Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 02:53 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Then don't attempt to murder that defenseless person in front of a cop.

If you have to be a terrible person and feel the need to murder people, make sure no cops are around.
Where is that fact demonstrated? I took a knife from a thief and am using it to hold him at bay until the police arrive. Kindly explain how you know I am trying to kill him. You got some little tiny monkey that flies around your head giving you truth?

And I gather that you do not understand that your position would get anyone defending themselves with a weapon shot. That will do great things for the 2nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 02:55 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
My real opinion is that there shouldn't be cops in the first place. But in this situation firing at the girl the way he did could have resulted in them both getting killed. So it as careless. The bullet could have easily passed through the other girl and shot the victim. So it was a mistake in judgement. It wasn't intentional, and there is human error. But human error that results in the loss of lives should be punished.
Cops use hollow point to prevent over penetration.

And don’t worry, that teen is a BIG enough girl that nothing will overpenetrate her even if it’s AP (armor piercing) rounds

Old 04-23-2021, 02:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
This is beyond stupid. Doing time for saving someone's life?

Please tell me you are being sarcastic and that you aren't really this dumb.
They must be thinking of a different case.

After about half of these shootings that were justified I say the cops need remedial firearms training because some of them shoot like stormtroopers. This guy doesn't even get that criticism. I can literally find nothing to complain about so far.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:58 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
If you knew my background you'd know it's not a troll. I can breakdown why I'd think it would work. And why the technology is with us today. But I don't get how drones replacing human police is a troll? We have the technology, and its very plausible. It's so weird that people think the idea of automating aspects of law enforcement is a trollish idea. I don't like mistake. I don't want 16 year olds and 13 years olds to die due to emotins and lapse in judgement. I actually would prefer lives be spared. But I guess its better if I should play mental gymnastics and be ok with people getting killed.

Because the idea would go over like a 1984 lead balloon?

Because as Tesla just demonstrated with their "self driving cars".....

The technology ain't there.....and in the eyes of many people, it never will be.

There are some things that automatons simply aren't suited for.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:58 PM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Where is that fact demonstrated? I took a knife from a thief and am using it to hold him at bay until the police arrive. Kindly explain how you know I am trying to kill him. You got some little tiny monkey that flies around your head giving you truth?
I addressed that issue here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
We don't yet know if the dead girl was the original caller. But let's say she was. Let's say that she was the one being threatened, and somehow she got the knife away from the girl in pink, who in this scenario is the real aggressor, and she is wielding the knife only to defend herself.

If this is true, then when the police arrived, wouldn't she immediately move close to them in order to gain their protection? And then point out to them who the actual aggressor was? When law enforcement was right there, and in a position to neutralize any remaining threat against her, why would she attempt to stab the girl in pink instead of moving away from her?
And I'll add to say that NOT wielding it in such a way as to be imminently plunging it into someone's neck would also help her case.

Old 04-23-2021, 02:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
This is beyond stupid. Doing time for saving someone's life?

Please tell me you are being sarcastic and that you aren't really this dumb.

It's a 50/50 situation. You saved someones life, but you also ended another life. And this also wasn't a situation where it's self defense. He also came to the scene with incomplete information, and the first response was just to open fire on 2 people in very close proximity of each other. Which shows a level of negligence on his part. He could have EASILY shot both girls. In this situation any minor shift in body weight or positioning could have lead to the wrong girl or both girls being shot. The margin for error in this situation is low, and anything could have shifted the dynamics of this interaction.

So at the very least it was reckless. And it has lead to the loss of one life. It was not the best decision in this situation. There are factors that people aren't looking at.

• How long did the other girl have the knife
  • How long did this altercation go on?
  • I would assume the police were called when this altercation started. How long had the altercation gone on before the police arrived on the scene?
  • If the girl always had the knife the entire time, then why wasn't the other girl stabbed sooner?
  • Chances are being a second late on the shot would not have made any difference. Chances are the girl was in this position previously which didn't lead to her stabbing the other girl.

The only thing we do know is that the mother said that the girl who was shot was the one who called the cops. And that she was doing this in self defense. I'm assuming her mother is willing to take the stand whenever this case goes to court. And I don't believe the mother would commit an act of perjury.

I would say that it is a very high probability of his response being the wrong response. Period. It was a mistake that I could understand. But a mistake is a mistake. And mistakes should have consequences.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Because the idea would go over like a 1984 lead balloon?

Because as Tesla just demonstrated with their "self driving cars".....

The technology ain't there.....and in the eyes of many people, it never will be.

There are some things that automatons simply aren't suited for.
Law enforcement is a far more reasonable application than self driving cars. I explained how self driving cars have challenges because the dynamics associated with terrains and diverse roads. And how it requires expertise in a few fields to get right. Should as Geospatial analysis and machine learning.

Again, a police drone, or police robot is usually dealing with situations where there are less dynamics at play. So accurate assessments and more effective decision making can be done.

Self driving cars and automation of law enforcement is really a false equivalence. Particularly from a technology standpoint.

And I believe automation is suited for just about everything.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:05 PM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
It's a 50/50 situation. You saved someones life, but you also ended another life. And this also wasn't a situation where it's self defense. He also came to the scene with incomplete information, and the first response was just to open fire on 2 people in very close proximity of each other. Which shows a level of negligence on his part. He could have EASILY shot both girls. In this situation any minor shift in body weight or positioning could have lead to the wrong girl or both girls being shot. The margin for error in this situation is low, and anything could have shifted the dynamics of this interaction.

So at the very least it was reckless. And it has lead to the loss of one life. It was not the best decision in this situation. There are factors that people aren't looking at.

• How long did the other girl have the knife
  • How long did this altercation go on?
  • I would assume the police were called when this altercation started. How long had the altercation gone on before the police arrived on the scene?
  • If the girl always had the knife the entire time, then why wasn't the other girl stabbed sooner?
  • Chances are being a second late on the shot would not have made any difference. Chances are the girl was in this position previously which didn't lead to her stabbing the other girl.

The only thing we do know is that the mother said that the girl who was shot was the one who called the cops. And that she was doing this in self defense. I'm assuming her mother is willing to take the stand whenever this case goes to court. And I don't believe the mother would commit an act of perjury.

I would say that it is a very high probability of his response being the wrong response. Period. It was a mistake that I could understand. But a mistake is a mistake. And mistakes should have consequences.
If the people had been kind enough to put their altercation on pause, the officer would have had more time to figure out who was at fault for what and arrive at an amicable solution. But don't you see? The entire purpose of this thread is to point out that the officer did NOT have time to carefully deliberate his actions. He had mere seconds to make a life and death decision. And the consequence of NOT acting in time was that the girl in pink was going to die. It was a life-and-death situation, no matter what the officer did or did not do.

And as for the mother of the victim, I can certainly make allowances given that she is surely grief-stricken. But even under the best of circumstances, one's mother is not likely to be the most impartial of witnesses.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Had he acted slower, an unarmed girl would have been stabbed, possibly lethally.

What would the narrative be if the officer just watches a black girl get stabbed to death instead of doing his job and putting down the animal attacking her?
So he moved too quickly and has opened the possibility that he killed an innocent crime victim. Not the best kind of policing.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:08 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times
Quote:
No mistakes were made. The outcome was as intended, the threat of someone about to murder someone else was neutralized. If the young lady had a gun and was aiming it at the other woman, the outcome would have been the same. Knives make you just as dead as a gun can:

https://nypost.com/2021/04/23/french...illet-chateau/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies