Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 11:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,236,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
So what makes a Doctor or Nurse "medically misinformed" if they chose to not get a certain vaccine?
Actually I could see some surgeons requesting that only nurses that were vaccinated be allowed to manage their patients. These guys are hypersensitive to any potential situation that could change the outcome of a patient post surgery. The concern of a a nurse transmitting Covid to a post-op Cardiac or hip replacement patient might push some to make this type of request.

There are likely many factions within hospitals that are pushing and pulling against each other on this topic. Some areas may be deemed required for nurses and Docs to have the vaccine such as burn units, ICUs, and Operating rooms.

I am sure more will come out which should clear up who is requesting the vaccine as a requirement versus ones resisting. I doubt hospital administration is making the decision, it's likely the Medical chiefs and Nursing Directors.

Administration would only care if a lawsuit that may cost them money comes around, whether it is from a patient family member who became positive while inpatient and died in an area with unvaccinated healthcare staff or hospital staff suing in a class action suit that could cost big bucks to defend.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:40 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Why?
The 'why' in an emergency for most people is because they cannot sit around and plan and then decide and choose where to go for care. In a true emergency they go to the closest ER. And God help them if in this day and age they have to go to your asylum where the workers and doctors there have decided against Covid 19 vaccinations. A surreal scenario where the patients are still all at very major risk for contracting the disease.

Much more than anything hospitals care for old folks, and particularly medically complicated and high risk patients. With high risk people at their home and around them. This asylum would have huge potential as a Covid 19 breeding ground and super spreader. Its owners would soon be under the gun for such malpractice. Of course this is nonsense like the direction of the question.

Quote:
That's fine as your opinion, but it wasn't what was asked. So let me do this a different way. The flu kills 10's of thousands of people every year and overall vaccination in the US hovers at around 50% for the flu shot. So in the last 3 years have you asked every person that is directly involved with caring for you as a patient either in a hospital or doctor's office setting if they got their yearly flu shot? If you have not, why?
Influenza is a whole different ball game than Covid 19. Over a year into it and you don't know and see the difference? Influenza is not as virulent, and does not enter into communities in mass numbers, with any potential to over run local acute HC facilities since 1918. Influenza shows up here and there, now and again during its season. These dribs and drabs of medical encounters have been easily handled by acute HC facilities all over the world the past century. Flu season is an ingrained part of what they do. And why in any hospital I know of, yearly flu shots are required by those who are engaged in direct patient care.

Covid 19 was and still is in some locales a whole different ball game than Influenza, and most all acute HC facilities all over the world were ill prepared.

Quote:
So what makes a Doctor or Nurse "medically misinformed" if they chose to not get a certain vaccine?
A person engaged in direct patient care these days must be immune. Either a recovered Covid 19 patient or vaccinated. Otherwise they are a medical hazard to their patients and community, and an example of poor and less than standard of medical care. They need to move to another venue within medicine or exit medicine as an occupation entirely.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:26 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Let me ask this. If you are having a life-threatening emergency. Are you going to ask if everyone has been vaccinated? If they say no are you going to tell them to take you to another hospital?

Before COVID did you ask if everyone in the hospital had gotten their flu shot? How about other medical conditions that could be passed onto a patient? Doubtful, because you trusted that they took proper precautions such as using proper protection and not working while they are sick. So why would it be different with COVID?

If anything, there are more protocols in place than Pre-COVID, especially with additional PPE's. Where unlike the people who think a Cloth facemask that they use over and over protects them. The Medical Staff knows the proper protocols and those protocols can be very effective. Is it guaranteed...of course not. But neither is the vaccine.

People say that they should trust "science" and what medical professionals are saying. So if a Medical Professional uses their medical experience and chooses to not get the vaccine why is their expertise any less valid than a medical professional who decided to get one?
Before COVID-19 I would indeed have asked not to have someone unvaccinated for flu take care of me. I would prefer that the hospital do its best to protect me from catching flu in addition to whatever "emergency" landed me in their facility.

The "protocols" are not perfect. Patients have become infected with the coronavirus while in the hospital.

A "professional" who has no medical contraindication to it who refuses the vaccine is demonstrating an inadequate education in infectious disease.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:35 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Sounds like the hospital system wants to lose lots of money to lawsuits.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:44 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
are they saying the vaccinations completely prevent you from catching covid now?

..last I heard, the vaccinations did not stop you from catching or spreading covid...only kept you from getting as sick

Old 05-31-2021, 08:05 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
The EEOC has issued guidelines that say that yes, employers can mandate the vaccine.

So they are good to go regarding liability.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:05 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
are they saying the vaccinations completely prevent you from catching covid now?

..last I heard, the vaccinations did not stop you from catching or spreading covid...only kept you from getting as sick
No vaccine is 100% effective and no one claims the COVID-19 vaccines are.

The three vaccines used in the US do prevent infection and spread. That info has been available for several months.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:51 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The 'why' in an emergency for most people is because they cannot sit around and plan and then decide and choose where to go for care. In a true emergency they go to the closest ER. And God help them if in this day and age they have to go to your asylum where the workers and doctors there have decided against Covid 19 vaccinations. A surreal scenario where the patients are still all at very major risk for contracting the disease.

Much more than anything hospitals care for old folks, and particularly medically complicated and high risk patients. With high risk people at their home and around them. This asylum would have huge potential as a Covid 19 breeding ground and super spreader. Its owners would soon be under the gun for such malpractice. Of course this is nonsense like the direction of the question.
You are the one who initiated this line of question. But with the phrasing you are using it sounds like you are spouting the same doomsday scenarios that caused people to not leave their house for over a year. No..I am not saying that COVID doesn't exist. But you are basically saying that if a hospital has one unvaccinated person, that person by default has COVID and is going to kill everyone they come in contact with. When in fact the virus has an overall survivability rate of over 98%. I really wonder if you would be in favor of refusing any medical help to a person who has major trauma after they were hit by a drunk driver if they can't prove they were vaccinated.

Quote:
Influenza is a whole different ball game than Covid 19. Over a year into it and you don't know and see the difference? Influenza is not as virulent, and does not enter into communities in mass numbers, with any potential to over run local acute HC facilities since 1918. Influenza shows up here and there, now and again during its season. These dribs and drabs of medical encounters have been easily handled by acute HC facilities all over the world the past century. Flu season is an ingrained part of what they do. And why in any hospital I know of, yearly flu shots are required by those who are engaged in direct patient care.

Covid 19 was and still is in some locales a whole different ball game than Influenza, and most all acute HC facilities all over the world were ill prepared.
Actually, I see the correlation. Either you have selective amnesia or pandemics like this never crossed your mind until the MSM drilled COVID into your head every day for over a year.

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-h...-flu-patients/

I am not sure about your definition of overrun or widespread, but having reports from across the US of states declaring a State of Emergency, hospitals being forced to treat someone in a tent, limiting visitors, and having to cancel elective surgeries seems like the Health Care system may have been just a bit overwhelmed. Does any of that sound the least bit familiar? By the way, if you didn't pay too close attention to the article the year was 2018.

You say that was just a one-time thing. Well you want to go back a bit farther...here is one from 2009.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...ls1-story.html

You can also look back further at the Flu Pandemics of 1957 and 1968.

Oh and just in case you were wondering about your medical professionals and their vaccination rates, including the ones at facilities the REQUIRE them to be vaccinated, here is something from the CDC that may get you to rethink your assumptions.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professional...areworkers.htm

As per the CDC overall vaccination rate for the flu is at about 80%. Yes, people like Doctors or Nurses are higher, but NOT 100% and there are others that are still involved in DIRECT patient care such as PA's (88%) and this still showed almost 8% of nurses were unvaccinated. Yes, the vaccination rate is higher than the overall population, but it is not 100%. Even at hospitals where it required the overall rate was only about 94%.

Quote:
A person engaged in direct patient care these days must be immune. Either a recovered Covid 19 patient or vaccinated. Otherwise they are a medical hazard to their patients and community, and an example of poor and less than standard of medical care. They need to move to another venue within medicine or exit medicine as an occupation entirely.
Here you are talking about Medical Misinformation and what do you throw out...immunity of a recovered COVID 19 patient. While there are reports of immunity once you had COVID, the majority of "published" reports still say that it isn't confirmed or how long it will last and you still need the vaccine. Nothing has been indicated that this hospital would accept a previous infection as an exception. However, this is something you apparently would accept? But again back to the other point, the vaccine does not make you "immune", overall it is only about 95% effective.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:00 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Hospitals are very risky places, and you will see that all patient contact employees will get vaccinated in due time. As far as previous infection being good enough, there is data, but as you infer not accepted yet at the official level.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Well in another thread - A Liberal said, it's not being forced. Well here you Go.

My job forces this on me - Out the door with most of the other Nursing staff. We're a small community Hosp. Watch out what you wish for.

You think there's a shortage now - Hah.
I was a food service worker for a hospital for only 3 months; had to report for vaccinations twice in that period of time. It comes with the hospital territory --- if anyone has an issue with getting vaccines --- do not go to work for a hospital, even as a janitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies