Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 03:24 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,155,161 times

Advertisements

I've cut and pasted this from a forum I lurk in but am not a member or participant (yet). Someone made a good post in a long thread about reparations, and a person who replied made some good points also.
I am in agreement with both posts. The statement "Proposals like this (reparations) are not how a serious country would deal with these demands." Precisely! But we are not a serious country anymore.

Post 1: At this point it would be wise for America to consider giving this choice to black Americans (well descendants of slaves): reparations and expulsion or continuing to be an American citizen with all rights and responsibilities but with a crackdown on activism.

Every American has a sob story, or else we’d be Europeans and Asians. Being transplanted in a slave trade is a big sob story and it was wrong - but far from unique to blacks. By feeling you deserve reparations you’re admitting you don’t feel you belong here due to your ethnic background and you being here is a glitch. Reparations corrects the glitch.

Potential scenario how this could work out - adjust for inflation 40 acres and a mules market value in 1865 and pay that in cash. But if you take it you must leave America for good. Takers of the reparations are free from whites and America for good, to go be someone else’s problem. It’s a win-win.

Post 2
: As a kid in the 00s racism seemed ridiculous on all sides. Blacks were just black Americans. Now I’ve noticed many blacks don’t want anything to do with white people and want to be separate. If you want reparations and to be free of whitey let’s just go our separate ways.

Proposals like this are not how a serious country would deal with these demands. Negotiation presumes a problem exists in the first place which needs to be solved. It concedes that “something” must be “done.” There is no such problem.

A serious country would not even acknowledge the demands. The only option would be to either conduct oneself in accordance with the law and acceptable standards of social conduct or go to prison. Upon release the convicted and and his fellow collaborators would be exiled for engaging in subversion, extortion, and revolutionary activity. That’s all.

Last edited by mrkool; 04-26-2021 at 03:33 PM..

Old 04-26-2021, 04:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 456,538 times
I'm fine with some form of repreations.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:57 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,155,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
I'm fine with some form of repreations.
Really? Does this change your mind at all? It's an article from 2018 written by Ryan Faulk (Alternative Hypothesis) estimating the fiscal impact of different races in America.
Link: https://thealternativehypothesis.org...-race-in-2018/

Blacks as a group already cost the USA $660 billion every year. Looks like reparations to me.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:00 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,282,661 times
I think everyone that gets something....should have to sign a contract to $T4U

Old 04-26-2021, 05:03 PM

1,162 posts, read 456,538 times
Here's the thing:

You give out some form of repreations and it's never discussed again. Done

Old 04-26-2021, 05:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I've cut and pasted this from a forum I lurk in but am not a member or participant (yet). Someone made a good post in a long thread about reparations, and a person who replied made some good points also.
I am in agreement with both posts. The statement "Proposals like this (reparations) are not how a serious country would deal with these demands." Precisely! But we are not a serious country anymore.

Post 1: At this point it would be wise for America to consider giving this choice to black Americans (well descendants of slaves): reparations and expulsion or continuing to be an American citizen with all rights and responsibilities but with a crackdown on activism.
Will everyone get the same crackdown?

Creating a separate standard for some and not others is exactly how the USA ended up paying Reparations per your example. And I know these are just hypotheticals so I don't mean to come across as if I am attacking, I acknowledge this is just a thought exercise.

If you can march on the Capitol as a Caucasian US citizen then you should be able to do it as a US citizen regardless of race.

Besides who defines what "Activism" is and is not. A protest is a form but so is a song, or poetry, or a forum post.
And how does that definition score with the constitution that rules ALL citizens equally regardless of Race since 1968 (Some of you have been alive longer than Black folk have been an equal citizen, that is still shocking to me when I think about that)?

Old 04-26-2021, 05:17 PM

43,116 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Why would they want White people's money now ? They don't even like White people anymore.
My money is tainted with privilege, dripping with white supremacy guilt and a symbol of civil war slave masters.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:20 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
I’m for reparations in the form of free education. Make college free for all who graduate high school or get their GED. Just handing out money will not do them any favors.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:27 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,511,188 times
This is all part of the new narrative that there was and is history of discrimination. It is the intentional effort to deny people their history and identity. It may be framed in different ways, but that is goal.

From the enslavement of Black men and women in the 1600's, to the intentional destruction of middle class black neighborhoods by running interstates through them (for example Jackson Ward and Byrd Park in Richmond), to red-lining neighborhoods, to closing public school systems to prevent integration, to even the war on drugs - it became a health problem and not just law enforcement when it reached white suburban life, the systemic pattern survives.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:41 PM

43,116 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I’m for reparations in the form of free education. Make college free for all who graduate high school or get their GED. Just handing out money will not do them any favors.
Money.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/15/us/sl...rnd/index.html

"It is estimated that the United States alone benefited from a total of 222,505,049 hours of forced labor between 1619 and the abolition of slavery in 1865. Valued at the US minimum wage, with a modest rate of interest, that is worth $97 trillion today."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies