Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 04:39 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,429,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
I say thank you to Officer Chauvin for sacrificing his life to eliminate a thug
That seems to be where Chauvin is getting a lot of support.

Some people are willing to overlook his improper use of force simply because they feel that Floyd was a thug who deserved to die anyway.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:40 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,556,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's like you have no idea what people have issues with. Everyone supports good cops, and everyone supports holding bad cops responsible for their actions. It's really that simple. No one is saying we don't need cops, we just need better ones.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:40 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,887,899 times
The thug is the one going to prison.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,745,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I think there was wrong-doing on the part of the police, but I wasn't convinced that what he did was criminal. And this means that the other three officers will likely be found guilty.

Second-degree murder generally requires malice and intentionality on the part of Chauvin and the other officers. As heart-wrenching as the video was to watch, there was never any implication that they killed George Floyd intentionally, or had any malice towards him.

I expected maybe manslaughter, but the second-degree murder charge makes no sense. I don't see how this outcome can be anything but political.
Maybe the second degree quilty was because even when the paramedics arrived & told DC there was no pulse he didn't get off Floyds neck for another minute or two.
I just can't imagine what he was thinking.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:43 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,856,110 times
To no one's surprise riots are still planned for Portland tonight regardless of the verdict.

https://twitter.com/Bubola/status/1384624901265395719

Old 04-20-2021, 04:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,233,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
He had a massive dose of lethal drugs in his system. He was dying already.
In which case the responding officer is supposed to render medical aid, not kneel on his neck for 9 minutes.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:44 PM

8,536 posts, read 4,773,040 times
Cops aren’t supposed to be judge, jury, and executioner. He deserves to get sent up to prison. Cops have a hard job, but I don’t honestly think it’s that hard to do better than Chauvin.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:45 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,250,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
That seems to be where Chauvin is getting a lot of support.

Some people are willing to overlook his improper use of force simply because they feel that Floyd was a thug who deserved to die anyway.
And that goes for folks from both parties, as Floyd was indeed a thug, and his thuggery was ended. Good riddance to thugs.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:46 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,472,451 times
The OP said we should be thankful to Chauvin for taking someone who terrorizes women off the streets. It seems like some of you are willfully missing the point. Maybe you're concerned about incidents in your own past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
name a couple of examples so we can see if you're lying.
My rapist. My SIL's rapist. My best friend's rapist. The rapists of all the 1 in 6 women in my life who have been raped or attempted to be raped, most of whom you and I have no idea. My first boss who sexually harassed me for two years when I was going through chemo and couldn't leave the job without losing my health insurance. My high school friend's abusive partner, who I just paid for a flight for her to escape in part because he's a cop in the town they live in and she didn't feel like she had anywhere to turn to escape safely. My aunt's ex who beat her and raped her - though thankfully he did end up in jail after leaving her pregnant from one of the rapes.

Shall I go on? Ask the women in your life about men who have terrorized them through sexual and physical violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Are you saying only 5 rapists have ever seen a jail cell?

Criminals often steal firearms from law abiding firearm owners. Throw the criminals in jail, especially the repeat offenders and don’t let them cycle through the revolving door of justice.
An estimated 5 in 1000 rapists ever see jail time. A statistical handful. Source: https://www.rainn.org/about-sexual-assault The rest are teaching in your schools, working in the cube next to you, repairing your toilet, taking you out on dates and sitting in your local precinct.

We live in a society where we don't just kill people on the street because of their crimes, no matter how heinous. Unless you're a bad cop apologist, apparently.

Old 04-20-2021, 04:46 PM

298 posts, read 117,162 times
George Floyd deserved to die. He was a dirty scumbag, a drug addict.

However, Chauvin was way too brazen about it. Now, he is suffering the consequences of his brazenness. He should have just arrested him. Eventually, the scumbag would have just overdosed on whatever drug he was taking. Then the city wouldn't have to pay any money out, Floyd wouldn't have become a martyr, and the police could have carried out as normal.

Also, Chauvin would likely be enjoying his retirement by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies