Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 04:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,394,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm also a software engineer. I work on cloud and IoT. Which is the technology that would be used for police drones. I think it's more than plausible. Will the first few roll outs have bugs and kinks? Yeah. But to suggest that we shouldn't be at least field testing is also silly.
I worked as a software engineer for decades, including working as a Sr developer at Intel, and later a Sr QA engineer for a decade. Everythings buggy. EVERYTHING.

Cloud and IoT is simple-they tend to be very modular and easier to test...and STILL buggy. what you're suggesting is vastly more complex. And no, IoT and cloud arent big fast decision makers. We are a LONG ways from having a police drone that could make decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 04:06 PM

6,828 posts, read 14,050,033 times
The Columbus shooting was a legitimate use of force. He had no time to do anything but fire is weapon. The video tells the entire story period.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:06 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:

These are kids and they make poor decisions. I get it. But it was probably a silly squabble or something really stupid. And it bothers me someone is dead in this situation. What's worse people are calling the officer a hero. The situation probably would have been better if he were never called at all.
I disagree based on the video and how the thug acted, she was likely to kill her. (Libs tell us to follow the evidence in Floyd case, well I follow the vid every single time. The killer was about to strike, based on her physical actions, demeanor, etc. Fortunately, she lost that opportunity.)

I am delighted the girl in pink is still alive.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:10 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,003,614 times
Quote:
I think the shooting was irresponsible. He risk shooting the other girl too and many more people. He literally fired into an area of crowded people. He should have at least fired a warning shot in the air to get their attention.

I do get it. Mistakes do happen. But these are not trivial mistakes. Lives are lost when these mistakes happen. So even if he made a mistake. There should still be jail time. If a doctor made a mistake and performed some sort of mal practice on your relative. You'd be begging for him/her to serve jail time and have his medical license revoked.

Everyone makes mistakes. But mistakes don't all have the same impact. These mistakes end lives. So yes something should be done. And a slap on the wrist isn't enough. I think he at least 1-3 years in prison.
He didn’t fire into a crowd. He fired at a specific target. They do go to the range. He wasn’t just firing all Willy nilly like he was in the movie “Boyz in the Hood”.

I warning shot? If you have a knife traveling toward you, wtf will a warning shot do?

Old 04-23-2021, 04:10 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
So you want the parents to make their children are aware to never carry a gun as the police will shoot you. Do great things for the 2nd amendment.
The Second Amendment codifies the right to keep and bear arms. It does not give us the right to commit crimes with them. There is a difference between the two, and I suspect that the average police officer is aware of that.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
So you want the parents to make their children are aware to never carry a gun as the police will shoot you. Do great things for the 2nd amendment.
I want parents to tell their kids never threaten another. If threatened, call the police ASAP.

I am 100% fine with self defense, but it should not be hard for Junior to find friends not into a thuggish lifestyle. It starts with parents knowing who their kids hang around with, and what those kids are like.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:11 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,563,896 times
Quote:
Your approach is going to do a lot for "stand your ground" laws. If you actually defend yourself from an intruder with a weapon the police shoot you.

That is the fallout if the police do not get the situation straight before shooting anyone.
Stand your ground laws aren't applicable here, the tubby would be murderer wasn't being attacked, she was the one attacking.

When police hear you announce your intention to murder someone, and they see you attempt to do so, they'll shoot you for it....so don't.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbritt098765 View Post
Because cops are the ones having to deal with this stupid bull**** that our politicians and representatives AREN'T dealing with. They just turn a blind eye as if it's not happening and the cops are the one having to deal with it. Then when the cops actually do their job they're demonized. If the cop hadn't shot and killed her and she had stabbed or killed the other one, the cop would be getting **** for not doing anything.

Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Mob rules.

When I was a teen. There use to be all sorts of fights between people. I fought a lot in high school. Police were often called. Police back then were able to de-escalate situations where someone had a knife without people getting shot. I saw it happen all the time. These days, I feel sorry for any kid who gets into a fight. Because police will just run on the scene and start shooting everyone. It's crazy to me that this situation resulting in someone being dead. These sort of fights happened on a near daily basis when I was a teen.

In the 90s there was 0 tolerance for cops escalating situations and using lethal force. These days they happen all the time that people are numb to it. And I find an issue when police kill citizens especially in most cases the officer are at a tactical advantage. Both by mostly having bullet proof vest, usually having armed backup, and being armed when most victims in these shootings aren't.

I think there is a massive ethical problem with how police conduct themselves now days. And in about 10 or 20 years, I do think Americans will wake up and look at this portion of history with contempt. We've gotten way too comfortable with police using lethal force against citizens. And that's perfect grooming for totalitarianism

Old 04-23-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post

When police hear you announce your intention to murder someone, and they see you attempt to do so, they'll shoot you for it....so don't.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:13 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,003,614 times
Quote:
I'm pretty serious. I believe these situations happen way too much. And they shouldn't given the technology we have today. We should not be relying on a officer with a gun with human emotions to make the correct decision. A drone or any sort of automation would have done this better and more effectively. I believe we should optimize the things we do today.

I just accepting today's inefficiencies and just saying "that's how it is" is an issue. Things should be evolving
What if we have people that can sense a crime and we stop it before if even happens? Wait, there was a movies about that, “Minority report”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies