Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 07:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

I think the issue here is it's difficult for people on the margins to get photo ID, and get registered to vote.

Currently in Austin there is a proposition on the ballot to ban public camping, to try to curtail other cities from bringing their homeless to Austin to live here in our parks and under our overpasses. There is a big effort by those against banning public camping to get those who are actually homeless under bridges out to vote.

The effort is herculean, to get someone who is on the edges of society to be able to legally cast a vote. So that's the pushback, of the 23% who see that requiring photo ID will keep some citizens, who otherwise are eligible to vote, from the polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 07:24 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
The same problem that requiring an ID for almost anything else one does in life. Proving you are who you say you are!
Understood. It has been showed that requiring ID will prevent a number of US citizens from voting (largely due to financial roadblocks to getting IDs). If there isn't actual proof of non-US citizens voting in US elections, we need to ask if we're actually adding value here. So, this comes back to me asking for distinct legal proof of non-US citizens voting in US elections.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Voter fraud by Democrats, like the widespread fraud we saw on election night and the week that followed in 2020.
No, we didn't see widespread fraud by democrats.

We heard widespread false allegations, and saw little pockets of fraud perpetrated by both democrats and republicans, the way we always do.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Voter fraud by Democrats, like the widespread fraud we saw on election night and the week that followed in 2020.
I am pro voter ID.

As to voter fraud, all that is necessary is evidence. Judge's, including Republican judges, some of whom appointed by Trump, dismissed 60+ suits alleging voter fraud due to lack of evidence. That “ someone said” is not evidence.

Trump’s hand- picked AG made clear there was no evidence of voter fraud that would change the outcome of the 2020 election..

Can you imagine if Hillary, who lost by fewer votes than Trump, declined to concede and rallied her base to stop the steal?

Old 04-27-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHome4Ever View Post
No, it's not difficult for anyone to get a photo ID. That is a false argument. It's incredibly easy to get a photo ID. Let's just stop with the false notion that black and brown people are too dumb to know how to get an ID.
If you're actually interested in this question, I could post a link where you could contact those who are moving mountains to get the homeless in Austin registered to vote.

"Incredibly easy" is a relative term, and it's not about being "too dumb". It's about being on the fringe.

I don't know the ratio of people who have trouble getting photo ID and what race they are, but if you live on the fringe it's highly unlikely you have a birth certificate and a utility bill or apartment lease contract on you handy.

I'm for requiring photo ID - but on the other hand, I fully understand that some segments of our society who are otherwise legal voters won't be able to obtain a photo ID without a real effort.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:34 AM

17,631 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am pro voter ID.

As to voter fraud, all that is necessary is evidence. Judge's, including Republican judges, some of whom appointed by Trump, dismissed 60+ suits alleging voter fraud due to lack of evidence. That “ someone said” is not evidence.

Trump’s hand- picked AG made clear there was no evidence of voter fraud that would change the outcome of the 2020 election..

Can you imagine if Hillary, who lost by fewer votes than Trump, declined to concede and rallied her base to stop the steal?
Stay tuned. Lawsuits take time. Anyone with any experience with the legal system knows that it takes years for a case to get to trial.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:37 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
The real issue is not that IDs will reduce election fraud - they won't. But they will increase the cost for election fraud since fake IDs are more expensive.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Clara, for the extremely few number of people who cannot get to a facility to get their ID taken, we can certainly send someone to them. I mean we are doing that with the vaccine. We are going right to their house to give them the vaccine.

Come on Clara. Just stop.
This is not an issue of "getting someone to a facility".

It's about producing identification that is sufficient to get a photo ID.

You're not understanding the problem here, at all. The problem isn't getting to a place to take their picture.

The problem is identifying themselves sufficiently to qualify for a photo ID. And that requires ID. Getting an ID, requires ID.

A birth certificate plus a utility bill with their name on it, for example.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:44 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Here is a link where you can click on a database to see the actual cases of people CONVICTED of voter fraud.

Actual Voter Fraud
Thank you. When I filter that link down to impersonation fraud, I notice there hasn't been a single case of it since 2017. Given requiring ID to vote can prevent millions of citizens from voting, and there isn't data suggesting widespread fraud of non-US citizens voting in US elections exists, it seems requiring ID to vote would harm democracy more than help it.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:49 AM

15,845 posts, read 6,547,612 times
As long as the government subsidizes the acquisition of secure photo ID, I have no problem with that. I don't care that the cost isn't that high; financing the ID eliminates a political objection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies