenty of jobs if they hired more people to ease the overtime burden rather than when someone takes FMLA, suddenly they are short handed and we have to live at the factory for 2 months. I should vote democrat just because the republicans will never do anything to improve working conditions in this country, but neither will the democrats... all they care about is making sure the people who don't work are comfortable.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:39 PM

1,301 posts, read 666,401 times
There is no systemic racism in America, that's a made up media myth.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:56 PM

138 posts, read 173,365 times
I don't know the exact answer to your actual question, OP, but I am going to give you some other numbers to consider.

In 2018 there were approximately...

259,000,000 people living in US altogether

30,900,000 Black people living in US

61,500,000 Police contacts of any type involving any group

6,500,000 Police contacts of any type involving Black people

1,165 people killed by police altogether

215 Black people killed by police for the year 2018

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cbpp18st.pdf

https://www.theroot.com/here-s-how-m...018-1831469528

Now let's look at some numbers for abortion. Abortion is the number one killer of Black people in the US today, more than any other cause of death.

If the link below is accurate, in 2011 Guttmacher Institute (pro-choice) reported 360,000 Black babies were aborted in the US. That is approximately 986 Black babies killed per day for that year.

If the 2nd link below is accurate, that number has gone down a bit. In 2018, 208,183 Black babies were aborted. That's approximately 570 Black babies per day. Since information reported to the CDC is voluntary, the numbers are probably higher.

Now look again at how many Black people were killed by police in 2018. Go ahead, I'll wait...

215 Black people killed by police

vs.

208,183 Black abortions

According to one website I looked at, in 2015, more Black babies were aborted in New York than there were live births.

But forget everything I just told you. The media, politicians, celebrities, BLM, university professors, and kindergarten teachers everywhere are saying that the biggest cause of Black deaths are due to the police and white supremacy - even three-month olds are allegedly racist and must be reeducated - so, who am I to tell you anything else?

https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2020...ack-americans/

https://www.liveaction.org/news/cdc-...xtremely-high/

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/ss/ss6907a1.htm

Old 04-10-2021, 04:04 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Because nonwhites feel whites have been given unfair advantages. They feel whites owe them something just for existing. Never mind the fact that most white folk are just out to earn a living and provide for their families just like nonwhite folk are.

I’ve always been of the mindset and opinion that nobody owes anyone anything. A person needs to apply themselves and work to get what they want in life. Part of the reason the fight for 15 bothers me as much as it does. Nobody is forcing people to work a dead end minimum wage job. Of these folks want to make more money and have a better life they should go out and get it. Find a better job, work to get it. Work hard and earn a raise on your own merits. Don’t wait for some bureaucrat to write some law to give you more money that you didn’t earn the right to.

As for why we hear more about white on no white crime than the other way around, blame the media bias. It fits their narrative better. This is why the media dropped the Colorado shooting so quickly. The guy pulling the trigger wasn’t a white guy. Also why very few people heard about the black guy who killed a white child in cold blood for riding his bicycle in front of his house around the time Floyd died. It didn’t fit the media’s agenda.
Excerpt:
I’ve always been of the mindset and opinion that nobody owes anyone anything.

Response: Opinion

I take that as a good enough explanation.
There are to many checks and balances provided today than any other time in American History
to let people of lesser equity fall down and more than enough government help to stand them upright.

When will folks learn to stop winding up the toys and just let them go..................

Old 04-10-2021, 05:04 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
If "white supremacy" and "systemic racism" are real....

And if my aunt had balls....

...she'd be my uncle.

But she doesn't, so the "issue" isn't even worth paying attention to.

Prejudice against blacks by whites has been diminishing for decades, and was at one of the lowest levels in the nation's history... until Barack Obama was elected.

Suddenly you began hearing lurid stories of how whites were oppressing blacks, Hispanics, and every other minority. Never mind that the total number of incidents where whites did something to blacks was still falling. The left had found a new weapon to use against whites, and they hyped it up all they could.

No matter that it required lying about the actual level of racism and "White Supremacy" attitudes steadily falling. They kept pushing it anyway, insisting all they could that things were getting worse when in fact they were getting better (but weren't perfect yet and probably never would be, until people themselves were perfect).

And then the media got a huge boost from the arrival of Covid-19 and all the restrictions, uncertainty, and fear. By the summer of 2020 people were ready to explode... especially those who had been convinced by the media's constant exaggerations and lies about the degree of racism they were facing. So when one drugged-out bully in Minneapolis died at the hands of white police, that's all it took for them to decide that ALL police were against ALL blacks, and riots erupted in every major city, lasting for months.

If "White Supremacy" and "systemic racism" were as bad as the media kept pushing, than maybe the rioters would have a leg to stand on. But those weren't, and they didn't.

Last edited by Roboteer; 04-10-2021 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-10-2021, 05:37 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyone777 View Post
Those who speak this way are usually losers...
We might like to think so but this is coming from America's most highly educated, wealthy elite. The rest of us "losers" need to band together in opposition.

Old 04-10-2021, 05:49 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Systemic racism has more to do with how different races interact and interface with the government than with murder rates. It’s not a great proxy, because it has to do with class more than race, but race and class kind of correlate in some ways which make it a compelling enough argument for plenty of folks to buy.

The Innocence Project is a far better source of information on this stuff than anybody I’ve heard, both specifically regarding criminal justice, and projecting out from there how systemic racism is, and isn’t, a thing. They have one goal, and race isn’t it, so I trust them faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more than almost any others on this.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:11 PM

795 posts, read 408,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt:
I’ve always been of the mindset and opinion that nobody owes anyone anything.

Response: Opinion

I take that as a good enough explanation.
There are to many checks and balances provided today than any other time in American History
to let people of lesser equity fall down and more than enough government help to stand them upright.

When will folks learn to stop winding up the toys and just let them go..................
I agree with this. The issue arises with the people that don’t want to get off of the system. This is actually proving to be an issue lately during COVID as well. People were being paid so well to stay at home that they are refusing to go back to work. They are quite happy to just stay at home and collect their checks and EBT cards. There really needs to be limits placed on these assistance programs. They should function as a safety net only. EBT, section 8, welfare, unemployment, etc should not last longer than about 6 months in my opinion. If at that time the recipient of said assistance has not managed to get back on their feet and back to work they should be offered a temporary government job thru the community. Whether that be road construction and maintenance, landscaping work, dispatch, whatever the community may need at the time. After 6 months they need to do something to earn their keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies