Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 11:19 AM

628 posts, read 286,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
"Peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard" ?

yeah, right
"And we fight. We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore." Yup, I can cherry pick too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 11:23 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Cops getting away with murder. If they were punished the same as any criminal who kills a cop, that would be a start.
Getting away with murder - regardless of who has perpetrated the murder - is always problematic. I'm sure you agree.

The problem is that many people on the left - whether they're Antifa, BLM, actual peaceful protesters, or C-D keyboard activists - define for themselves what murder is.

For example: when George Zimmerman was acquitted, on the same night, Angela Corey (a prosecutor), said in an interview that Zimmerman was a "murderer." But the evidence made it clear he shot while lying down on the ground with his back to the pavement while Trayvon Martin was kneeling on top of him pummeling away.

It is indisputably true Zimmerman deliberately fired his handgun at Martin, thus getting Martin off of him and killing Martin.

But that wasn't murder. That was done in self-defense.

Not every single case of police officers killing civilians is murder.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
What's your take on riots?

Riots happened en masse in 2020, they happened after the trial of the LAPD officers/Rodney King, there were riots after authorities decided not to prosecute the LEO who shot Michael Brown, leftists are threatening riots if Derek Chauvin walks, etc.

Do you defend riots? Do you think rioting is "understandable" even if wrong or illegal?

People's livelihoods go up in flames. From Korean merchants who lost incomes, marriages, and dreams in 1992 to Arab immigrants who saw their tiny shops be plundered by gleeful criminals, rioting destroys a lot more than property.

Do you leftists defend rioting? If so, why?
I think anyone caught personally looting or rioting should be arrested and persecuted. I dont think if a small subset of people in a march participate in looting that it has any impact on the cause or the people demonstrating who don't participate in that.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:37 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The ends justify the means my man.
In other words, the left's talk of justice and fairness and equality... it's just talk. In practice, if the left gets mad, watch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Who does the media work for? What do they want?
The media works for certain special interests.

They want power.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I know the OP was just trying to stir stuff up, but here is my honest response...

While I prefer that people didn't riot, I understand why they do (I am not including the looters here... they are just crooks). We've heard people on these boards and on facebook groups talk about "if someone touched my kid, I would blah, blah, blah." and everyone understandably agrees with them. For the riots you are talking about, that is EXACTLY what is happening, people's children are being killed by the police. We talk about what we would do if someone hurt our children, these rioters aren't just talking, they are acting... because their children are being hurt/killed.

I used to be against all riots, and couldn't understand why people would riot. Then I saw an interview on TV with someone who was participating in a riot. It was a nice, calm interview, and the interviewer asked the young lady that very same question, "Why destroy your own town? Why not just protest peacefully?" The protestor responded, "We did. We were protesting for weeks, but you don't know about it because no one [the press] showed up. But the second we start burning stuff down, suddenly everyone is here and wanting to know what we're protesting about." I will never forget that interview, it completely changed the way I look at riots, and why people start riots. As I said earlier, I would prefer that there were no riots, but I understand why there are.

As for riots whenever the Lakers, Dodgers, Red Sox, whatever team, wins the championship... that's just stupid.
While I do respect how you reframed your current stance . I can say it goes along the squeeky wheel gets the grease. I don't think we need to support that squeeky wheel. We need to re-address and maintain civility at an adult.level of maturity.

Nope I don't support damaging property, be it body or building. That goes both ways. Those enforcing and the ones inflicting damage..

Riots in and of themselves are senseless . (Yes righties & lefties , you riot too and deserve acknowledgement of those times of discord).

I've seen no benefit to rioting for anyone person. It's barbaric.

The walk.softly and carry a big stick was a metaphor for hold proudly your principles and do so with a move forward to agreement/resolutions.
Toss out the squeeky wheel.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:54 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
In other words, the left's talk of justice and fairness and equality... it's just talk. In practice, if the left gets mad, watch out.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it is fake(though it can be), but it is inconsistent. I think a psychologist would call it cognitive-dissonance. And whether they believe what they say isn't important. What is important is that what they believe or just pretend to believe serves some secondary purpose.

This secondary purpose is what causes them to appear irrational or even to flat-out lie.

Quote:
The media works for certain special interests.
So what are you going to do about it?

Old 04-20-2021, 11:54 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
"Peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard" ?

yeah, right
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
why? Because you giggled?

Trump's words don't say he told them to go up and swarm the Capitol. He said "peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard"

If you have any interest, here's the full transcript. https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/08/polit...ipt/index.html
Quote:
President Trump said "peacefully."
Trump supporters heard no words of encouragement to take the capital? Ok. Maxine is also expressing her thoughts.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:07 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Yeah. Same old BS. Same old rationalizations. Same old excuses. Same old whitewash. It's really tiresome. That's why rioting happens. I think you answered your own question, if it really was a question, and not just a platform for your ideas.
Quote:
Getting away with murder - regardless of who has perpetrated the murder - is always problematic. I'm sure you agree.

The problem is that many people on the left - whether they're Antifa, BLM, actual peaceful protesters, or C-D keyboard activists - define for themselves what murder is.

For example: when George Zimmerman was acquitted, on the same night, Angela Corey (a prosecutor), said in an interview that Zimmerman was a "murderer." But the evidence made it clear he shot while lying down on the ground with his back to the pavement while Trayvon Martin was kneeling on top of him pummeling away.

It is indisputably true Zimmerman deliberately fired his handgun at Martin, thus getting Martin off of him and killing Martin.

But that wasn't murder. That was done in self-defense.

Not every single case of police officers killing civilians is murder.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:16 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
And selfies while sitting on Nancy Pelosi's chair is just as destructive as burning down buildings and stores.

There's no comparison.

January 6 was an insurrection? When the Capitol Police willingly removed barricades, opened doors, and let Trump supporters in? When it was Trump supporters who were killed, including Ashli Babbit, who got shot by a Capital police officer who is presumed to be black and whose name we'll never know?

No.
The act of burning down a building, a crime, does equal in property damage, to a man during a different crime, sitting in a chair. The chair wasn’t damaged the entire Capitol was. Don’t be disingenuous. The rioters on Jan 6. The Police helping with barricades, taking selfie’s are complicit in the insurrection. Oath keepers and others had well planned out tactics and some even wore tshirts with the date on em. It’s laughable to try to dismiss this treason by gullible people who bought a big lie. Rioting, looting is a crime. So is a mob trying to forcefully stop democracy in progress while it certifies an election. That is a crime. Also not lessened by the violent deaths of anyone participant or otherwise.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:23 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
a peaceful protest is fine..a riot is not..period..do you righties approve of the riot you started at the Capital?..
Oh thats simple. Us righties think rioting is bad. That is why we didnt burn down our neighborhoods in reaction to an unarmed woman getting gunned down by the police during the capital riot.

thats why you dont see broad actions of insanity demanding people who are locked up for breaking the law be let go.

Now what we have seen from you people on the left is, if you dont like it, riot. if people die, blame the people you say "caused the riot. Then demand anyone getting locked up be let go. shoot the current vice president PAID MONEY TO GET RIOTERS OUT OF JAIL.

so you are going to have to excuse me if I fail to believe you when you side with the left, and then say "riots are bad". and suggest that so called "righties" are down with violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies