Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times

Advertisements

We all know Blacks have some major track or back ground from a Country in the Continent of Africa, but what really is the Major difference in the three? From Bone Structure, Ad-mixtures of other races as well as other races mixed in, Cultures, Religion's etc. I do know some of the differences but I'm sure there are many I do not know or others may not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 05:54 PM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
Blacks came to the Americas ( including the Caribbean) as slaves. Most of them are from West Africa. So people from West Africa and Central Africa are related to today's african population in North America, Central America, South America and the Caribbean.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:25 PM

55 posts, read 102,172 times
American Blacks - have African and North west European ancestry and customs. "Afro Gaelic" is probably the best dual ethnic label for african americans.

Caribbeans Blacks - like african americans, though on average from DNA results i've seen, have less euro or native ancestry and more in touch with african customs (Haiti example).

latin american blacks - have African and Iberian ancestry and customs. also tends to have more native ancestry "afro hispanic"

Africans Blacks - (honestly i don't know too much about africans) I assume they are the most in touch with african ancestry and customs.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Not really sure what the question has to do with genealogy....

But the differences today are culture. I am a black American. I am not culturally an Afro-Caribbean or an African. I am an American.

Genetically (since this is a genealogy forum) I agree with Takezoe in that black Americans have more of a combination of European and African ancestry based upon us being in this country with Europeans for over 300 years. There are small amounts of other genetic variety but mostly African and European.

Afro-Caribbeans, it depends on which island whether or not they are in touch with African customs. Haiti is unique IMO in regards to being "more" African genetically and culturally versus, say the Dominican Republic, which shares the same island as Haiti. Afro-Caribbeans have a diverse genetic mix depending on the island it can be Asian Indian (example would be Trinis, which was discussed on the forum before), East Asian (Chinese in various islands as well), Indigenous American, European, and African.

Afro-Latinos are similar to Afro-Caribbeans genetically but would have more genetic diversity from the Indigenous American population and Europe and Africa and not as much from Asia (though there were Asians in Central/South America as well).

Will also not for black Americans, that I did a lot of research last year on some of my colonial ancestors. There were Asian Indians brought to America and made into slaves and/or indentured servants. The indigenous population in what became the American colonies were also made into slaves and/or indentured servants between the 1600 and 1700s. I communicate with a lot of black American researchers and over 95% of them have taken genetic DNA tests. Many of us have found connections with each other due to the location our ancestors have lived and I have made contact with a lot of very distant cousins. They have DNA from Africa, Europe, Asia, and Indigenous American populations so genetically black Americans are pretty diverse.

Africans also have a wide range of genetic diversity and those who were reared in and who live in their ancestral homelands, they would adhere to the culture of their ethnic group and/or nation.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:25 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
All of this is Great info and very informative!!! Lot's of people have no clue the differences

Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 4,226 times
I'm African American. My culture is American culture. Most African Americans don't practice African cultures because it wasn't handed down to us. That's why we don't speak African languages, most of us don't make African foods etc...
My Caribbean friends however, do practice Caribbean culture but they also embrace American culture. But all of them immigrated here, mainly 1st or 2nd generation. They don't have family history in that goes back centuries in America. That's the biggest difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy